Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2013, 15:43   #31

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Chicago Sailor Killed in Nassau

Quote:
They lock Everything. Like the doors of every business has electrically locked doors. They have to buzz you in or out. Even my marine mechanic had this. Guards everywhere. Even the strip mall with the grocery store had 4 armed guards in the parking lot.
Reminds me of LA, Miami, or parts of NYC. I had just arrive at my hotel in Ft. Lauderdale for the boat show when I met a guy in the elevator from Texas. He had heard there was a lot of crime in the area and was worried. I told him I knew the area well and not to worry. I was in my room, heard gunfire, went out on the balcony to see what was happening, and looked down on the street where there was a shoot out between a security guard and some armed man--looked over and on the next balcony was the guy from Texas watching the scene.
Old 16-05-2013, 15:49   #32
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I'm just wondering why anyone would want to willing go to a place where they had to exercise this much caution. It just seems there are many places you can go where you can dress and walk without so much caution.
We too are now in Nassau. A walk to Potter's Cay (under the bridge) yesterday, scored us a great conch salad and conch fritters. No doubt, a bit seedy here. Just use the same precautions as with any big city. No problem, mon......
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 15:54   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danibug View Post
Last I checked people die while sailing, but sailing isn't outlawed...

How about what those computer keyboards type when you aren’t watching them!
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 16:03   #34

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
So some stuff I noticed weird here:
They lock Everything. Like the doors of every business has electrically locked doors. They have to buzz you in or out. Even my marine mechanic had this. Guards everywhere. Even the strip mall with the grocery store had 4 armed guards in the parking lot.

Phiilps Sail loft was awesome! Great people, great service at a great price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
We too are now in Nassau. A walk to Potter's Cay (under the bridge) yesterday, scored us a great conch salad and conch fritters. No doubt, a bit seedy here. Just use the same precautions as with any big city. No problem, mon......
See quote above yours...Not too many large cities I go to have the need for such security...I'm just sayin...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 16:18   #35
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
See quote above yours...Not too many large cities I go to have the need for such security...I'm just sayin...
I'm from Texas. Be careful where you walk in San Antonio, Houston, Dallas. I don't recommend Nassau. Just a stop in the Bahamas to re-fuel and re-provision on our way to the Exumas. I'd be careful where I went in San Francisco or Oakland (Northern Ca.).
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 16:23   #36

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
I'm from Texas. Be careful where you walk in San Antonio, Houston, Dallas. I don't recommend Nassau. Just a stop in the Bahamas to re-fuel and re-provision on our way to the Exumas. I'd be careful where I went in San Francisco or Oakland (Northern Ca.).
Oakland...so true...SF...not so much. I'm from Canada originally, so you can imagine the shock I got settling in to gunland. In the name of freedom and rights of course
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 16:33   #37

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDavid View Post
Wow, I never thought the NRA would have members who were sailors. Or even power boaters for that matter.

Guns ane bullets they both should be outlawed
Please feel free to express your opinion complements of the First Amendment in "Bill of Rights" of the US Constitution.

I will feel free to assemble with the NRA complements of the same.

Additionally, I will bear arms complements of the 2nd Amendment.

It's great to be a citizen of the USA!!
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 16:45   #38

Quote:
I'm from Canada originally, so you can imagine the shock I got settling in to gunland. In the name of freedom and rights of course
You have options regarding where you live.

Snarking about it is certainly one of them.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 19:23   #39
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Reminds me of LA, Miami, or parts of NYC. I had just arrive at my hotel in Ft. Lauderdale for the boat show when I met a guy in the elevator from Texas. He had heard there was a lot of crime in the area and was worried. I told him I knew the area well and not to worry. I was in my room, heard gunfire, went out on the balcony to see what was happening, and looked down on the street where there was a shoot out between a security guard and some armed man--looked over and on the next balcony was the guy from Texas watching the scene.

Next time you hear gunfire outside your room you should consider NOT going out on the balcony.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 19:28   #40
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Oakland...so true...SF...not so much. I'm from Canada originally, so you can imagine the shock I got settling in to gunland. In the name of freedom and rights of course

Oaktown is so much cleaner and safer than when I lived there in the eighties and 90's. Back then you were taking your life in your hands walking down San Pablo. Now it's all restaurants and boutiques. Not true of parts of SF. The Mission is plenty rough and the Tenderloin is just as ugly as its always been. Don't go there unless you know what you're doing. Plenty of unsafe places on both sides of the bay though.

YouTube

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 21:20   #41

Boat: Seafarer 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Nassau and the rest of the Bahamas are two very different places when it comes to personal safety.

I've worked with the Bahamian Police on a task force in the Bahamas, and for a place that doesn't allow guns, the criminals sure have a lot of them.
This couldn't be better said. The USA gets a lot of attention for allowing guns, but I saw more guns in a year of cruising than I ever did at home. It baffles me that people think outlawing guns reduces the number of guns bad guys have. Travel to Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, or pretty much any country in the Americas and you will find guns. The bad guys have guns you cannot legally own in the USA, so they didn't come from there. The Chicago example mentioned is also relevant. Chicago has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the United States and yet their gangsters still have no issues shooting at one another.

We have heard gunfire from the boat multiple times in the past year abroad. I have never heard gunshots from the boat in the USA. In Jamaica we heard shoot outs three days in a row and on the third day I picked up a Jamaica Gleener and read that three people had died. This scapegoating of guns for social problems has got to stop. It's a cheap way to avoid the hard real issues.

We saw the boat mentioned in the article moored up near the Texaco in Nassau a few weeks ago. The crew looked happy. It is sad that a person has lost his life trying to do the right thing. Godspeed. I hope that his loss does not prevent anyone else from standing up for what is right.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 21:25   #42

Boat: Seafarer 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDavid View Post
Wow, I never thought the NRA would have members who were sailors. Or even power boaters for that matter.

Guns ane bullets they both should be outlawed
Stay classy. Way to make a sad story about a hero's loss of life into a political statement.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 22:53   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

They were probably not that far away but when we toured SF, LA and SD I don't recall seeing any guns at all. I'm sure the cops had them but I don't recall seeing that many of them either.

People in Hollywood were a bit twitchy.

Main dangers were hurting myself from tripping over some poor homeless person and dying of lung cancer from the smoking in our LA lodgings.

People were pretty obsessive about locks though.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 00:48   #44

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Just ask the decent people of South Africa who are currently experiencing one of the greatest human holocausts against humanity perpetrated against the Dutch, English and German settlers who created a remarkable civilization from an African savannah.
As someone who lived in South Africa for many years and who still has many friends there, including white farmers, I say you need to get some perspective. 6 million people systematically exterminated is a holocaust. What is happening in South Africa cannot, on any level, be compared.

This does NOT diminish the fact that there is something brutal and ugly happening there to innocent people, that as you say is not getting enough attention. But people need to stop using the word "holocaust" outside of its proper context.

Sorry for the offtopic people, but just felt I had to respond to this.

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 05:33   #45

Boat: Oyster 66

I just looked up the Bahamas murder rate. 112 out of 360,000 pop last year. In the UK it was 600 out of 60m pop. The rate is nearly 40 times higher in the Bahamas. That society has a really fundamental problem. I hope they fix it.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nassau