Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2022, 22:59   #1

Boat: 1980 Choate CF40
Where to meet single ladies also interested in the cruising lifestyle?

This might be the wrong forum, but for real, where does one go to meet women who are also interested in cruising?

I currently have a powerboat and will be selling it to buy a sailboat within the year. My plan is to do a full circumnavigation starting west coast of north america, south pacific, southeast asia, australia, the med, then africa and back over to the caribbean.

I really don't want to do the whole thing alone (I will though if it works out that way), and would like to find a partner who shares my dreams. Where does one find such people? Every person I talk to is highly impressed with my dream, and has ZERO interest in living on a boat.
Morgali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 23:22   #2

Re: Where to meet single ladies also interested in the cruising lifestyle?

There isn't a given place.

But the odds do increase slightly, in places where there is a large active sailing community.

Rule one of course, is Be Attractive.

I would suggest you start pursuing the dream solo first, and then Always Be Looking.

Social media self-promotion may help if that's your style.
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 23:47   #3

Boat: 1980 Choate CF40

Well damn, I've already blown rule 1. I guess I'll have to count on my wit and these here bottles of rum...
Morgali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 01:18   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgali View Post
This might be the wrong forum, but for real, where does one go to meet women who are also interested in cruising?

I currently have a powerboat and will be selling it to buy a sailboat within the year. My plan is to do a full circumnavigation starting west coast of north america, south pacific, southeast asia, australia, the med, then africa and back over to the caribbean.

I really don't want to do the whole thing alone (I will though if it works out that way), and would like to find a partner who shares my dreams. Where does one find such people? Every person I talk to is highly impressed with my dream, and has ZERO interest in living on a boat.

You don’t. You take your girlfriend with you if they are willing to go.

Trying to find ones already interested in cruising that are also interested in you and want to go on your boat is way too unlikely.

Note: don’t call it “living on a boat.” Call it traveling around the world on a boat. They probably want to see an end if it’s not their dream.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 01:32   #5

Quote:
Well damn, I've already blown rule 1. I guess I'll have to count on my wit and these here bottles of rum...
I think you missed the point. He wasn't proposing plastic surgery to improve your looks.

The average solo sailor tends to be scruffy and a let's call it "unconventional". Staying clean, well groomed....along with keeping the boat clean and nice smelling will at least give you a chance.

But it's a big leap for anyone to leave land and move onto a boat. If the sum total of their investment in a relationship with you is a single date, you have to both woo her and bring her around to the idea of moving onto a boat. This isn't like moving into an apartment together where if things turn sour, it's fairly straight forward to move out.

There's also a power struggle to work thru. At sea, someone needs to be in charge but Captain Bligh is not a good look for a new relationship.

In summary, it's difficult. Most cruising couples start together and it's not unusual for the lifestyle to break up couples.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 04:01   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

CF has a Forum, that might apply:
Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mateshttps://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...oul+mates.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 04:11   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Where to meet single ladies also interested in the cruising lifestyle?

Quote:

Just stop trying to sell the 'Dream' and be yourself..
The "I'm desperate" neon sign on your forehead is off putting and the sales pitch sounds like dick swinging.
Spoken from experience.. women are more likely to sail with you if they like You.. the boat and promo adventure spiel are way down the list.
How long they stay depends on seasickness and/or how loud you scream when docking, anchoring or picking up a mooring..

Oh.!!! and the first grandchild.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:22   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Try this

https://www.latitude38.com/crew-list-home/
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:03   #9

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

Sail in a catamaran,simples !
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:09   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFord View Post
Sail in a catamaran,simples !
Get a dog...even better.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 05-03-2022, 11:10   #11

1. Take some group keelboat lessons
2. Join a yacht club

Either (or both) of these will get you into a community of sailors, many of whom are single, widowed, divorced, etc. We've seen lots of friendships and more formed at our club.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:20   #12

Quote:
A plus one for having the confidence to openly ask about how to meet up with single ladies.

And a plus two for showing a degree of self-deprecating humor.

A sailboat will be an attractant, but the characteristics of the skipper will be the determinate factor.

Flying a gin flag as a social invitation to come aboard will be of assistance to those that are "in the know" and who are observant of such, or in your case perhaps a rum flag.

All the best.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:49   #13

Boat: Boatless

I was in a similar position 18 years ago. Since then we have sailed 45,000 miles, visited 30 countries and just spent 2 weeks skiing with our grandkids… all is possible but adventurous women are not easy to find.

No substitute for good looks and talent!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:58   #14
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
How long they stay depends on seasickness and/or how loud you scream when docking anchoring or picking up a mooring.

Old 05-03-2022, 12:08   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
and/or how loud you scream when docking, anchoring or picking up a mooring..

Yes...they love that assertiveness!

Tags
cruising, single