Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2008, 20:47   #1

Spring 2008 Hallout

Hey folks. I'm going to a DIY boatyard in March for a couple of weeks, and wanted to talk outloud about what I plan on doing. Any general comments about what I'm going to do would be appreciated. As for the yard it's Driscoll Mission Bay, if there are any San Diego sailors here. Also, if you are a San Diego sailor, feel free to stop by and lend a hand!! :-)

Also, as we're liveaboards, my fiancee will probably be staying elsewhere in town, and I think I'm going to try to manage to still sleep on the boat at nights, and use the adjacent marina facilities if they'll allow me. I can still use the head as long as pour enough water in to flush it. Any advice on how to manage living in the yard for a couple of weeks would be handy.
  1. Unstepping the (deck stepped) wooden mast, laying it down. Still not sure of what I want to finish it with (varnish, paint, or... cetol....).
  2. Replacing a spreader that has some rot in it. Not too worried about this part.
  3. Fixing some mast head issues (instruments that are half working, etc).
  4. Paying the yard to pressure wash the bottom, and I'll be repainting the bottom.
  5. Replacing the exhaust elbow and heat exchanger (or at least servicing the heat exchanger).
  6. Installing some mast steps.
  7. Taking the old name stickers and putting the new stuff on.
  8. Replacing all the bulbs, and servicing the housing for my spreader and mast lights.
  9. I have a wire halyard, and it tends to beat up the mast finish because of a fairlead a little north of the spreaders. I plan on getting rid of that fairlead. Under tension, I shouldn't get any slap on the mast, and when not rigged, I can secure the loose end of the halyard away from the mast and apply tension.
  10. Add some new halyards (and blocks).
  11. Servicing the thru-hulls.
  12. Repack the shaft gland.
  13. Inspect the cutless bearing.
I'm reading through everything I can find on some good checklists for this hallout. I'm ear marking 15 total days for this, with 1-3 people working every day. Whatever parts I know we'll need, we'll buy in advance, and then be ready for whatever is unexpected.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote