Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2008, 02:34   #31

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Money? why not go & work along the way. If you have a trade, profession or any skills that might be salable and your dying to go, do it! We have the boat, not much money, 1 teenager who finishes high school this year, when he finishes we are off!
A guy from our local harbour 66 years old just retired, left on his dream cruise, back after 2 months, has now put boat on the market, Why I asked? His answer was, I'm not fit enough, I've left it too late!!!!

I'm 56 still reasonably fit from surfing all my life, but the hands off time are ticking up by backbone, as I can't do what I use to do in the water. We are renting the house to pay the mortgage and will pick up work when and where required.

Do it now! Don't sit in the retirement home wondering, WHAT IF?

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 04:37   #32

see you out there Glenn ..similar situation....we cross fingers for a launch before Christmas and a smooth shake down.......
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 05:38   #33

This thread really struck home with me. Saturday, the rector came and gave my dad the Episcopal version of the last rights and I am surprised he has hung on this long. He is 90 and had a good life and saw the world, fought in the big war, built a couple of successful businesses, raised a family and traveled everywhere. A few years ago when his health started failing, he told me to see as much of the world as I could while I could still do it. He said that he had plenty of time and the money but still couldn't do much and felt like he was "all dressed up with no place to go". As Bob Marley said' "live it up".
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 06:34   #34
cruiser

I can't help but to post again... I read posts in between this and my last saying, "money... just work along the way" and this type of thing.

I have to ask questions:

1) Has anyone in the "go now" camp ever really looked at what it costs (even in a 27ft boat) to hop from country to country? Have you tallied up the entry fees for your boat, places where anchoring is banned or taken up by moorings, what a new sail costs, what it costs to get new anchor and chain, bottom paint, zincs, and to purchase food and water in many islands?

2) Have you ever looked into what is involved in "just working as you go?" How many countries let foreign people work in them, displacing the local workers? Who will sponsor your work visa?

3) Have you *lived* aboard a boat at anchor every day and every night? Have you anchored 4 miles out because nobody will let you anchor in the main harbor, since it's full of moorings and has a "no anchoring" ordinance? If so, have you done it in a 25' boat and a 45' boat? Do you understand the level of motion you are subject to in the tiny boat? Do you know what that motion does to the psyche day in and day out, living on the boat as your stuff/dishes go crashing around?

4) If you just get a mooring in that crowded harbor, instead of anchoring 4 miles out, do you know what that costs a month?

It is only possible to "go now" (successfully, keeping at it) if you have a pile - and i mean PILE of cash. It can't be done for more than a couple years on $25K. Any time you are deferring maintenance on your boat, you are just "adding that cost to your tab", which will come due at some point on the cruise. That tab will come due and the boat will probably charge you some interest too!

Now... if you have a house, assets, portfolios, etc... I'm not talking to you. You DO HAVE piles of money and can go now. I'm mostly talking to the others like me.. who don't have the pile of money and are contemplating doing as we did... we "just went" but never got to cruise because it was too expensive to do so. We need to work for several more years to save up the enormous capital required for open-ended voyaging on the oceans.

I write this to make sure those reading this thread temper the dream with reality. If you just go for your dream, unprepared, it could very well turn out to be a nightmare - or at least a very boring dream... ha ha

Oh... PS: If we're talking "waiting around in a retirement home thinking what if..." GO NOW! If you are older, and have a little gap of time between now and retirement home time, I see no reason not to take extreme risks. Worst case... you run out of money, lose the boat, get deported back to your homeland and can check into the govt run retirement home with some good stories under your belt. Definitely worth the risk!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 06:55   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
FWIW:
Maggie and I quit our jobs, sold our home, paid off the boat, and went cruising when we were in our very early 40s.
We spent the kitty within 2 years, then continued to work as we went for 7 more years, only quitting due to family commitments.
Our “work as you go” program limited us to 6 month (winter cruises), paid for out the proceeds of 6 month working sojourns (summer).
Due to health & conditioning, I couldn’t do it now. I couldn’t even cruise, the way I’d want to (/w active lifestyle). Glad we did it then.

PS: Given any kind of budget, I'd be looking for a Catamaran nowadays.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 06:57   #36

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
Oh... PS: If we're talking "waiting around in a retirement home thinking what if..." GO NOW! If you are older, and have a little gap of time between now and retirement home time, I see no reason not to take extreme risks. Worst case... you run out of money, lose the boat, get deported back to your homeland and can check into the govt run retirement home with some good stories under your belt. Definitely worth the risk!
Sean that is true and so funny to read.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 07:54   #37
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Sean,

It would depend on what kind of lifestyle you want when cruising. We just spent 3 weeks in the Bahamas, and only spent money for our cruising fee. We could have stayed for the full 6 months, but I had to return to work. We took everything with us we would need. We did spend money for fuel, but that was because we were on a schedule to pick people up in Miami, and once again return them to Miami. Otherwise I might have used only 10 gallons instead of 100?

When we were cruising excluding the hurricane season. We spent money for basically food, and once in a while a t-shirt, or some other nick nack. We hardly ever ate out, and we did what we could for free. Sit under the night sky, watch sunrises, and sunsets, snorkel, hike, explore with the dinghy, and most of all a bit of socializing with other cruisers. We chose to visit more secluded spots, and avoided being a tourist in a manner of speaking.

We are not good at fishing, so once the freezer was empty of course we had to buy food. This included purchasing liquids for evening sunsets to help enhance the reflection of where we were at.

It seems to me for a young man with all your talents. It would be possible to help other cruisers along with some needs. Many don't know how to, or even wish to get dirty. Some can't get their computers to work properly. I have met a number of cruisers that while helping people along the way earned money to feed themselves.

There are cruisers who work, and sail 6 & 6 months. I myself always came back to Florida to wait out the hurricane seasons. Now I am paying for a slip, but inexpensive slips can be found. My current slip is an example. I did not work, except for working on the boat. My wife always got a small job, so she could get off the boat, and have some spending money. We had no car, so she would bike to work. If she worked late I would meet her, so she wouldn't have to be alone at night.

There is more than one way to skin a cat, and a sharp fella like you can do it. I am going to bet. If you made your boat ready, and this includes having the fuel tanks topped off, the freezer full, and had $10,000.00 in cash with no debt. That a year later you would still have that same 10k.

I know there is a debt on the boat, but if you sunk nearly every penny you make into that debt. You would be investing in yourself, and soon find yourself saving that $10k. Just your Captains license is a way to make money, and legally.

It's better to go now while you are young, and strong. I went at 41, and had to return to work. Again I went at 51, and stayed for 4 years with out earning a penny along the way. I am now setting my goal to once again leave, and it will be at, or near 61, and finally retired with an income.

So what if you have to come back, and work. You will better for it because you will have learned. Just maybe you won't have to comeback. Maybe you will become the new John Neal?

There are many people that never leave, because they don't have this, or they don't have that. Then they get sick, and die. Maybe they just don't have the strength to go, and stay out there. You have smarts, you have a lady willing to go through the tough with you, and you are one hardworking man. Make your priority list. From that make your goal in the amount of money, and then go. I will bet you won't need as much cash as you think you need.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 07:59   #38

Boat: 36' Gulfstar Trawler
small boat, go now

" a suitcase FULL of money " is how the quote should read.

sorry.

my usual dyslexia showing itself.

THIMK!
Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 08:51   #39
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
FWIW:
Maggie and I quit our jobs, sold our home, paid off the boat, and went cruising when we were in our very early 40s.
We spent the kitty within 2 years, then continued to work as we went for 7 more years, only quitting due to family commitments.
Our “work as you go” program limited us to 6 month (winter cruises), paid for out the proceeds of 6 month working sojourns (summer).
Due to health & conditioning, I couldn’t do it now. I couldn’t even cruise, the way I’d want to (/w active lifestyle). Glad we did it then.

PS: Given any kind of budget, I'd be looking for a Catamaran nowadays.
Gord, if you ever do want to get out on a catamaran for a sail, and you are in my area... please let me know.

I'd be glad to take you out for a sail.

Imagine2Frolic: I hear you. It's just that I don't (personally) like pretending a cost isn't there if it is.

