Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2010, 22:42   #1

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Lee Shore

No anchor no motor no sails?
RAW: Disabled sailboat towed in choppy Puget Sound waters | KING 5 TV | Seattle News, Local News, Breaking News, Weather | Featured Videos

What happened?
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 00:15   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Happens all the time, and has been happening since man first went to sea. He's just lucky he got a tow, just in the nick of time it seems. Your sails may not be able to get you off a lee shore, especially if the wind is high and/or a sea is running. That boat's an old fashioned ketch, which will not have good windward ability even in the best of conditions. Motors fail when you need them the most -- a typical failure mode is rough water stirs up muck in your fuel tank and your engine quits. Some engines won't get you off a lee shore after a certain point, evven if they don't fail -- if your boat has a lot of windage it may require more power than you've got. Rigs fail and sails shred in rough conditions and when sailors are under stress and make mistakes. Happens all the time; there but for the grace of God go we all. Be careful around lee shores in rough weather.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 04:12   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Looked at the video and conditions did not appear to be that bad and the boat not that old fashioned. Unless the crew was disabled or the engine and rig both disabled they should have been able to easily sail away.

However, without knowing the situation on board it is total speculation.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 07:53   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
No anchor?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 08:08   #5

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Just read another post starting with "Gale Warning" and wondering where these people come from..
When I wake in the morning, I've got a barometer, mounted on the bulkhead over my head to tell me what kind of day its going to be, and if its dropping or rising..
And if its not going to be a "Sweet" day, I dont unhook the lines..
And if am out cruising, I make damn sure we're anchored in a safe anchorage..
With all the avalable information on the net, the tv, or the radio, you can predict the weather days if not weeks in advance.. you know when the highs set in and when the lows are predicted..
Sometimes I wonder when reading some of these posts of people going out in 30 to 40 knots of wind sailing and bragging about it.. If they Know just how stupid they sound and how much risk they are putting their family in..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 08:09   #6

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
This video refutes the claim in a recent issue of Latitude 38 that the US Coast Guard nolonger tows boats out of danger.
It must be a difference in Command areas.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 08:09   #7

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
No brain!
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 08:15   #8

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
One possible scenario : guy was sailing singlehanded, fell and broke his leg or ankle. Couldn't get fwd to drop anchor. Seas stir up muck in fuel. Could happen to even the most prudent sailor among us. Don't be so quick to judge the guy a fool until you know the story.
Old 13-04-2010, 08:17   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
This video refutes the claim in a recent issue of Latitude 38 that the US Coast Guard nolonger tows boats out of danger.
It must be a difference in Command areas.
I think its an individuel call on the Comander on duty as the where and what they will do..
Last time down the north coast, I call the coast guard when approching Fort Bragg in Norhtern California, and asked if they had "shot" the bar over the last couple days, I explained I was deep draft and didnt want to drag bottom comming in..
The commander on duty came on the radio and said to hold tight for a few minutes and they would be right out and give me the info I needed and said they hadnt been out yet that day and it was a good reason for them to streach their legs..
That was a good day.
Old 13-04-2010, 08:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
One possible scenario : guy was sailing singlehanded, fell and broke his leg or ankle. Couldn't get fwd to drop anchor. Seas stir up muck in fuel. Could happen to even the most prudent sailor among us. Don't be so quick to judge the guy a fool until you know the story.
Doug, you dont need a story, Its the northwest in March, why in hell is he even out in his boat.. in March in that area, **** happens fast and if you cant handle it, you get your butt back on the porch..
Old 13-04-2010, 08:50   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
If life is threatened, the Coasties will provide a rescue as long as it does not put them in unnecessary danger. If nobody's life is at immediate risk, then you are on your own to get assistance. The Coasties may tow if life is not threatened but they are not obligated to do so. They won't tow if life is not threatened and there is a commercial towboat or other towing vessel available.

The whole idea is for them to not compete against commercial boats. They will act if life is in immediate danger. Any other situation and it is their option whether or not to act. Protecting private property is very far down on their list of priorities. They prefer to have their vessels, personnel and other assets on standby for higher priorities such as saving human life.

Some boaters think they are a taxpayer supported towing service. They are not. Some boaters think they should be a taxpayer supported towing service. I disagree. They have more important things to do plus they should not compete against private businesses.

I applaud their policy.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 09:03   #12

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Putting yourself at risk is one thing,expecting others to put their lives at risk over poor judgement is another.We all take risks everyday,even leading regular lives on shore.Risk assesment is a very important aspect of sailing,similar to backcountry skiing,good chance noone will be able to bail you out when the sh!t hits the fan!(till it's too late)
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 14:05   #13

Boat: Dehler 39
What is odd is this happened just a few miles from Elliott Bay Marina where Boat US keeps there rescue boat, maybe Coast Guard was right there when the call for help was made.

michael
bluzzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 14:19   #14

Looks like a sailbag at the masthead. Just wondering if they lost the halyard and it took the bag with it?

I'm guessing 15 to 18, 2-4 footers, not breaking heavily....

Glad it worked out.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 15:14   #15

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Looks like a sailbag at the masthead. Just wondering if they lost the halyard and it took the bag with it?

I'm guessing 15 to 18, 2-4 footers, not breaking heavily....

Glad it worked out.
Remember that there is not a lot of fetch here, so the wind doesn't match the sea state the same as open waters. Here's more info on this- there was a gale warning that day that came up quick:

Pacific Northwest Boating News: Strong winds threaten Puget Sound waters | Three Sheets Northwest

Tough lesson learned that you have to do more than just stick your head outside to see if it is gonna be a good day for sailing!
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote