Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2021, 15:15   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Compression post / deck Red Flag? (83' Hunter 36)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
A little water intrusion and a sag?
A lot of water intrusion and that balsa has turned to compost mud. Notice the steel plate spanning the deck head crack fastened with 4 screws ! Obscene stupidity ! What else has the idiot owner done to that boat ?
It will cost more to fix this than the boat is worth. With the schedules of marine glass techs right now I bet it would take a year to get fixed.
Old 25-06-2021, 15:17   #17

Oh whoa. I thought that was a wood access panel at first glance.

Run, don’t walk.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 15:28   #18

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

RUN like Lion's chasing you!!

Please keep us informed of your next Find of a boat you just can't resist, we'd love to give you more opinions and other info.

Apollo Wayne
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 15:53   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
A lot of water intrusion and that balsa has turned to compost mud. Notice the steel plate spanning the deck head crack fastened with 4 screws ! Obscene stupidity ! What else has the idiot owner done to that boat ?
It will cost more to fix this than the boat is worth. With the schedules of marine glass techs right now I bet it would take a year to get fixed.
I went back and looked. That looks like a dumb attempt as a solution.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 16:45   #20

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

FWIW, free would be to much money for a sailboat in that condition, this boat is a hard pass, just walk away, there are lots of other boats that won’t cost you far to many thousands of dollars to fix just one issue, and likely won’t really ever be right afterwards. That and it’s going to need lots of other work and parts on top of that mess just to get it up to snuff as it were, if the boat your looking at doesn’t even have a sound hull and Deck, you gotta ask yourself some serious questions as to why this would be a good idea to pursue.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 16:53   #21

Not only that, but if a steel plate and wood screws is a ‘repair’, what other things did they try to fix?
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 17:28   #22

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

That's nothing to do with "sag". To make that crack clean across the structural bulkhead took some serious force even if it were underbuilt at the time. Any cracks that size in fibreglass means you are looking at a "project boat" at the very best.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 21:55   #23

Boat: Leopard 45

I bought an 85 Hunter 34 about 20 years ago with exactly the same problem. We got a quote to replace the compression post for $6,000. We did it ourselves for $500. The biggest cost removing the mast. After that we removed the 1 x 4" surrounds on the compression post. When we got a look at the compression post we about fainted. It was rotted through at the base so much we could push our finger through. We bought a 4x4 piece of pressure treat pine to replace it. You could also use a 4" diameter stainless post. We then used a jack to push up the deck to where it should be and cut the new compression post to size and slipped it in.
The reason the original compression post rotted was water intrusion at the mast boot. When you replace the mast be sure there is plenty of waterproofing to prevent any new intrusion.
I can send you more pictures of the whole project if you'd like. Hunters of you (and my vintage) have had exactly the problem you pictured. It really doesn't have to cost more than $1,000 to repair if you take it on yourself. It also shouldn't take more than a day or two.
cheers,
Jim
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 00:03   #24

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Yes it is fixable,is it viable probably not ,cost maybe more than a much better boat,ditch it .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 08:27   #25

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Unless you like spending a lot of Time and money, in the boatyard.
There's lots of other boats out there.
I'd pass on it.
It probably has many other issues.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 05:41   #26

Boat: C&C 30 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim King View Post
I bought an 85 Hunter 34 about 20 years ago with exactly the same problem. We got a quote to replace the compression post for $6,000. We did it ourselves for $500. The biggest cost removing the mast. After that we removed the 1 x 4" surrounds on the compression post. When we got a look at the compression post we about fainted. It was rotted through at the base so much we could push our finger through. We bought a 4x4 piece of pressure treat pine to replace it. You could also use a 4" diameter stainless post. We then used a jack to push up the deck to where it should be and cut the new compression post to size and slipped it in.
The reason the original compression post rotted was water intrusion at the mast boot. When you replace the mast be sure there is plenty of waterproofing to prevent any new intrusion.
I can send you more pictures of the whole project if you'd like. Hunters of you (and my vintage) have had exactly the problem you pictured. It really doesn't have to cost more than $1,000 to repair if you take it on yourself. It also shouldn't take more than a day or two.
cheers,
Jim
I did this same repair on a friend's 34 about 14 years ago. It was a fairly easy fix and its still holding up fine.
Drumroll30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 13:57   #27

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

I do not agree it is a simple fix and this is based on 50+ years of boatbuilding.
The real question is why fix it or even pay for a survey.
A lot has been published on Hunters of this vintage. Just looking at images, you will see a lot on deck core issues and cracks in STRUCTURAL members.
Often, what appears to be a minimal issue turns into a major rebuild. If it were your vessel and a crack opened up, you have little choice, but you are fortunately not the owner who perhaps feels comfortable with it as is.
Lot of fish in the sea. I would pass on this project.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his manatee crew of professional boatbuilders.
Funny looking...but also competent in gourmet pizza and craft beer consumption.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 14:08   #28

Definitely not good, but maybe not a game changer either. Is that a hollow liner on the ceiling and they didnt fill the gap? Is any cave-in noticeable on deck? maybe it just needs the post removed and the gap filled or more reinforcement. In theory you want a continuous line of support from the mast base to the post base (and under the post in the bilge!) It ain't brain surgery to do if that's the only fault in the boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 14:11   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Definitely not good, but maybe not a game changer either. Is that a hollow liner and they didnt fill the gap? Is any cave in noticeable on deck? maybe it just needs the post removed and the gap filled or more reinforcement. In theory you want a continuous line of support from the mast base to the post base (and under the post in the bilge!) I tain't brain surgery to do if that's the only fault in the boat.
Thats a structural deckhead beam integral to the liner ... the one in the second photo with the crude, screwed in metal plate patch over the giant crack. It will cost more to fix this boat than it's worth.
Old 27-06-2021, 14:14   #30

Quote:
Thats a structural deckhead beam integral to the liner ... the one in the second photo with the crude, screwed in metal plate patch over the giant crack. It will cost more to fix this boat than it's worth.
Cut a nice rectangle out of it. Put the new post on the deck underside as it should be. At least viewing from afar...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compression, deck, hunter