Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 09:03   #91

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat
Re: Bullying on the Waterway ( Sunset Lake , Miami )

Wow what a story! Circle the wagons Baby! There's a storm a brewin'. OK I'm all for putting a bully in his place and this guy certainly seems like one but he's not going down without a fight. I doubt he's where he's at because he's a nice guy. Don't underestimate him, his intelligence, or his fortitude on this matter. This has become his own personal War. Most important in his arsenal is, indeed, his political connections. The Good Ol' Boys network alive and well in all parts of the US. To topple the heirarchy of that system takes time and considerable money. Is it really worth it given there so many other better places to drop anchor. I'm just askin?

As far as the "peaceful demonstration" is concerned I wish I could be there but trust me he wont be anywhere near his place either. He's too smart. He'll let things blow over then get back to business as usual. Same with the politicos and MBPD. Their response letters are exactly what I would expect from them. Pure BS.

Lastly, no one has mentioned that this guy, being in real estate development may be in severe financial difficulty and therefore may be stresssed to a point that his decision making capabilities have been compromised. He may be a ticking time bomb waiting to go off on someone. So be careful.

Best of Luck. I'll be pulling for you.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:12   #92

Re: Bullying on the Waterway ( Sunset Lake, Miami )

We need to include emails to the radio & TV stations about this to see if one of them would run with it.
Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailor View Post
The Miami press is starting to respond to this effort. See Miami Boating News :: Anchor Fest Miami Beach - The Letter to the Mayor that Started it All
Folks, keep those cards and letters coming in - we can shut this goon down. Also, feel free to email the mayor of Miami Beach about this issue. Her email is mayorbower@miamibeachfl.gov
Old 05-06-2011, 10:44   #93

Boat: Santana 25
Impi

I wish I was a million miles away too !!!

Is it worth the trip ???

How long does it take to sail a million miles ?!?

Will you post pictures before I commit ?

;-)
Old 05-06-2011, 12:30   #94

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoblocktom
Impi

I wish I was a million miles away too !!!

Is it worth the trip ???

How long does it take to sail a million miles ?!?

Will you post pictures before I commit ?

;-)
Ha ha

Where I'm from it feels a million miles away. Today we sailed out into the bay and saw a great White shark as well as a school of dolphins.
Figure out where I'm at ......... Hint ........... About a million miles away
..... And a few pics to check out ........ But I am dying to leave for your shores.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2013370823.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	28110   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3833785852.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	28111  

Old 05-06-2011, 12:41   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
Ha ha

Where I'm from it feels a million miles away. Today we sailed out into the bay and saw a great White shark as well as a school of dolphins.
Figure out where I'm at ......... Hint ........... About a million miles away
..... And a few pics to check out ........ But I am dying to leave for your shores.
I want to be wherever you are in those photos!!!
Old 05-06-2011, 12:50   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cape-Town.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	28113

Old 05-06-2011, 13:32   #97

Boat: Santana 25
Right on
In fact, I'm dying to leave for my shores also. I'm landlocked and cannot even see my mountains because of all the smoke from a huge wildfire in Arizona. And they are only a few miles away!
From your words and photos I have no clue where you are. It does look nice indeed.
But from a previous post it seams Cape Town would be a good place to start looking?
I did look on google earth and the milage you quote looks about right!
Enjoy the day my friend !!!
Old 05-06-2011, 13:50   #98

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoblocktom
Right on
In fact, I'm dying to leave for my shores also. I'm landlocked and cannot even see my mountains because of all the smoke from a huge wildfire in Arizona. And they are only a few miles away!
From your words and photos I have no clue where you are. It does look nice indeed.
But from a previous post it seams Cape Town would be a good place to start looking?
I did look on google earth and the milage you quote looks about right!
Enjoy the day my friend !!!
Hummingway got it spot on - in fact photos were taken rounding the point and on the falsebay side.
Man - good luck with that fire in Arizona .... I lived in California about 3 years and it was at a time they were having huge fires ..... Scary
Old 05-06-2011, 18:57   #99

Boat: Columbia 41

I read it on the internet so I know it's true. Perhaps the person who reopenned this thread can provide his contact information for the "bully's" lawyers. The truth can then be had under oath in a deposition.
Old 05-06-2011, 20:32   #100
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor

Quote:
Perhaps the person who reopenned this thread can provide his contact information for the "bully's" lawyers. The truth can then be had under oath in a deposition.
I fail to see what this post is about. And there's no legal issue at hand here, so the suggestion is senseless.
The 'bully', as you sarcastically note, is a known entity. Perhaps if you read back through this thread, you'd see the video of his behaviour with another cruising couple last month, discover that many posters here have seen the 'beast' in action.
This issue isn't some internet 'paper tiger'.
Old 05-06-2011, 21:13   #101

While the police may stop responding, I doubt that anything is going to change Mr Karltons behavior. This sounds like a classic case of obsessive compulsive behavior. Mr Karlton is accustomed to winning, and likely will continue to harass boaters in front of his house, one way or another, finding ways around the law,and making a nuisance of himself.
Old 05-06-2011, 22:17   #102

Boat: Sceptre 41

There is a show that I like to watch on MTV called Bully Beatdown. People send in there videos about some bully and then the host of the show convinces them to fihgt an MMA fighter for $10k. Most of the times the Bully gets there ass kicked. Big John's Little Recap | Nick Gaston | Video | MTV It'd be nice if they had a different version for this type of Bully.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 06-06-2011, 06:21   #103
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Bullying on the Waterway ( Sunset Lake, Miami )

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
I can honestly say that there are no laws that says a guy can't anchor too close to you.
There is in my part of the world. Pursuant to the Transport Operations (Marine Safety) Act, the person in charge of a vessel has a general safety obligation - and unsafe anchoring could be an offence under that provision.

General obligation on persons involved with operation of ship to operate it safely
(1) A person involved with a ship’s operation (including the owner, master, pilot and crew members) must not cause the ship to be operated unsafely.
Maximum penalty—500 penalty units or imprisonment for 1 year.
(2) Without limiting subsection (1), a person causes a ship to be operated unsafely if the person causes the ship to be operated in a way that—
(a) causes a marine incident; or
(b) contravenes—
(i) conditions of the ship’s registration about safety; or
(ii) a provision of a regulation that is declared by a regulation to be a provision to which this section applies.
(3) However, if the contravention of subsection (1) causes the death of, or grievous bodily harm to, a person, the owner, master, pilot, crew member or other person commits an indictable offence and is liable to a maximum penalty of 5000 penalty units or imprisonment for 2 years.
(4) A person does not contravene this section because of subsection (2)(a) if the only basis for holding that a marine incident has been caused is lawful damage to, or danger of lawful damage to, property of which the person is the sole owner.
(5) In this section—
lawful damage means damage that is not unlawful under the Criminal Code, section 469.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:19   #104

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

You people going to the Anchorfest may want to make sure your video cameras are set and ready. It seems that some Miami Beach police are rather trigger happy twits given what happened this past weekend. At least a dozen cops emptied their magazines into a car, killing the driver, and wounding 3 witnesses, and 4 of their own. Then they grabbed everyone watching who had a video camera, and tried to seize the videos. In another incident, a fire chief had his car shot because he passed another vehicle in a secure zone. The police claim he was drunk and driving at them.

There are several vids out there, google Miami Beach shootings.

Just be real careful out there eh?

Sabre
Old 06-06-2011, 08:36   #105

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by csh View Post
This guy can't stand to see happy cruisers in front of his house! I wonder what set him off? Sounds like a wretched dude, but worthy of our pity. Keep wearing him down -- on the high road. csh
I watched a childrens raft race over the Easter weekend. Great fun, all the kids shouting and screaming, parents verballing encouraging them on.

Pete
Closed Thread

Tags
anchoring, cruising, miami, politics, regulations