Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2020, 19:06   #1

Sail from New York to Europe in June

Hello, my friend and I want to sail from New York to Europe in June 2020. We are looking for someone who is doing this trip and would accept us as passengers, with whatever conditions they put. We are open to talk about them.
MaCaVi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 20:07   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Sail from New York to Europe in June

It would help if you told us about your nationality (given current international travel restrictions) and your sailing experience.

You may get someone looking for crew, but "passengers"? forget it.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 21:17   #3

Thanks for the quick reply! Okay, we can be crew. We have no experience sailing, but are willing to learn and are fast learners.

My friend is from the US and I'm from Spain, but I haven't been in Spain for 8 months now. I have been living in the US.

Please, let us know and put us in touch if you know someone who's looking for crew.

We would rather sail to Barcelona, but if the current international travel restrictions don't allow this trip to happen in June, then anywhere in Europe would be OK for us.
Old 24-04-2020, 04:24   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, MaCaVi.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 07:48   #5

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

It could easily get missed in this General Sailing forum.
Would re-post this in the Crew Wanted/Available forum

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f30/

Good luck
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 10:44   #6

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaCaVi View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! Okay, we can be crew. We have no experience sailing, but are willing to learn and are fast learners.

My friend is from the US and I'm from Spain, but I haven't been in Spain for 8 months now. I have been living in the US.

Please, let us know and put us in touch if you know someone who's looking for crew.

We would rather sail to Barcelona, but if the current international travel restrictions don't allow this trip to happen in June, then anywhere in Europe would be OK for us.
If you do find such a boat - make sure the captain knows what he's doing. There are many things novices can do to support a trans ocean crossing but sailing with little or no experience on board would be a terrible idea.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 11:04   #7

Boat: 1993 Horstman Tristar trimaran, 46'

I have to agree with the “terrible idea” comment. Especially on that route. You can’t just “turn around” when you’re 3 days out just because someone aboard fails to acquire the “sea legs” (your conditioning and acclimation to the sea state on a boat) required on such a journey.

Even for myself, nearly 49 yrs experience on the water, plus being a waterman/ athlete, when I leave on a passage, it takes me about 48 hrs just to “settle in.” No way I would take a chance on a newby for such a long passage like that.
captaingregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 11:16   #8

Boat: Island Packet 420

Quote:
Hello, my friend and I want to sail from New York to Europe in June 2020. We are looking for someone who is doing this trip and would accept us as passengers, with whatever conditions they put. We are open to talk about them.
Sailed from Maryland to Spain May/June of 2016. There is no way I would take 2 novices on a trip like that. The weather on the easterly passage can be pretty miserable and you are not talking about a cruise ship.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 11:44   #9

Depending on which State you are presently located and which State you would depart from you maybe required to undergo 14 days self isolation upon entry into the destination State. That could be done on board the vessel or in a hotel. If in a hotel then the skipper would want to assure themselves that you have not come into contact with anyone on land before onboarding of you as passengers on their vessel so as to avoid SARS-CoV-2 contagion. Although 14 days appears to be an inadequate period of time to be assured someone is asymptomatic and also contagion free. In Lombardy Italy the self-isolation requirement has been extended to 28 days and they are still finding persons that test positive for the virus well after 30 days.

The skipper should also be self-isolated for the lengthy period of time before the voyage, meaning no contact with anyone on land, e.g., provisioning, fueling, maintenance, etc.

And then one should expect a 14 day self-isolation period upon arrival at the port in Europe. Most countries do not count the days spent in transit from a location to their shore as self-isolation. Self-isolation begins upon the customs and border patrol making first contact with the vessel that is requesting free pratique. They will provide a questionnaire about the status of the health of each individual on the vessel and may conduct a preliminary exam of the health of the persons, observation and temperature check, or as more test become available perhaps a swab testing. So one will have a length self-isolation period on board at anchor at the port of entry in addition to the period of time of passage making. And of course this assumes that entry will be allowed by the country. Spain has extended its complete lockdown until May 9th. One can expect social distancing protocols for the foreseeable future, until there is a vaccine or an effective therapeutic discovered and developed. There will be phased releasing of the restrictions over time and perhaps phased tightening of restrictions if the virus passes through cycles of waves. We are just near the top of the first wave, waves come in sets.
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 08:18   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
If you do find such a boat - make sure the captain knows what he's doing. There are many things novices can do to support a trans ocean crossing but sailing with little or no experience on board would be a terrible idea.
Okay, clear enough. Then we would like to know what skills we need to have to be part of a crew. We might not get these skills in two months (which is when we want to sail), but maybe in the future we can achieve our goal.
Old 25-04-2020, 08:40   #11

Godspeed.
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 10:52   #12

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Okay, clear enough. Then we would like to know what skills we need to have to be part of a crew. We might not get these skills in two months (which is when we want to sail), but maybe in the future we can achieve our goal.
As far a skills go, standing watch is probably the most useful skill that you can contribute. As the navigation instruments can vary widely from boat to boat, your captain should advise you on how to read these instruments. You'll like not be asked to anything at first without instruction. If you are it might be a good time to consider jumping ship One thing you can do ahead of time is learn the names of the basic sailing gear, learn how to tie a bowline and know that sheet lines are always wrapped around a winch in a clockwise direction. Most everything else will be specific to that boat. You won't get the chance to really know the boat until you've been on it at least a couple of days. BTW, do you get seasick? This can be very no bueno on a long passage such as you're considering.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, new york, rope, sail