Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2022, 19:42   #31

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Where to meet single ladies also interested in the cruising lifestyle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
Asia!

Best wives ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
At least till the money runs out....

This assumes you are going with the old idea that you pop into the first bar off the plane and your new wife magically sits down and falls in love with you in 5 min.

This isn't to say you can't meet a really nice girl in Asia who will be a wonderful wife but there is nothing magical going on. It will still take time and effort.

Oh the stories I could tell
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 23:02   #32

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

It all has to happen organically so to speak, for most women folk it’s not gonna be on their agenda, it’s a spartan lifestyle compared to what they are brought up to expect, good luck, it’s a rare special women that likes the cruising life.
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 23:47   #33

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Oh the stories I could tell
As a fright attendant (fly on the wall) who regularly flew to a number of asian ports, I reckon I could match you.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 01:22   #34
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

While racing and day sailing around activities based in a yacht , you might run into a few single women ,mind you most will be young

Elsewhere, there are very few single women around boats. Most are in relationships so in my view it’s not a good scene for single men ( and theres too much competition ).

Sometimes you’ll have to choose between a partner and a boat. To me the boat doesn’t come close ,but I’m married 37 years to a women that likes boats !!!
Old 06-03-2022, 01:26   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
There's also a power struggle to work thru. At sea, someone needs to be in charge but Captain Bligh is not a good look for a new relationship.
On that's not fair, he was a very successful sailor joining as a young man and becoming a V Adm.

A book printed from the logs of Capt J Cook and his 3 trips to Australia was published in the late 1700s.

Someone took a copy of the book with them on a later voyage to the Far East and added pencil corrections in the margins. That person was a certain Lt W Bligh.

Today that book rests in the Royal Navy's Historical Branch, sadly not open to the public, but I have the opportunity to visit and see the pencil corrections.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 01:28   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
As a fright attendant (fly on the wall) who regularly flew to a number of asian ports, I reckon I could match you.
Sir, the floor is yours
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 01:40   #37

It may sound crass but if you really want to find a wiiling female cruising partner you have to look where the women are 1 more adventurous, 2 have less to lose and 3 don't have family commitments anymore. That narrows the search to economically poorer countries and women with grwon children or not wanting any children. Unless you're willing and able to welcome her aboard with children.

I will not list the countries or regions as there are too many and personal and relationship tastes differ. But I know of at least half a dozen couples where a woman fit the above factors and they stayed together long enough to do if not a circumnavigation at least a good chunk of it. Plus how successful are the non cruising relationships? So if yours will last as long as their average length consider yourself ahead of the game.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:06   #38
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

hahahahaha men have no clue as to what women want or seek. from a ladys point of view---
be decent always not just for her to be attracted to you. there are so many weirdos on the water for ye to compete with. in your mind...hahahaha
be decent..donot push. live well, not obsessing on how to catch a female.. donot be a pervert. do not be aggressive. do not be obsessive.. do not do the narcissist dance.. donot pontificate. do not act as if sex were something you never new or that you neeeeeeeed now.
be you. be free be alive and be real. live within your means.
once you are out and about you will understand and you will see who and what is out here. until then all you are doing is obsessing. make friends and enjoy your life and lifestyle.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:09   #39

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
hahahahaha men have no clue as to what women want or seek. from a ladys point of view---
be decent always not just for her to be attracted to you. there are so many weirdos on the water for ye to compete with. in your mind...hahahaha
be decent..donot push. live well, not obsessing on how to catch a female.. donot be a pervert. do not be aggressive. do not be obsessive.. do not do the narcissist dance.. donot pontificate. do not act as if sex were something you never new or that you neeeeeeeed now.
be you. be free be alive and be real. live within your means.
once you are out and about you will understand and you will see who and what is out here. until then all you are doing is obsessing. make friends and enjoy your life and lifestyle.
Best advice I have seen. Better than any of the armchair women (men) on here have given. Ha ha ha

This is the post to read.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:28   #40

in my opinion since you obviously are not a sailor, nor have a sailboat you might start by buying one, join a sailing club and meeting sailing type people and getting experience. Than you you might plan some shorter than circumnavigating trips and look for crew. See who shows up and hope for interested ladies. Like someone said above most sailing couples started out as couples that grew to like the boating life together. Alternative - mail order bride maybe
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:35   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

How long [cruising partners] stay depends on seasickness and/or how loud you scream when docking, anchoring or picking up a mooring.
Wise words.

I have two friends whose wives suffered from seasickness (or otherwise disliked sailing). Both couples have gotten larger boats, worked together on making it comfy, and have found some over-the counter British anti-seasickness medication that actually worked. So the wives are getting into it finally, and enjoying it.

My spouse and I have a low-stress relationship but even so, we agreed early on that I wasn't a suitable instructor. So she took CYA Basic Keelboat on her own, which gave her the basics and the confidence to tell me off when I get too bossy. We've sailed together for 15 years, including a bareboat charter, and we still look forward to getting out together.

Moral - your partner should be an equal when it comes to cruising/sailing.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:38   #42
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgali View Post
This might be the wrong forum, but for real, where does one go to meet women who are also interested in cruising?

I currently have a powerboat and will be selling it to buy a sailboat within the year. My plan is to do a full circumnavigation starting west coast of north america, south pacific, southeast asia, australia, the med, then africa and back over to the caribbean.

I really don't want to do the whole thing alone (I will though if it works out that way), and would like to find a partner who shares my dreams. Where does one find such people? Every person I talk to is highly impressed with my dream, and has ZERO interest in living on a boat.
There is someone for everyone. Be yourself, approachable, and concentrate on getting the right boat ready for the adventure. She will come along.

When searching for my boat I once went to Port Angeles, WA to see one advertised. It was an unusual Chris-Craft sailboat with a small compartment aft of the cockpit and owned by an electrical engineer originally from either Minnesota or Wisconsin (cant remember). He got divorced, bought the boat, rebuilt it (did a fantastic job on the electrical system), sailed solo through the Great Lakes, down the Atlantic to Panama, then across the Pacific to China. There he met a woman, fell in love, married, and then sailed back to US (Port Angeles).

Moral of the story is that "sometimes you have to sail halfway around the world to come full circle."

Good Luck.

PS: I didn't buy the boat but I fell in love with the electrical system. I wish I remembered his name.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:54   #43

Boat: Lazy Jack 32

Remember to be selective. A close friend thought he had found the perfect cruising mate. Six months later when she went to the ladies' room at a fuel dock, he saw his chance. He left cash behind for her with the cashier, cast off, and boogied alone and cheering up the waterway. It will be a long way between fuel docks where you're going, though.
(Not to be sexist about it, there must be females who have made the same mistake).
Lazy Jack 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 10:09   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Sir, the floor is yours

I'm wondering if anyone knows the term..."Pattaya Paratroopers"?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 06-03-2022, 10:16   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
It may sound crass but if you really want to find a wiiling female cruising partner you have to look where the women are 1 more adventurous, 2 have less to lose and 3 don't have family commitments anymore. That narrows the search to economically poorer countries and women with grwon children or not wanting any children. Unless you're willing and able to welcome her aboard with children.

I will not list the countries or regions as there are too many and personal and relationship tastes differ. But I know of at least half a dozen couples where a woman fit the above factors and they stayed together long enough to do if not a circumnavigation at least a good chunk of it. Plus how successful are the non cruising relationships? So if yours will last as long as their average length consider yourself ahead of the game.

If I were one of the "half a dozen couples" whose spouse is from "economically poorer countries", I would be concerned for my safety if I was sailing alone with them and had cut them into my will.

Tags
cruising, single