Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2015, 05:12   #166

Re: How do you deal with a bad captain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter79 View Post
He yelled basically the entire trip. He yelled every order at us, when there was no reason to do so. If it's loud, sure, you need to yell. When it's calm and you're just telling us to pull the line in or whatever, there's no reason to yell.
There is almost no reason to raise your voice on a boat unless it's in order to be heard over the ambient noise, caused by the wind or the engine or whatever is noisy.

If he was "yelling" at you, rather than increasing volume, it was probably an indication that he lacked confidence in his own abilities.

I spend a LOT of time on the water with crews of widely varying ability and experience levels and never ever yell at any body. I don't see anything wrong with you jumping ship, as long as you informed him where you were going so he wasn't worried about you- which it sounds like you did.

What I don't think you should have done is constantly question his decisions. You questioned his collision avoidance techniques. One thing I can't get my head around is the bilge thing. I could be wrong, but I think when coastal cruising most people leave their bilge pumps set to automatic- I know many do any way.

If motoring a lot, as you would be on the icw, a properly adjusted shaft seal will drip continuously, you just want to keep the water on the outside as much as possible- easiest way I know of to do that is an automatic bilge pump.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 06:24   #167
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
OK, this ended up kind of long, so I will put my question at the top: Are you saying that you left behind a business to get on this guy's ship and now you are in danger of losing your boat and the business?
This trip and the issues with our boat and business are completely unrelated.
NoQuarter79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 06:27   #168
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
There is almost no reason to raise your voice on a boat unless it's in order to be heard over the ambient noise, caused by the wind or the engine or whatever is noisy.

If he was "yelling" at you, rather than increasing volume, it was probably an indication that he lacked confidence in his own abilities.

I spend a LOT of time on the water with crews of widely varying ability and experience levels and never ever yell at any body. I don't see anything wrong with you jumping ship, as long as you informed him where you were going so he wasn't worried about you- which it sounds like you did.

What I don't think you should have done is constantly question his decisions. You questioned his collision avoidance techniques. One thing I can't get my head around is the bilge thing. I could be wrong, but I think when coastal cruising most people leave their bilge pumps set to automatic- I know many do any way.

If motoring a lot, as you would be on the icw, a properly adjusted shaft seal will drip continuously, you just want to keep the water on the outside as much as possible- easiest way I know of to do that is an automatic bilge pump.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Something was going on with the bilge that it kept filling up with water, and at one point there was a thin layer of water in the cabin. It was just a matter of a hose getting knocked over and needing propped back up. But, it was oily. People in here have said there shouldn't be oil in the bilge, but there definitely was. Because he stored Gatorade in there, and when it filled up with water they felt oily and tasted oily.

And I'm pretty sure there was an issue with his auto pump too. We would have to turn it on and listen for a certain noise then turn it off.
Old 24-03-2015, 06:42   #169
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Something was going on with the bilge that it kept filling up with water, and at one point there was a thin layer of water in the cabin. It was just a matter of a hose getting knocked over and needing propped back up. But, it was oily. People in here have said there shouldn't be oil in the bilge, but there definitely was. Because he stored Gatorade in there, and when it filled up with water they felt oily and tasted oily.
oil and diesel float on top of seawater/water so even a tiny amount of oil is going to seem like a lot seen from above,good thing is it will rarely get pumped overboard as bilge pumps stop working for the last few inches of fluid left in the bilge,leaving the oil behind.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 06:43   #170
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

It seems you've had a lot of advice on here noq. I'd be interested to hear what you have gleaned from the discussion and if you feel your original question of how to deal with a bad captain has been answered. What would you do differently, if anything in a similar situation in the future from the initial meeting to when you left the boat?
Do you think you learned a lot during the trip? What to do, what not to do, general seamanship etc...
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 06:48   #171
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
It seems you've had a lot of advice on here noq. I'd be interested to hear what you have gleaned from the discussion and if you feel your original question of how to deal with a bad captain has been answered. What would you do differently, if anything in a similar situation in the future from the initial meeting to when you left the boat?
Do you think you learned a lot during the trip? What to do, what not to do, general seamanship etc...
I think we could have spoke up a little bit more, sure. There were reasons we did not at the time, but thinking back now those reasons should not have kept us from asking a question if we didn't fully understand.

