Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2022, 10:43   #1

World becomes a tricky place

This is not a political thread trying to take a side, the intention is to figure out how other members will react to new development.

Lately, western countries seized yachts of Russian individuals as a retaliation against Russia.
How do you perceive the risk of another country that doesn't agree with the policies of your home country will detain your boat now that a precedent was created.
Old 05-03-2022, 11:04   #2

Re: World becomes a tricky place

This is a very fast-evolving situation. And I doubt that there are very many superyacht-owning CF members.

There's no significant cruising development for CF members to 'react' to, really . So unless this is supposed to be an outlet for discussing the war... probably not a useful thread.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:56   #3

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

I can't imagine a government seizing an everyday sailboat due to the actions of its registered country.

However,the U.S. has a long history of seizing boats, cars and other property from owners after finding "contraband" such as small amounts of marijuana and other recreational drugs.

This has happened even when the drugs were possessed by a crew member or passenger without the knowledge of the owner.

Money-hungry police agencies (local, state and federal) had aggressive programs for such seizures. Often, they would seize Daddy's Mercedes because Junior was stopped with a joint in his pocket.

I seem to remember a court ruling several years ago that curtailed this practice somewhat. Not being an attorney, I don't know whether this died out entirely, but I tend to doubt it.
Old 05-03-2022, 13:38   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Nation states have enormous powers to seize assets particularly outside your home. So cars , sailing boats etc are quite straightforward to seize , proceeds of crime legislation, contraband , etc etc.
Old 05-03-2022, 13:57   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: World becomes a tricky place

Its been tricky for a couple of decades, just that you've not noticed.
Everything you have hangs on a whim and the click of a mouse..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient.. and politicians NEVER bite the hand that feeds.
Old 05-03-2022, 13:58   #6

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Pirates. Nothing more
Old 05-03-2022, 15:02   #7

Boat: Amel 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Pirates. Nothing more
Yeah, It's without due process and it's basically piracy.
Old 05-03-2022, 15:09   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Hunter45 View Post
This is not a political thread trying to take a side, the intention is to figure out how other members will react to new development.

Lately, western countries seized yachts of Russian individuals as a retaliation against Russia.
How do you perceive the risk of another country that doesn't agree with the policies of your home country will detain your boat now that a precedent was created.
I perceive it as a nothing thought that I wasted more time typing this than it is worth thinking about
Old 05-03-2022, 15:09   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

Piracy. But hey, invading a foreign country is just fine.
Old 05-03-2022, 15:17   #10

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdoug View Post
Piracy. But hey, invading a foreign country is just fine.
I come from a country where it is routine business for the government to steal peoples’ assets without due process. I believe my opinion counts, based on this. My post has nothing to do with Russia.

I was actually picturing the case where maybe you were visiting here and they stole your boat.
Old 05-03-2022, 15:25   #11

Frankly, if an individual is part of a high-level support system for something this unacceptable, I'm not going to weep over this. It's far from the greatest injustice happening this week.

“Either you’re part of the problem or you’re part of the solution, or you’re just part of the landscape.”
Old 05-03-2022, 15:27   #12

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Nation states have enormous powers to seize assets particularly outside your home. So cars , sailing boats etc are quite straightforward to seize , proceeds of crime legislation, contraband , etc etc.
Documented vessels become "Vessels of the United States" and when seized by a foreign government not "At War" with the US, or vessels in violation of treaties or certain other agreements with the US, are afforded protection by the Secretary of State of the United States.

What good this does is unknown but at least there is a specified procedure for notification of the Secretary of State and that official is then supposed to do certain things, arrange for monetary compensation among them.

I don't think they send in an aircraft carrier.
Old 05-03-2022, 16:13   #13

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

US went to war with England over this in 1812. And I’ve seen it more recently in banana republics. It’s always been a threat, but the threat ebbs and flows.

Governments can make noise and seize these Russian yachts for optics. The oligarchs will threaten with blackmail and other financial ramifications, and the boats will be quietly returned. They all know the game, and they will play it.

A guy who can afford a $550m yacht waves his hand and anyone except a head of state can get deaded. Actually he could wave his hand and any head of state could be terminated, but he won’t because of politics. All these politicians and players know this, and thus it’s all a game of show.

Little people never want to get caught up in these games, as they expendable, including by their own government. So don’t go anywhere stupid.
Old 05-03-2022, 16:58   #14

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
I can't imagine a government seizing an everyday sailboat due to the actions of its registered country.
They absolutely can, even for made-up reasons. As for 550 million boats, they should scuttle them or begin scrapping them right away to ensure they cannot be returned.

There is also discussion about doing this in time of crisis, the government could for example search your boat for food and distribute it to the local population.
Old 05-03-2022, 19:11   #15

You are lucky to have big uncle Sam behind you, I don't think our polite (Canadian) politicians will do anything to help a stranded sailor.
Closed Thread