Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2007, 13:57   #1

Boat: Endeavour E40
To VARNISH... or NOT to varnish.............

Sounds like a fairly simple question that has been discussed for many moons...... however.......
I'm replacing my hatches with LEWMARs and there's a strip of teak between the hatch and the deck with just the outer edge of the teak exposed, which is "painted" white.

My question is:

A.) Do I remove the hatch, sand down the teak strip and then varnish the entire strip before laying down the new hatch with sealant on it.......

B.) Remove the hatch, sand down the teak strip to bare wood, install the new hatch with the sealant, then varnish the outer edge of the teak......

C.) ORRRRRR...... sand down the teak strip and leave it completely "au naturale" and lay down the new hatch on the bare teak?

I did a search I couldn't find this specific dilemma..... and I know some of you gents will have very good recommendations...... I've picked up some very good info from this site and I'm looking forward this one.
Thanks!
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 14:41   #2

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Cotton View Post
Sounds like a fairly simple question that has been discussed for many moons...... however.......
I'm replacing my hatches with LEWMARs and there's a strip of teak between the hatch and the deck with just the outer edge of the teak exposed, which is "painted" white.

My question is:

A.) Do I remove the hatch, sand down the teak strip and then varnish the entire strip before laying down the new hatch with sealant on it.......

B.) Remove the hatch, sand down the teak strip to bare wood, install the new hatch with the sealant, then varnish the outer edge of the teak......

C.) ORRRRRR...... sand down the teak strip and leave it completely "au naturale" and lay down the new hatch on the bare teak?

I did a search I couldn't find this specific dilemma..... and I know some of you gents will have very good recommendations...... I've picked up some very good info from this site and I'm looking forward this one.
Thanks!
How much teak do you have on your boat? Is it varnished?

Personally, if you don't have much teak on the boat now, I'd paint it white and never worry about it again but then, I got sick of varnishing years ago. Kanani has a ton of teak (typical Taiwan boat) and I painted it all when I went cruising. When I got back, I put 3 coats of Sikkens Cetol on it and it looked great. A light scrub and a new coat every 3 months and it stays nice (as long as it doesn't get scratched).
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 15:00   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Things laid directly on teak will form rot. I'm dealing with some now. You need to seal the joint between the hatch and what ever it rests upon. A nice bedding like Silkaflex or Boatlife is nice. Do not use 3M 5200! The exposed teak you can do with as you like.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 15:29   #4

I do have a fair amount of teak on deck of my E40 and having only owned it for over a year I don't mind doing the teak with FLAGSHIP varnish, I love the look of a beautiful glossy teak, especially the 10" wide teak that goes completely around my center cockpit and the cap-rail all around.
So for looks, I'd really like to varnish this strip of teak that the hatch rests on but just want to make sure that would seal better than bare teak......
Old 29-11-2007, 17:15   #5

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Cotton View Post
I do have a fair amount of teak on deck of my E40 and having only owned it for over a year I don't mind doing the teak with FLAGSHIP varnish, I love the look of a beautiful glossy teak, especially the 10" wide teak that goes completely around my center cockpit and the cap-rail all around.
So for looks, I'd really like to varnish this strip of teak that the hatch rests on but just want to make sure that would seal better than bare teak......
You could do it either way. Bed the hatch, clean the caulking with mineral spirits then varnish it. You could also varnish first but you may want the varnish to cure before bedding the new hatch.

When you re-varnish, you will only be able to varnish up to the hatch anyway. However, as mentioned by Pblais, make sure that no water can get under the vanish.

I like 3M 5200. Nothing holds like it. However, don't plan on ever removing that hatch once it cures.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 21:04   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
For me the answer is NOT. I though do like looking at other peoples varnished beauties, as my boat is leaving the dock while they are busily putting on their fifth coat for the year.

I like the look but it seems such a waste of time.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 22:20   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
David M said what I've been thinking. Do you want to varnish or sail?

I like smelling newly mown lawn as much as the next guy, but I have river rock from the street all the way around my house to the dock ramp.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 03:24   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
If you varnish do not use a silicone based calk as it will eat the varnish. It likes the edges and then it begins the process of lifting up the varnish.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 10:26   #9

To break down the question...

Your question is: What is the best way to install this hatch, especially relating to the surface finish of the teak strip at the base?

The goal of the hatch and deck assembly is to be a water-tight access, and to be as nearly maintenance-free as is consistent with that goal.

With that in mind, the teak should be sealed and protected from moisture cycles as well as sunlight deterioration, but in the process you need to avoid sealing in too much moisture. It also needs to be inspected for rot. So yah, you do need to sand it down and clean it up.

After that, yes, you need to completely seal the surface of the teak before adding the hatch. There are several reasons for this, but the most cogent is to reduce the chance of water getting into the wood, and the hatch - being a conductor of heat - will tend to attract condensation on surfaces which are not perfectly sealed. (Since the teak and the hatch are different materials it's hard to get and maintain a "perfect" seal, unless you plan on removing and rebedding it often...)

You like shiny teak, so go ahead and varnish it up on all surfaces you can. I'd put more-than-necessary coats where the hatch will be bedded, just because you won't have access to those surfaces for a long time. And extra coats on exposed surfaces because they will get the sun, weather, and wear.

There are several threads here regarding the bedding mastic. Make your choice and be scrupulous about using it. One measure of how well you're doing it is if you would be willing to turn a pressure washer loose on the joint, knowing that if it leaks you have to pull it off and start over...

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 11:22   #10

I appreciate all the recommendations, thoughts and suggestions.......
this did enlighten me, especially when it pertains to LEAKS, which no sailor worth his salt would EVER let water leak into the cabin...... but having said that, I guess it's sorta like somebody previously said, "there are two types of sailors, those that have run aground and those that will run aground"!