Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2020, 16:37   #1

Inflatable for fishing

I have been lurking here for a lot of information and I love the community here. Been fishing for my life and always shore bound. Recently with my friends chipped in a used inflatable (Orion 10') for fishing very close to shore and some inaccessible areas up in the northeast.

After doing so for about a year now looking to upgrade to a more solid inflatable that potentially be better for fishing.

Few things to consider, we can not tow at all. So a trailer to bring the boat is out of the question. However we bring everything, pump the boat, launch at a ramp or beach area. With an inflatable is doable pretty much anywhere.

Two, inflatable is hard to flip or sink.... unless it leaks.... and we can bring 3 adults and gears on board with lots of weight to spare still.

We have a cheapy China made motor and a trolling motor which both are good getting us to and back of where we go. Never a mile out at all ( don't need to ). Looking to upgrade that too.

Unfortunately, with an inflatable, there are no rod holders or no anchor points/mounts. There are add-on we can glue to the boat, but making folding and storing the boat seems tricky I think.

Is there are any pointers or option on what we do to make our experience better on the water?

Thank you.
foxfai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 17:44   #2

Boat: Maine Cat 38
Re: Inflatable for fishing

Sounds like fun.

Get a milk crate to hold the fishing gear. Mount pvc pipe tubes in the corners for rod holders. Put a crate in the front (bow) and another in the stern.

Get good sun protection clothing, including hats and face coverings
Old 28-07-2020, 20:16   #3

Boat: Tartan 28

Take a look at Porta Bote. Also note endorsement from my favorite sailing couple

https://youtu.be/WHHrLTMZSYg
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 22:59   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

A long time ago I had a 6 man war surplus inflatable. Using the oar locks and existing tie downs I made a rack out of schedule 80 (thick wall) plastic pipe to hold an outboard. Rod holders can attach to the rack. A sheet of marine plywood that fits the floor makes moving around easier and protects the bottom. Round edges on the plywood and seal it.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 15:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
A long time ago I had a 6 man war surplus inflatable. Using the oar locks and existing tie downs I made a rack out of schedule 80 (thick wall) plastic pipe to hold an outboard. Rod holders can attach to the rack. A sheet of marine plywood that fits the floor makes moving around easier and protects the bottom. Round edges on the plywood and seal it.
Would you happen to have a picture of what's like?
foxfai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 15:40   #6

I've fished a ton out of an inflatable RIB. That's a great way to go, but if you cant carry a RIB then I guess a hard floor or rollup is ok if it has a solid type transom.
Have some good wood oars in case your engine fails. More than a few have been blown away from shore never to be seen again. Inflatables are very hard to make progress in rowing.
I just lean the rod on the boat with my toe on the heel of the rod. But with a rigid transom you can clamp on a regular rod holder. A bucket or basket is nice for misc stuff.
For 3 people I'd want a 10 ft or longer inflatable.
Good brands used can be a bargain. I like the Achilles. But other Hypalon types are usually pretty good too. Cheap brands can have lots of leaking issues.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, fishing, inflatable