Take the 3 week short Bahamas trip. You went over and said you paid for nothing aside from your cruising fee? IIRC, that's what... $350, right? Your post don't mention the following costs on that trip: Food, Water (if you haven't already purchased a $3000 watermaker) and deferred boat maintenance costs, as well as the purchase price of the vessel, use taxes, registration and documentation fees. All of these are *real* costs associated with cruising.

Now let's take food. We spend $400/mo for 2 people right now in the States. The islands have higher food costs. So we're looking at $350 (entrance fee) +$400 (groceries) assuming your boat is infinite and doesn't break down. However, your boat is not infinite and was not given to you for free. So... my figures ($24K for 2 years) apply perfectly to your outing in the Bahamas. The only difference is that you would not pay the $350 entrance fee every month - unless you were cruising (AKA moving from country to country).

That $24K figure for 2 years is the bare min on any boat. That barely includes any upkeep or anything other than food and a few entrance fees.

I'm a realist. These are real costs. I would like to compare this to an old post of yours. My intention isn't to upset a guy I like, but to draw from another example post to illustrate your calculations: it kind of sounds like that post where you were talking about opening an autobody shop for $2000 in CA. I had piped there, and definitely don't want to annoy a guy a have a lot of respect for. However, that example sounded like a pretty low figure to me as well. A sign to hang out in the front of the shop costs about $2000, nevermind rent, tools, advertising, phones, employee costs, etc... I would say that in both posts (that one and this one) there are quite a few missing expenses that you would have to account for.

Again... definitely not trying to be a jerk. Just want to bring up the point that your estimates on expenses of cruising (and opening a bricks and mortar business) seem to (to me) to be a little low.

However, I do understand the *spirit* of your post and am quite thankful for your great outlook on life and positive spin. I just want to point out that the expenses you are quoting are leaving out a lot off stuff that would give an accountant an ulcer. lol

Personally, I can't just pretend costs don't exist when they are there. That would be a path to homelessness for me.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 09:42   #40

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
I don't understand why people seem to approach cruising as an "all or nothing" scenario.

If you do the math, building a career while cruising locally will give you much more potential cruising time later, compared to working for scraps now and building a little 'kitty' to sustain you for a year or so at a time. Plus, those scraps tend to get increasingly smaller as you get increasingly older.

If your goal is simply to 'see the world', remember that a jet works just fine for while you're career building.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 10:06   #41
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
You're not being a jerk. You're trying to figure it out

As I said I started with $2k of my own money. I borrowed $8k, and paid it back within a year. My partner brought $20k, and I bought them out in 18 months. It was a muffler shop, and I never inteneded to say the shop started with only 2k. I started with 2k, my brain, and my back.

I never took advantage of anyone, and did a straight up business with customers, and partners. In 5 years I walked away with my boat paid for in cash. My beautiful brick home paid for in cash, in Florida, and didn't work for 4 years. I lived like a church mouse to save that money, and kept investing in the business property by sending every extra cent I could. Most would be out spending the money.

When we left for the Bahamas everything on the boat was paid for. You will eat no matter where you go, and when you get to expensive areas. You just eat cheaper foods if it is not in your budget. If you go to St. Maarten they have a huge grocery store that is cheaper than the U.S.A., and refitting the boat is cheaper there too. No matter where you are you will, and fix the boat.

I am trying to give you encouragement, and it is with what I myself have accomplished, not hearsay. Life is full of choices, and you can tear down walls, or build them. It's your choice, and I am hoping you choose to be more positive, and get your goal accomplished. Nothing in life is a given. You yourself should know that better than most. Don't let a mishap in your past hold you back. I myself had a similiar mishap to my fortunes as your own. I never looked back. I just moved forward, and focused on what I wanted. It can come back to you.....BEST WISHES in getting what you want....John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dining.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	4401   Click image for larger version

Name:	POOL2.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	4402  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5877.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	4403  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 12:04   #42

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
Geeze ssullivan $400 a month for TWO!!!!!!!.......

Do you eat filet at every meal? I manage to feed a family of 4 on half that and we eat well. We don't eat out often so that maybe the difference.

I could, by myself, cruise happily for under $500 a month including food and maintenance and fuel. I don't keep insurance beyond 500k liability, the boat has been refit and should be good for at least another decade unless something really bad happens but even then its a SMALL OLD boat and I can fix anything. I can't afford to pay anyone else so I HAVE to be able to do it myself. I don't care much what anyone thinks of my appearance so old clothes(even a bit ragged) are fine and if the boat gets looking a bit run down, so be it.

Rice and beans are always a good CHEAP base for life. Ask anyone in the less developed world. I fish and am not above eating Spam and corned beef. I make tortillas instead of bread and can, it seems, tolerate my own cooking although my wife has been known to look carefully at some of what I've served.

As soon as my kid is finished college(paid partially by my hard work)or she turns 21, I'm off for at least a year. If my mother or mother in law passes before then (we look after MIL) it may be sooner, not that I want to rush the old girls or anything.

I do agree with you MOST people are not going to be able to live as frugally(primitivly?) as I, but then it IS all about choice. If you can't go ONLY because you don't have enough money, maybe you don't really want to go all that bad.

You can find work arounds for just about any problem you encounter. You can also find ways to ignore those work arounds if you want to.

As has been said before "if only I'd left when I was young". I'm getting older, 50 this year and not likely(read never) to make anywhere near as much money as you think is required unless I hit the lotto so I have a choice to make. Go or don't.

You already know what my choice is............martin
Old 21-07-2008, 15:51   #43

Boat: Looking with intent
Time does not wait and can not be banked

Folks,

I have read the posts here and can say that by will and work I done most of what I have wanted in life. I have met many folks who look at me strange for all the things I have done at the young age of 41. Let me let you in on a secret, I was lazy. If I had really applied myself I could of done a lot more.

Right now we are are in a bit of a holding pattern to see how two things pan out. The first is whether my wonderful wife will enjoy sailing (if momma ain't happy...), thou she is warming up to the idea and that is a good sign. The second is a twist not expected. During my treatment for thyroid cancer the Surgeon took out a few things that where not on the agenda. That and a side effect of the radiation therapy have left me with hypoparathyroidism to over come so that IF she likes it we can work to get a boat, move the family on board (two kids and one on the way) and get sailing.

Sean, if you ever want help on the EU and any different business ideas for over here let me know. I will give what help I can. I am not superman and my feet are clay just like anyone else. Only I have this bad habit of not knowing when it is a good time to lay down from a fight.

So to those who are thinking about, figure your budget add 30% and get it going. To those out there, hopefully will be seeing you soon.

Michael
Old 21-07-2008, 15:56   #44

Can't expect a champagne lifestyle on a beer budget

It all comes down to what your idea of cruising is.

Is cruising living like the rich and famous? Rental cars and dinners out at every new island? Never working and living the life of a glamorous retiree?

For me it's a working lifestyle. Work on my own boat because I can't pay others to do it for me. Work on others boats or odd jobs for money. Move around periodically but always on a budget, always looking for work. I'd be doing the same thing on land, but without the waterfront views.

Thank you Sully for posting all the reasons why one must be rich to go cruising, hopefully lots of people will believe you so that there will be fewer 'out there' competing with me, and more rich people who don't want to work on their own boats.

Nothing builds self-reliance and selfconfidence like stepping off into the big blue with just a couple of coins in your pocket. The surest way to find out what you're made of.

I read something recently that stated there are over 500,000 households in the US that are worth over 10 million dollars. With so many people out there that are richer than them, a lot of these multimillionaires are considering themselves middle class. There are sooo many people with more money! The point being, wealth is relative to your peer group. If you're hanging around the marinas in Ft. Lauderdale, you're probably going to feel poor no matter what you have. See how most of the world lives, you'll probably feel rich.

I'm in the camp that says, if it's your dream, go now! It may not end up being everything that you thought it was, but it's for you to find out.
Old 21-07-2008, 16:56   #45

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
see you out there Glenn ..similar situation....we cross fingers for a launch before Christmas and a smooth shake down.......

Hi Cooper,

will you be heading north from the dandelongs?

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote