Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 13-09-2022, 18:43   #4876

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Here are some pics. The furler lines, hardware are pretty much all Harken, final details are pending, but the operational details work well, so now I can install the headsails, sheets and shiny bits
More pics to come.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2022, 18:47   #4877

Hope these pics make itClick image for larger version

Name:	20220912_134330.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	264475Click image for larger version

Name:	20220913_173120.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	264476Click image for larger version

Name:	20220913_173229.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	264477Click image for larger version

Name:	20220913_173134.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	264478Click image for larger version

Name:	20220913_173103.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	264479
Old 14-09-2022, 05:29   #4878

Hi Roy,
Your boat is looking real good.

I was wondering about your non-skid, as I am going to need to redo ours.
(We've got a 1975 Tristar)
Our non-skid looks to be done with sprinkled grit on a wet coat and then a couple of layers of paint over that. Very effective and nice feel, and has lasted very well.
Problem is that with deck rot repairs and other repairs, and general deterioration, I need to repaint now that I have done all the repairs, and want to match the old non-skid.
I have found suitable grit for the repaired areas. I just wonder how best to blend in with the old. It's tricky fairing in at the right level to the non-skid surrounding the repairs. And how to clean and key the old non-skid areas?

I was wondering how you handled this, as I can see you have some repaired areas and must have some of the same issues to blend in the repairs, and paint the old areas over.

Jamie
gruffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2022, 10:46   #4879

Jamie, don't over think this repair. You will be the only person who really notices. I try to work on zones, defined by what we call "waterways", glossy strips an inch wide, which then get masking tape over them and the nonskid gets rolled on, grit sprinkled lightly over the fresh paint, let it dry overnight, then vacuum the non adhered grit and cover with sequential applications of paint. If you do it in zones you can reapply within 24 hours and not have to be concerned with sanding between coats.
Old 19-09-2022, 12:55   #4880

This morning I epoxied the deck coaming that prevents my port forward headsail furlers (seen in my recent photos early last week) from being a tripping hazard. Like the future dodger coamings, I use a PVC pipe section glued in place, followed by glassing them, creatively molding and then painting them before finishing the portside nonskid. It's a lot of detail work, but it's going to be worth it. When complete it will appear to "grow" out of the deck naturally. Later I'll place a flat lid with nonskid to span the two coamings to ensure that the furler lines don't trip anyone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220919_100930.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	264723Click image for larger version

Name:	20220919_100915.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	264724
Old 19-09-2022, 13:14   #4881

I think the most challenging part of doing an overhaul of a whole boat is understanding the concept of sequencing all the individual projects. If you don't take care to have each step planned out, then expensive (time consuming, costly and frustrating) consequences ensue. Not to mention, that in these crazy times of supply chain chaos, you need to order way in advance and have plenty of common supplies like sandpaper, hardware, paint and acetone on hand. Right now I seem to have a better inventory of self tapping screws than West Marine.
Old 27-09-2022, 05:00   #4882

Thanks for your reply Roy.
How do you key the old non skid before painting? (Assuming you are not sanding off all the old non skid.. or are you?)
Old 30-09-2022, 08:45   #4883

Yes, Gruffa, I go over the old nonskid (which used silica sand as the grit) with the courses disks available for my vacuum sander. This knocks the sharp grit off the old paint and readies it for the nonskid grit (Awlgrip). Then I apply the masking tape and razor cut the corner radii to make it look nice. That's what I'm doing right now. Later, this morning I will mix some Sterling Moon Dust LPU, then begin rolling on the first coat, followed immediately with a dusting coat of grit. Tomorrow, I'll vacuum off the excess dusting of grit and roll on the first topcoat.

This is very exciting because our weather has been damp and foggy the last couple weeks making the masking tape application impossible. Today the decks are dry and we are masking all we can.

There is a portion of the aft portside quarter deck that I may not strip as it is in good condition due to minimal UV exposure, being covered by the RIB on deck rollers. I may just give it a good scrubbing with an abrasive cleaner (like Comet) and call it good. That leaves only the walkway around the sterncastle to paint. I want to install the Autohelm mechanical autopilot before doing so, for which there's no hurry. Again, it's all about sequences. I can't wait to send pictures of the roller furler control lines after I'm done painting the foredeck nonskid. The layout turned out beautifully and finishes that installation. Then I can install the staysail and jib on their respective rollers, finishing one more project. That will leave the anchor windlass and foredeck wiring (foredeck running light [engine running mode] and windlass controls, worklight and holding tank deck pump out fitting) to complete one more sequence project. Yesterday I loaded the two spare chain and rode into my car for installation in the forward wet hatches. Then, I will install the hatch hinges, after polishing, to finish the deck projects. Things are moving fast, finally.
Old 30-09-2022, 08:52   #4884

Masking the foredeck.Click image for larger version

Name:	20220930_085022.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	265178Click image for larger version

Name:	20220930_085036.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	265179
Old 30-09-2022, 12:56   #4885

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Things are moving fast, finally.
Itza great feeling to see things progressing fast. Ask me how i know.
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:01   #4886

Interlux makes a product called fiberglass surface prep that you can work into the nonskid surface using a fairly coarse Scotch Brite, then wash off with fresh water. Does a pretty good job of it

Pat
Tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 19:37   #4887

Thanks Roy, and thanks Pat.

Gives me more confidence to go ahead.
Old 08-10-2022, 16:11   #4888

Boat: 32ft Samson C-Mist

An ambitious asking price imo but there is a Searunner 37 for sale in Queensland, Australia.

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...nner-37/283539
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_4.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	265513  
Old 08-10-2022, 23:52   #4889

Well, 75k in Aussie dollars is about 50k in USD so maybe not as ambitious as it might sound.
The second hand boat market has been quite hot for the last two years too. But may be cooling now.
Looks to have all the gear and low hours engine, perhaps on the small side though. Can't tell what the condition is like though.
Maybe at the high end for this type of boat here.
(Though someone is trying to sell their Cross 53 for $400k AUD ! )
Old 09-10-2022, 13:37   #4890

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

Yeah nice boat.

I had a look over her about 25 years ago. She had a Ruggerini in her and she had a 4 bladed prop. My wife and I crawled around inside her and were impressed. I would have bought her if she had been epoxy but she was very well built.

I rang the owners to let them know we wouldn't be buying her and got told we were not in their good books. We had been poking around the engine room and I had undone the companionway step latch. Then one of the owners stepped inside and came undone when the steps moved. Not one of my better days.

A new diesel and good sails would make her a nice boat. Good that they got rid of the awful plastic wallpaper too.
catsketcher is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran