Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2018, 18:56   #1

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Help to remove knob on a Klixon circuit breaker

I have a Klixon ---> https://www.peerlesselectronics.com/...766-19-135.pdf

I have searched and cant find any detail on removing the knob does anyone know ?

PS its on the anchor windless - Do I need it ? I'm not going to sit there straining the motor pulling the anchor in.

If I do remove it do I just connect the in and out cables ?

Thanks
Old 28-11-2018, 22:34   #2

Re: Help to remove knob on a Klixon circuit breaker

You need a breaker for the windlass. (And everything else on the boat). You can't just remove it.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 22:55   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

My GUESS it that the knob is threaded i.e. screws off.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 08:42   #4

The windlass motor has a dedicated fuse this seems to be protecting the switch circuit which runs quite heavy gauge wire, probably 25Amp and a 20Amp 125vac spdt (on) off (on) switch.

The knob doesn't unscrew it is free to rotate, it has no pins or screws, I assume when it trips off, the knob pops out and to reset you push it back in. I was hoping it would pull out to revival something to allow it to undo but I have put enough force on it to pull out that I was worried it might break.
Old 30-11-2018, 11:32   #5

Boat: Stevens 47

The data sheet says that may be switched on and off manually, so you should be able to push it in our pull it out with modest force.

What is the problem with the breaker? Is it open (not supplying power to the windlass)?

On some devices with a push/pull knob like this has, the entire knob and shaft come out of the switch. To disengage the shaft, one sticks a dental pick or other skinny object into a hole in the body of the switch. You use the pick to depress the catch that holds the shaft in the switch and then pull the shaft and knob out.
sainted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 12:05   #6

It's jammed up, I used excessive force by leavering up the knob and it did come up but still didn't reveal anything new. Last idea is to remove the adjusting set screw at the back and see if something is hiding under there. Problem is how calibrate it after.

Its so jammed up it couldn't possibly work.
Old 30-11-2018, 12:32   #7

Boat: Newport 30
Smile Re: Help to remove knob on a Klixon circuit breaker

Hi Dave.

Can I please suggest that you buy a new circuit breaker and replace the one you have that is broken? Circuit breakers are an extremely important line of defense against electrical wire fires which are difficult to put out once started.
While you're at it, it is always a good idea to make sure the circuit breaker is the right size for the power wire it's connected to. There is at least one chart that I know of which will help you select the right breaker for your existing wire (sorry, I don't have the URL handy). Also, fuses suck! They corrode at the ends on boats, even the same rated fuses never 'break' at the same current, and about a hundred other reasons.

Steve
westwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 13:19   #8

Dave_S, if you ever manage to work out how the knob is removed, please let us know as I am very curious?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 30-11-2018, 18:34   #9

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

We know the knob comes off because it was assembled to a panel with a smaller hole. I see there is a small hole near the bottom of the unit. Try pushing a paper clip into the hole until there is a click - then try to pull out the knob. Else with the clip bottomed in the hole, try turning the knob. Lastly, or firstly, contact www.sensata.com who seem to be the manufacturers, and ask them.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 16:03   #10

Ok, for Wotname and anyone looking up this in the future.

Maxwell no longer use the Klixon switches they have a switch that they brand for them selves --> Part No. P100791 and are about half the price of Klixon Part No. 6766-19-135.

The mounting is different but the plates are close and will probably fit in the same place, (107mm x 95mm V's 102x102 for the Klixon) the new one needs an 80mm hole centred.

The Klixon comes mounted on a 4' x 4" plate that is factory assembled and the unit is not intended to be serviced......... Ha ha Not bad for a US$200 switch.

The mark in the image that looks like it could be a push-in type release was also on my switch. In real life it just looks like damage but I think once assembled they melt/weld then grind off the hole that hides the release, probably to waterproof it. When I have the new switch in my hand I will drill it out to see how it comes apart.

My switch is just gummed up, I'm sure it is repairable.
Old 02-12-2018, 16:10   #11

Thanks, looking forward to hearing about what you find after you drill it.

And I think your plate was 4" x 4" rather than 4' x 4"
Old 02-12-2018, 16:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Thanks, looking forward to hearing about what you find after you drill it.

And I think your plate was 4" x 4" rather than 4' x 4"
Maybe :-)

yes 4"x4"
Old 03-12-2018, 16:09   #13

The knob is intended to unscrew. Mine was never going to, the thread was corroded and seized the only thing holding the threaded screw captive was a small piece of internal plastic moulding which failed as soon as I held the plastic shaft and turned the knob. To remove the knob, hold the plastic shaft and unscrew the knob. Then when that doesn't work throw it in the bin. But at least you tried hey !

The switch is assembled by crimping everything. I had to drill out 4 crimps and grind off 1to get it apart. If it would come apart it would have been easily repaired. The only issue was the screw had corroded, expanding in the plastic which bound in the corroded guide.

Bottom line.... the switch is not intended to be serviced. The knob should come off if in perfect condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181204_064503.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	181649  
Old 03-12-2018, 16:56   #14

^^ thanks for the update and I like it when my guess was correct!