Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2009, 22:03   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Have you decided on a specific date for this? Is Green Cove Springs a place suitable for anchoring or do you drive there? (Never sailed Layla @ St John's river)

Due to my work obligations, I am in JAX area only ten days each month - if the schedules match, my first mate and I would be interested in joining the Spring Fling.

Fair winds!

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 09:39   #17

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
SailnDive,
Sailorgal or I will post the date as soon as it is determined. Are your dates in Jax fixed each month or variable? It would take longer to sail to Green Cove Springs than drive. I was told it is about a days sail from Mayport.
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 10:22   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallywag View Post
SailnDive,
Sailorgal or I will post the date as soon as it is determined. Are your dates in Jax fixed each month or variable? It would take longer to sail to Green Cove Springs than drive. I was told it is about a days sail from Mayport.
John
Scallywag,

I will be on Layla between April 24th and May 3rd. I'd be starting from Fernandina. Do you know of any opening bridges w/ restricted hours between St John's (Mayport) and Green Cove Springs? I am not sure the Waterway Guide covers St John's... I imagine Buckman bridge clearance is ok for 61' mast?

Is Green Cove Springs the same place as the infamous Green Cove bridge that the builder "accidently" built to be a few feet short in clearance? If so, is the Spring Fling North of this bridge? I remember hearing this from some friends who live on George Island not too far from there. (Isn't Google Earth wonderful? )

I don't mind driving if it turns out that sailing will take too long or be too much of a hassle...

Fair winds!

Sailndive
Old 22-02-2009, 10:23   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Thanks to all for keeping this alive. I will be posting here in off topics titled CF
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 15:27   #20

Boat: 48' Hi Star
Hi I2F
Looks like your post in "Off Topic" was already deleted. So much for freedom of speech unless you're a mod on this forum.
Old 02-03-2009, 13:09   #21

Boat: 48' Hi Star
Mark your calendars -- April 26 Sunday

Looks like we've decided on Sunday, April 26 for our NE FLorida spring fling. If this date doesn't work, let us know right away.

Haven't decided on the time yet. If you have a preference, please post it on this thread.

Hope to see lots of folks there. Should be a fun time!
Old 05-03-2009, 16:12   #22

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
We had a great time meeting members of the forum last fall. I was wondering if others would like to meet for a SPRING FLING. Basically the same concept. Potluck, and an oppurtunity to meet new & old friends to chat up boat stuff.

I am thinking mid April to late May as a time frame. This will give people an oppurtunity to squeeze in the time to join. We can meet anywhere, and that includes the same location as last fall. Time & location are up for the debate.

Here's several pics of last year's fun......i2f

Thanks Mr. Scallywag for supplying the pics
Just wanted to bump this and say again that April 26th is the date for this years Spring Fling...
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 17:16   #23

The Spring Fling is still alive. The condemned dock is #11. April 26th is the date.
john
Old 09-03-2009, 17:24   #24

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
a lot of full time cruisers will still be in the bahamas - at least it appears they be - if you want to include them i would suggest moving to mid may
just my thoughts
chuck patty and svsoulmates
ki4sry
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 17:54   #25

Boat: CSY 44' Grace
From Fernandina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailndive345 View Post
Scallywag,

I will be on Layla between April 24th and May 3rd. I'd be starting from Fernandina. Do you know of any opening bridges w/ restricted hours between St John's (Mayport) and Green Cove Springs? I am not sure the Waterway Guide covers St John's... I imagine Buckman bridge clearance is ok for 61' mast?

Is Green Cove Springs the same place as the infamous Green Cove bridge that the builder "accidently" built to be a few feet short in clearance? If so, is the Spring Fling North of this bridge? I remember hearing this from some friends who live on George Island not too far from there. (Isn't Google Earth wonderful? )

I don't mind driving if it turns out that sailing will take too long or be too much of a hassle...

Fair winds!

Sailndive
Hey - the Buckman bridge is 64' on an average day. If the wind has been blowing from the East the tide sometimes does not get to go out of the river and can stack up pretty bad in the river. This will make the bridge 62'.

The mainstreet bridge (downtown) is an opening bridge. On week days they have a morning and evening period where they will not open. I am not sure of the hours. If I had to guess it is 4-6 and 7-9 but don't quote me.

There is also a railroad bridge just South (West) of the Mainstreet bridge. It closes when the train is there so you really can't predict this bridge.

The current in the river can be 3+knots so pick your time to come up the river. Usually you want to go @ 2 hours after the incomming tide at the mouth of the river; however, this can be greatly influenced by how high the tide was the last time, wind, etc.

The trip from Fernandia is usually a full day. The anchoring is in soft mud that holds pretty well. Not much protection from anything from the North East, North, or East.

If you are one of the first there you could always pick up a slip at the greencove municipal dock and dingy over to Renyolds. Be careful when going to the dock. I draw 5' and sometimes bump. The city of Greencove is quite quaint. I would lock the boat on the dock (better safe than sorry).

My boat is over at Mandarin Holiday Marina. We are across and up the river a little. I can get the first person a mooring bouy if you would like. Send me a private message so I will know I have a message.
Old 09-03-2009, 18:21   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
SailnDive..., The bridge at Green Cove (south of the marinas) is the Shands Bridge and it is at it's designed 45'. You can get 47.5' under it at low tide. The bridge up the
river in Palatka is at 65' fixed clearance and it was built later with the propect of the Cross Florida Barge Canal. The bridge that was built a 56' clearance instead of the 65' intended is the Julia Tuttle bridge down in Miami. Not that mistakes haven't happened up here. They had lost some designed clearance in the new fixed bridge that is the first one encountered on the ICW south of the St. Johns River. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 19:19   #27

Smile St John's info...

CaptForce, Peterroach,

Many thanks for the nav help! It turns out we will need to drive down to join the party instead of sailing as my girl friend has to go to work rather early on Monday morning

The info will come in handy when we do venture out that way later this year - thanks again!

Looking forward to meeting you guys at the party!

Sailndive
Old 10-03-2009, 16:43   #28

Boat: CSY 33 Hull #10 - Sonrae
Send a message via Yahoo to alambertfl
Made the last gathering with Baked Beans and mixed Fruit. Scheduled to leave in mid April for the Chesapeake Bay. However, if delayed for any reason, we will be there. This time my wife will be able to make it as we have both finally retired and moved aboard our boat. Can we come by boat if we are close,meaning are there slips available?

Sonny and Nancy Lambert
alambertfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 17:21   #29

CaptForce and Peterroach thanks for answering Sailndive345 question. I have not had the time to look the bridge heights. Alambertfl congrats on retiring. I hope everything works out to your satisfaction. The baked beans were very good. I will ask I2F about a slip. Since one of the piers were condemned, I guess space is limited. But I will ask.
John
Old 20-03-2009, 10:42   #30
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Just bumping this back to the top as a reminder we are still on. Looking forward to getting together with you again this year. Last year was great. Let's get in some final dishes, and thoughts......as always BEST WISHES ......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida