Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2016, 14:56   #1396

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Dumb question. Why does C02 ppm vary so much between summer and winter?

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 11-06-2016, 14:59   #1397
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Careful MMGW followers...that is a trick question, don't step in a steaming pile of bovine excrement, which of course is part of the anser...stop...let them trip over the snare....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 11-06-2016, 15:04   #1398
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
After reading this & promptly dropping the full coffee pot on the floor, I wanted to thank SailOar for providing some illumination into the minds of a few of our more vocal posters who repeatedly have trouble keeping their feet on the ground. These 12 Commandments . . . errrr . . . I mean 12 "Steps" were the most revealing, especially #12. Hard to imagine any more solid ratification for Third Day's repeated insistence that, for all too many, this is more about "finding" a new religion for themselves and co-opting it into the politics than it is about selfless concern for the planet. And of course it wouldn't be fun w/o a few of my own edits.

The twelve step climate change program:

1. We admitted we were powerless over fossil fuels—that our lives had become unmanageable [and so we had to put our "faith" in a higher power].

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity. [non-believers are not only misguided, uninformed, uneducated, i.e. worship the wrong "God," but they are also insane]

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of Gaia [Earth personified as a deity in Greek mythology]as we understood her.

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves. [prayer]

5. Admitted to Gaia, to ourselves, and to other human beings the exact nature of our wrongs. [confession]

6. Were entirely ready to become a conscious part of Gaia, and make sacrifices for the greater whole. [handing over individual identity to the state, i.e. the new church]

7. Humbly asked her to remove our destructive behaviours. [we're all sinners]

8. Made a list of all species we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all. [pagan worship; redemption]

9. Made direct changes in our lives, such as investing in energy conservation, using renewable energy, buying local organic food, and driving, flying and consuming less. [repentance/redemption/confirmity of worship for the sake of group acceptance]

10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it. [can never stop atoning for our everlasting sins]

11. Sought through time spent quietly in nature to improve our conscious contact with Gaia as we understood her, seeking for understanding of our place in nature. [more prayer]

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message [L-E]to fossil fuel addicts [who remain oppressed for not yet having seen the light], and to practice these principles in all our affairs [not L-E but his proslytizing makes up for it], including voting. [and there it is folks . . . you must vote your religious convictions to reach salvation

These threads have been very insightful.
It's not everyday the value of my insight glimmers to brightly....
"Know thy Self" the Oracle once told Neo.
But in the Art of War, knowing thy enemy is just as important.
And make no mistake, this is a war. A war of ideology and to the winner goes the Spoils of Control and Wealth.
Will Individuals have the power and freedom OR will that be ceded to the State and benevolent central planers?
Old 11-06-2016, 15:13   #1399

Quote:

Ta da

https://scripps.ucsd.edu/programs/ke...ern-latitudes/

Sent from my SM-T705W using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 11-06-2016, 16:38   #1400

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Careful MMGW followers...that is a trick question, don't step in a steaming pile of bovine excrement, which of course is part of the anser...stop...let them trip over the snare....
You know, you might have a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Ta da

https://scripps.ucsd.edu/programs/ke...ern-latitudes/

Thanks. From your supplied link....

Quote:
These latitudinal differences in fluctuation are the result of photosynthetic activity by plants. As plants begin to photosynthesize in the spring and summer, they consume CO2 from the atmosphere and eventually use it as a carbon source for growth and reproduction. This causes the decrease in CO2 levels that begins every year in May. Once winter arrives, plants save energy by decreasing photosynthesis. Without photosynthesis, the dominant process is the exhalation of CO2 by the total ecosystem, including bacteria, plants, and animals.
Quote:
The implications of this finding are quite significant. It means that not only are human activities causing the overall increase in CO2 levels over time, but through the effect on global temperatures, people are also controlling CO2 fluctuaton from season to season.
Which makes one wonder exactly how much deforestation and land clearing have influenced CO2 levels in the atmosphere. On first glance, there looks to be some significant association.

vs

Old 11-06-2016, 16:42   #1401
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quiet kids.
If the Establishment finds out that Plants actually thrive on the evil CO2 being expelled as a waste product of respiration and combustion...egads...do you know how many research grants are at stake here?

The solution to MMGW is planting Trees and not taxing and regulating the population's use of fuel? Crap...the entire MMGW Infrastructure could collapse over this heretical talk! Where is my safe space....I'm feeling sick....

If anything, this shows the follow of the draconian steps the MMGW hucksters say we need...lets reconfigure the entire world economy...or just plant trees...ha ha ha ....it puts their craziness into perspective don't it.
Old 11-06-2016, 18:26   #1402

Quote:

Which makes one wonder exactly how much deforestation and land clearing have influenced CO2 levels in the atmosphere. On first glance, there looks to be some significant association.
Not only have we added 1.5 trillion tonnes of CO2, we are destroying the sinks.

Old 11-06-2016, 18:56   #1403

Quote:

That doesn't address the question.

Old 11-06-2016, 19:17   #1404

Quote:
That doesn't address the question.

Forests are carbon sinks, deforestation rules in more CO2 and fewer sinks.

Old 11-06-2016, 19:18   #1405
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:

Jack if you recally I posted a report that showed that forests that had been razed and allowed to regrow just like most are ( some via planting young trees ). Actually absorbed almost twice the co2 as an undesterbed old growth forest. So we are actually increasing the carbon sink potential in the long term.
Old 11-06-2016, 19:34   #1406

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Jack if you recally I posted a report that showed that forests that had been razed and allowed to regrow just like most are ( some via planting young trees ). Actually absorbed almost twice the co2 as an undesterbed old growth forest. So we are actually increasing the carbon sink potential in the long term.
Reefmagnet's graph shows deforestation. I was responding to him.

I missed your report. Meanwhile CO2 levels continue to climb.

Old 11-06-2016, 19:57   #1407
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Reefmagnet's graph shows deforestation. I was responding to him.

I missed your report. Meanwhile CO2 levels continue to climb.

I can't find it right now but I posted on the other closed thread
Google tropical forest regrowth and co2 sequestration. There are several papers and PDF links on the subject.
Old 11-06-2016, 20:19   #1408

Quote:
I can't find it right now but I posted on the other closed thread
Google tropical forest regrowth and co2 sequestration. There are several papers and PDF links on the subject.
Google it yourself. It is your assertion. And the search will be in your cache.

Old 11-06-2016, 20:49   #1409

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
I guess you are referring to:

Poorter, L., Bongers, F., Aide, T. M., Almeyda Zambrano, A. M., Balvanera, P., Becknell, J. M., . . . Rozendaal, D. M. A. (2016). Biomass resilience of Neotropical secondary forests. Nature, 530(7589), 211-214. doi: 10.1038/nature16512 http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nature16512

Don't forget land clearing by fire is quite common. Even though the new grown forest is able to capture more CO2 than an old forest, the clearing process put a high amount of CO2 in the atmosphere in the first place.

The problem is to convince farmers to give up the farmland they reclaimed from the rain forests and let natural regrow happen.

I guess an international ETS would do the trick. Let the market be the driving force of regrowth. Wait a minute ...
Old 11-06-2016, 21:02   #1410
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
I guess you are referring to:

Poorter, L., Bongers, F., Aide, T. M., Almeyda Zambrano, A. M., Balvanera, P., Becknell, J. M., . . . Rozendaal, D. M. A. (2016). Biomass resilience of Neotropical secondary forests. Nature, 530(7589), 211-214. doi: 10.1038/nature16512 http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nature16512

Don't forget land clearing by fire is quite common. Even though the new grown forest is able to capture more CO2 than an old forest, the clearing process put a high amount of CO2 in the atmosphere in the first place.

The problem is to convince farmers to give up the farmland they reclaimed from the rain forests and let natural regrow happen.

I guess an international ETS would do the trick. Let the market be the driving force of regrowth. Wait a minute ...
It looks like a report on the paper I linked to yes and thank you jack just doesn't remember he even commented on my original post of the paper.

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising