Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2009, 15:02   #1

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
It's Never Over Until You Say It's Over

Ardell Lien was in his mid-sixties and near death from heart and renal failure. Everyone knew that he was a goner. Making a last ditch, last glimmer of hope effort, he went to the Mayo Clinic to see if anything could be done. In January 2003, he underwent a combined heart and kidney transplant. Three years later, Ardell purchased a Norsea 27 sailboat, and on May 7, 2005, at age 70, he left San Diego for a single-handed 17 1/2 month sailing voyage around the world. He sailed back into San Diego on October 19, 2006 at 71 years of age.

It's never over until you say it's over.

Check out these links for more details:

Ardell Lien

Scientific Frontline / 71-year old Captain Completes Solo Round-the-World Voyage

http://www.ikidney.com/article.php?id=20070207194401
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 15:59   #2

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
The human spirit is limitless.
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 16:57   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Thansk Dave:

makes the little problems seem like nothing.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 22:01   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Thanks Dave...as you know, I can certainly relate.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 22:24   #5

I can always use a shot of inspiration. It's easy to get down when you get run over by the Mac Truck of Life. This week I had orthopedic surgery with six pins and external fixation of a broken right wrist. I will be Dr. Heavy Metal for at least a month and out of work for six weeks. For the past two weeks, I have been typing with one finger on my left hand. But compared to Ardell Lien, I have a sissy problem. My wife allows me to complain only five minutes a day.

Physical suffering does have it's rewards. It makes you a better doctor because you can understand your patient's pain, fear, and disability. At the same time, it qualifies you to talk to other people who are facing similar challenges. You can honestly say to them that you know how they feel.

Ardell Lien is eminently qualified to talk about pain, suffering, and through it all, still living his dreams.

Good on you Ardell Lien.
Old 15-03-2009, 23:30   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
There is a thread this week of a man the same age, solo non stop circumnav on a similar size boat... who died.

50:50?

Mark
PS I'm not trying to rain on the parade.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 05:02   #7

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Naw, most of us can only pray we reach at least 70 and are still capable of TRYING to circumnavigate! Hopefully with all our own parts...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 06:06   #8

Boat: Valiant 50
"It's Never Over Until You Say It's Over"

Precisely!

Its fantastically inspirational to see someone make full use of their "second chance".
Old 16-03-2009, 07:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
There is a thread this week of a man the same age, solo non stop circumnav on a similar size boat... who died.

50:50?

Mark
I understand your comment. I've thought a lot about this point after watching two parents wither away with cancer this year at age 85 and 86.

Both my wife and I hope that we get promoted to the next life while we are living our dreams rather than hunkered down in a psychological bunker worrying about global warming, the global financial crisis, pirates, health issues, and a hundred other negative fantasies of doom and gloom.

Life is for living and not for fearing. When it's time to leave, I hope I do it while I'm living my dreams. Sailing into the next life would be fine. I hope that I am so lucky.

Ardell Lien took a big and extremely unnecessary risk, except that he wanted to live his dreams. I will never fault a person for living their dreams.

It's never over until you say it's over, and when it happens, you'll be lucky if you are living your dreams.
Old 16-03-2009, 09:13   #10
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Dave, I couldn't agree more. The issue is not one of risk, nor one of the odds of succeeding at a circumnavigation when aging or elderly. The issue is that all too many of us see the obstacles, rather than the opportunites that present themselves.

I lost the love of my life to breast cancer 4 years ago, have a sister-in-law who is currently battling the disease at age 47 and a brother who has just had his prostrate removed. I have chosen to leave behind a lucrative career this year, at great cost not only in earnings but in my pension, precisely because we can never know our 'shelf - life'.

Like anyone over age 50, I am already past my 'best-before date', but that will not deter me. More importantly, I will not wait any longer despite many logical, or pragmatic reasons to 'wait another couple of years'. When pursuing a dream, it is best to do it with less than you had hoped, than to never do it at all.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 10:00   #11

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
I understand your comment. I've thought a lot about this point after watching two parents wither away with cancer this year at age 85 and 86.

Both my wife and I hope that we get promoted to the next life while we are living our dreams rather than hunkered down in a psychological bunker worrying about global warming, the global financial crisis, pirates, health issues, and a hundred other negative fantasies of doom and gloom.

Life is for living and not for fearing. When it's time to leave, I hope I do it while I'm living my dreams. Sailing into the next life would be fine. I hope that I am so lucky.

Ardell Lien took a big and extremely unnecessary risk, except that he wanted to live his dreams. I will never fault a person for living their dreams.

It's never over until you say it's over, and when it happens, you'll be lucky if you are living your dreams.
Good point...Definately negativity will defile the body as sure as a bullet would.To live constantly in fear of things which might happen or could happen will cause rapid deterioration of the body. Good thoughts bring good action bring good circumstances. The same is true for ill thoughts bearing ill actions then circumstances. We as a race know if we plant corn we get corn but some how the logic changes when we live in fear and hope good will come out of it.
Certainly if one has the resources, go sailing now.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 16:19   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Life is for living and not for fearing. When it's time to leave, I hope I do it while I'm living my dreams.
Beautifully said

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 16:32   #13

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Dave, I couldn't agree more. The issue is not one of risk, nor one of the odds of succeeding at a circumnavigation when aging or elderly. The issue is that all too many of us see the obstacles, rather than the opportunites that present themselves.

I lost the love of my life to breast cancer 4 years ago, have a sister-in-law who is currently battling the disease at age 47 and a brother who has just had his prostrate removed. I have chosen to leave behind a lucrative career this year, at great cost not only in earnings but in my pension, precisely because we can never know our 'shelf - life'.

Like anyone over age 50, I am already past my 'best-before date', but that will not deter me. More importantly, I will not wait any longer despite many logical, or pragmatic reasons to 'wait another couple of years'. When pursuing a dream, it is best to do it with less than you had hoped, than to never do it at all.

Brad

The only point I cannot agree or sympathise with you is ...the "best before date". We may be "discounted for sale"....But all the better "value" for that.

Very best regards and good wishes to you in achieving your "ongoing" dream.

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote