Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2008, 06:50   #1

The Importance of Going Cruising NOW!

I can't stress strongly enough that if you have the dream and desire to go cruising, do it NOW!!! As Lew Hackler says in Sensible Cruising:
"To postpone cruising indefinitely in order to earn enough money to purchase just the right boat is to risk missing them altogether."

"We have no guarantee of tomorrow. If you dream of cruising, start today. Take the small cruiser you have now and go cruising. Buy the small cruiser you can afford now and go cruising.
No wealth can buy the requisite leisure, freedom, and independence which are the capital in his profession.
The perfect boat is not the one you dream about. It is the boat that takes you cruising."

"Calculate the cost of the cruise you have in mind - sensibly- then dedicate yourself to earning and saving. When the bank account hits the magic number, do not delay another day. Load the boat and go.
There is no glory so bright but the veil of business can hide it effectually. With most men life is postponed to some trivial business..."

Thank the Lord I followed that advice for years. This last Monday morning, just after 2 a.m. I was rudely awakened by crushing chest pains and in a cold sweat. Fortunately I live only six blocks from one of the major hospitals here in Broward County, FL and my roommate drove me to the emergency room (I got there a lot faster than if I'd called 911 because I was being treated before an ambulance would have arrived!).

In less than an hour I was having a coronary catheterization done and the implantation of three stents. Thanks to modern medicine I feel fine and was released on Wednesday afternoon.

I'm sure I'll be out on the water again, but we never, ever know what's going to happen to us. If I hadn't gone when I had the chance I would have missed out on three years in the Med, the beauty of the entire reef line of Belize, the mouth-dropping grandeur of the Rio Dulce gorge, seeing a moonbow while sailing across the Atlantic, the Great Circle tour of the US...all once dreams, now accomplished.

If you have a dream...live it now!

oldsalt_1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 07:15   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
AMEN........
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 07:43   #3

Boat: Flicka
Send a message via AIM to conrad
So glad yor feeling better and Thank YOU for the great advice........
Old 17-07-2008, 07:46   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Good reminder. Many folks want everything before they set out but there are still folks that go with less. Last week there was a couple from Norway at our club in Toronto. They had set out from Norway in a Contessa 26. No engine, they used the outboard for their dinghy to power the sailboat through the canal system. So, if you want to do it bad enough it can be done.
Old 17-07-2008, 07:51   #5

Boat: Tayana 37- Victoria Rose
"You can always make more money..... you can't make more time"

That's the quote that convinced my wife and I to quit our jobs and go cruising. So far, no regrets so far.

Oldsalt- we're glad you're doing fine, and happy that you lived your dream. Great advice for those serious about cruising.

Steve
Sailabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 08:37   #6

And don't forget, the sunset is just as brilliant on a 26 footer with no motor as it is on a gold plater.

A small boat and a suitcase full of money beats a 40 footer tied to a bank.
oldsalt_1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 08:50   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
oldsalt,

Sometimes it is a WEE BIT prettier, that sunset from a 26 footer. The effort to get there makes it so.

Quite a bit of wisdom there!!!!!!!!!!!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 13:00   #8
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
I am happy you are doing better now, congratulations and thanks god you were in a Country where all the possible medical help was at hand.

Best

JC
Old 17-07-2008, 15:01   #9

Boat: Cal 2-27 liveaboard and Moore 24 racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt_1942 View Post
+1. Awesome awesome quote. Great post and great advice. I'm 23 and leave in November.... I would rather go while young and poorly financed than work/ wait till im old and wealthy.
Old 17-07-2008, 16:08   #10

Works for us!!!
Cruising on our 27 foot Nor'Sea.

Glad you were able to get the medical help!

Now get back out here Grin...

Greg & Jill
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 12:35   #11

Boat: 36' Gulfstar Trawler
old salt 1942

glad to hear that you made it to the hospital in time, and that you are now ok. you were wise to go cruising when you could, and even now with your medical condition you can still be on the water living your dream, although you might want to stay closer to civilization and decent medical facilities. keep us posted as to your next adventures, please.

as for the quote, it is from rick the mouseherder when he was living on his westsail 32 in the caribbean. it goes something like this, I believe:

"a small boat and a suitcase for of money beats a 50 footer tied to the bank every time.

go cheap.

go small.

go now."

thank you for sharing your wisdom with us.
Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 13:13   #12

Old Salt, you are a wise man. May I raise a beer to you and wish you fair winds and a long happy life.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 14:36   #13

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSail View Post
Old Salt, you are a wise man. May I raise a beer to you and wish you fair winds and a long happy life.
Hear! Hear!!
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 15:50   #14

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
A slightly different perspective...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt_1942 View Post
I can't stress strongly enough that if you have the dream and desire to go cruising, do it NOW!!! As Lew Hackler says in Sensible Cruising:
"To postpone cruising indefinitely in order to earn enough money to purchase just the right boat is to risk missing them altogether."

"We have no guarantee of tomorrow.
Old Salt -- glad you are OK..

I agree with this statement as it's not about the boat... having a reasonable well found boat is all you need. The size, level of comfort etc is a personal decision.

However.. you need to also have your house in order, financial and medical.

I had been out cruising for the past couple of years and not really following this board, however I started lurking again this spring. The reason dropped off is was out cruising but..

This past winter while in the Bahamas had a MAJOR medical issue. Luckily we were at an island that had a nurse and an airstrip AND I HAD PROPER INSURANCE.

After some phone conversations I was medevaced back to the states [in less than 12 hours] and the docs did a major surgery and saved my life. If I had not gotten to a first line surgical center within 24 hrs or so we would not be having this conversation. If I did not have reasonable insurance I'm not sure I could have afforded the cure nor would have gotten to the level of medical care I need.

So my only caution is have your house in order. If you are 30 or so medical is probably not a big deal but as you get older more can go wrong [hopefully never does for you]. So understand while there are really great things to see and do out there, also risks exists not just those the sea bring.

p.s SSCA members will see the details of my experience in the bulletin within the next couple of months.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 15:56   #15
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Jon,

Really glad things worked out well for you!

Can you share your choice of Insurers? I'm certain others on the Forum would like to know, since it worked so well for you.