Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2010, 13:10   #1

Boat: Chapparal 290 Signature
pirate Hello All . . . Looking for Some Advice . . .

Hello and I'm Tom, I have been an avid boater for 30 years and have been slowly working my way to a larger boat which I just recently purchased.

Also, I have just recently moved to FLA from NC. I live within 3 miles if the inter coastal and feel a lot more comfortable here then in the mountains of NC. I grew up and owned boats in NJ. Nothing very big, 18-24 foot power boats mostly. Never really done a lot of ocean boating. I have done lots of bay and river boating with these smaller crafts. Most recently I have a 27 ft Sea Ray, 1 engine, but she's getting old and my latest purchase will replace her. 33 ft is my latest acquisition, with twin v-8's and all the electronics I need(I think), this is probably the last boat I will own. After a complete check over and service of this vessel, I plan on making the trip from West Palm to Freeport. This is where I need the advise. Keep in mind I'm a total novice at doing a crossing like this,and I've never been out of sight of land except on a 1000 ft Cruise ship.

I have no fear of doing it and I won't do it until I feel, I and the boat, are ready. I'm just looking for some advice and/or a section of this forum that would touch on this subject.
A gentleman I was speaking with recently, told me about a group of boater or a club that leaves West Palm all together and does a "ARMADA", if you will, which is something I would be interested in doing my first crossing.
Does anyone on here know anything about that?? Any info or advise would be appreciated very much. Tom
tompands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 13:34   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Tom,
I don't know about what you are asking but I'm welcoming you aboard anyway. I hope others here will chime in with the right answer soon.
kind regards,
Old 15-08-2010, 13:36   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Go with people first who can teach you the ropes before going about it alone.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 14:38   #4

Usually there will be somone organizing a "crossing party" on the vhf. Plan to hang out around your departure point and find a group you will fit into. Most of these "organizers "do hourly radio checks and position reports. I should mention that this is fairly common in the winter months. But you should due your own research into tactics for Crossing the Gulfstream.
Old 15-08-2010, 18:00   #5

Boat: Chapparal 290 Signature
Thanks for the reply, I most certainly will do my research before attempting it . I am one who believes in being prepared for anything. I live by Murphy's Law..."If it can happen, it will happen". Thanks again for the replies.
tompands is offline   Reply With Quote