Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2007, 00:16   #16

well my man have I got news for you - the South Shower in the block nearest Auckland city currently does not need a coin! Yes free showers!! It's been like this for months - bloody great - freeee showers!! We are on D pier. We have just sold the old boat all going well so will be moving into the house again, the new boat is yet to be delivered (by me) to Auckland
Old 31-01-2007, 00:26   #17
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
WHAT, you mean none of the liveaboards has complained about the coin machine not working!!!! God I love sailors, free is good. See you in a week or so.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 00:32   #18

rumour has it we will have Sky in the marina lounge real soon, oh and don't miss the Sunday afternoon/eveining BBQ - sure for a few good times.

Good luck with your sailing.
Old 31-01-2007, 00:42   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Sheesh am I going to start complaining to our Marina Landlords. Not only are they chargign like wounded Bulls, but we don't get anything like those luxuries.
Don't you go getting too much of a good thing Pete.

Southernman, the rally is going the other way. Starting from Nelson and going down the coast. That is why I am making the comment. Not the direction I would be going. Even getting out of Nelson, they are going to have it head on. The wind is clockwork across the Tasman Bay. Stars about 1:00PM and blows from the nor-norwest at 20-25kts every day, into the evening and then dies.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 00:49   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey Pete, if I remember, I'll post an update of those on Friday so as you have the latest set before you go.

Old 31-01-2007, 00:51   #21
cruiser

Hi Alan, Complaints seem to do no use with MHB controlled marinas (ie, all within their area) I am paying exactly half for casual berthage just across the ditch because there is competition. Not too flash but free internet in office hours and a few other perks thrown in. Bayswater is charging closer to Waikawa fees but there's a lounge, computers, you're not in Dorkland itself and now it seems the showers are free
Old 31-01-2007, 05:49   #22

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Alan:

Didn't say it didn't happen. Just reporting what I was told. But my reading of that coast is the same as yers ... lot of nowhere to hide.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 09:39   #23

Yes, sailing Nelson South is tricky, although across the bay is fine but generally a bit of a motor sail, heading South should be ok in the right weather - we have only done it the other way from Dunedin up to Nelson round the bottom. By the way we went in over the Grey bar but would only do it in nill wind conditions which is what we had. Even then a little freaky.
Old 31-01-2007, 09:43   #24

The management at Bayswater are fair but firm - one of the big downers is NO maintanance on your yacht at all ie - sanding painting etc, but it really means no noisy or prolonged sanding - the odd bit is fine. The place has full time security and cameras everywhere. The internet lounge is free as is the wireless internet in the marina. Free papers daily to the lounge, the fullers ferry takes you directly into town every hour or so, and you have the best view in town looking towards the sky tower. The only bummer at Bayswater is the surge from Ferry's and other traffic that comes down the harbour - this can be annoying at times.

Pete what are your plans for cruising this year? If it's the islands maybe I can give you some hints and info.
Old 31-01-2007, 10:14   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wow, we are really being stuck it down here aren't we. I have complained along with several others, but I don't think we are being heard. At the mo, there is talk of getting a group together calling it the marina birth holders association. I am not sure if it is all talk or do at the mo.
One scary thing the MHB is about to do with the new jetties going in, is to tender them out. If that is sucsessful, they may look at doing that process on the other births. That will do one thing, push us who struggle to pay the cost now, compleatly out of the marina.

Old 31-01-2007, 15:50   #26

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Hi Alan,
I got a letter from MHB the other day re a berth in Waikawa coming up for tender. It is not for sale, just for rent but they have such a waiting list they have tendered it obviously to get the highest rent possible.
You really should buy your berth.
Prices will always go one way and at least keep up with inflation.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 19:00   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Buy my birth? yeah well, first you have to have the money to buy.
But second, that doesn't solve anything here as you still have to pay a "service fee", an "administration fee" and something else I can't remember. So for my birth I am paying $5K a year and if you owned it, you are still paying $3-4K per yr. So you are tying up an aweful huge investment for very little saving.
You can only "own" the for a limited time here, and many of them are coming to an end. I am not sure what will happen, but the suggestion is that those that come to the end of the lease period maybe put up for tender. So what the heck are you buying exactly?? A hole in the water for a short period of time, that will become less attractive to sell as the years count down towards the end date.
I guess many other marinas have a different system, although I know many of the Auckland ones are coming toward the thinner end of the lease period. Somewhere along the line, the lease period is not going to justify the amount of money you pay for it and the price has to drop.
One point of good news is, a new marina is being built out in the sound further. It is for the a new subdivision and it will be a birth for each section. I am hoping this maybe attractive to some to have a holiday home and the boat in the birth, which may take some out of the marina. Then again, it may just bring a heap of new people to the sound.

Old 31-01-2007, 20:29   #28
cruiser

Yep, MHB are bloody arrogant, charge the most of any marina as far as I'm aware and provide the least services. There's even talk of building a marina in Port Underwood!!!
Tim, plans are to head to the Islands but probably later in the winter, get a month or so in cruising then hole her up for the cyclone season. Problem is I might be having so much fun in the new job I'll want to hang around until '08. Pretty flexible but am spending money and working with the intention of heading up August.
Old 31-01-2007, 23:29   #29

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Alan, I paid $50k four years ago in Mana for my 12m. Now they are selling around me for $75k. Fees were $100 first year and were $600 last year.
I could get 7.5%pa in the bank on my 50k or $3750gross pa $2287.50 after tax. So for four years it has cost me $2287.50 plus marina fees of average $350 per year. It would have cost me more to rent (over $3,600pa at the moment, $2,400 four years ago).
I have had cheap parking and my 50k investment is now 75k.
The marina here owns the marina so the berth holders own it.

Off across the Strait lunchtime tomorrow for a few days.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 23:42   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That's a great investment and cheap fee. But it is absolutly no point in owning one here. It will be because the Port marlborough are in it for one thing, making money. No reason to sell a birth and not be able to have an income from it.
So how does Auckland work. Are they private or Council owned?