I think we should have tried to talk to him about leaving before we did. I'm sure it would have resulted in the same thing, but it was not right of us to try to bail on him like we did. But it wasn't like he turned around and we were gone either. He saw us getting our stuff, then got mad about it.

When it comes to how we handled him though, I think we did the right thing. We didn't argue back with him, we didn't ask him to do things for us, and we followed every order as he directed, which would still result in him yelling at us.

I definitely know we learned a lot from the trip. I don't hate this guy, and he gave us an opportunity to do something we wouldn't have had the chance to do for a while. I guess it was just personal issues that got in the way.
Old 24-03-2015, 06:49   #172
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Great questions..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 06:58   #173

It seems to me that you did not have a bad captain.....you were just bad crew.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 07:07   #174
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How do you deal with a bad captain?

Quote:
I definitely know we learned a lot from the trip. I don't hate this guy, and he gave us an opportunity to do something we wouldn't have had the chance to do for a while. I guess it was just personal issues that got in the way.
Reckon thats your cue to walk away from the thread now.. its often something simple like that.. likely if you ever sailed together again it'd go easier as you'd all be aware of each others limits..
Enjoy the summer guys.. file the bad.. remember the good..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 07:42   #175

Assuming NoQ and her partner knew beforehand that this crewing will be of significant length of time, whatever happened to the good old tradition of captain and potential crew feeling out each other, meeting beforehand to see if they fit together in close confines of a boat, doing a day say to (mutually) ascertain each other's level of competence, etc?

If there was "no time" for all of this checking each other out, I, as a potential crew would be very apprehensive as such rush to sign on a crew would tend to show that either a) the captain was not very competent to start looking for crew in a timely fashion or b) not very sociable and lost an already scheduled crew members or c) couldn't find any timely due to his personality drawbacks/ boat condition/money or all of the above.

There is usually a very good reason that a boat owner needs a crew "yesterday" and it is more likely than not not a good reason.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 07:59   #176
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Also a good reason why many solo sailors are solo sailors
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 08:06   #177

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
I think we could have spoke up a little bit more, sure. There were reasons we did not at the time, but thinking back now those reasons should not have kept us from asking a question if we didn't fully understand.

I think we should have tried to talk to him about leaving before we did. I'm sure it would have resulted in the same thing, but it was not right of us to try to bail on him like we did. But it wasn't like he turned around and we were gone either. He saw us getting our stuff, then got mad about it.

When it comes to how we handled him though, I think we did the right thing. We didn't argue back with him, we didn't ask him to do things for us, and we followed every order as he directed, which would still result in him yelling at us.

NoQ

You've been fired upon by lots here and stayed the course.

Hat's off - many would have walked away after some of these comments. You also kept your cool - which is nice to see

Stick around - there actually is a lot to learn around here and quite a few members who truly know what they are talking about.

carsten

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 08:15   #178

"How to deal with a bad captain?" Don't get on the boat with one. Duhhh.

So may be the question is better phrased as - "How to avoid a bad captain to begin with?"
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 08:43   #179

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
"How to deal with a bad captain?" Don't get on the boat with one. Duhhh.

So may be the question is better phrased as - "How to avoid a bad captain to begin with?"
But since the first step of getting on a boat with a "bad captain" had already occurred, it was a little late for your "better" phrasing.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 08:48   #180
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
One thing I can't get my head around is the bilge thing. I could be wrong, but I think when coastal cruising most people leave their bilge pumps set to automatic- I know many do any way.

If motoring a lot, as you would be on the icw, a properly adjusted shaft seal will drip continuously, you just want to keep the water on the outside as much as possible- easiest way I know of to do that is an automatic bilge pump
Family- that old cote that I sailed with did the same thing. Once a day he would turn on the bilge pump and count the seconds before it emptied...that way he knew if he had a new leak in his "well used" boat. I think he thought he was saving battery power too. If we had a bad day- well sometimes it was out of the bilge.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain