Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2015, 14:56   #1

Two families on one boat

I've read a lot of threads about solo sailors, couples, and families sailing together, but not seen any with multiple families on a boat - is this done?

I am planning some extended cruising (1 - 2 years) with my wife and two boys in 2 - 3 years time and my sister and brother in-law, with their boy, are keen to join us.

Would welcome any opinions.

Thanks,

Neil
terah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 16:01   #2

Boat: 2011 Meridian 391
Re: Two families on one boat

You're going to need a big boat. At least three staterooms, one big enough for three.
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 16:42   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Two words:
Cruise Suicide.

If they are into the Cruising dream, let them get their own boat and buddy boat with them, but it would insanity (in my view as a cruising family and 7yr live aboard with kids) to put together two families on a boat. But it would make for a good reality show.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 16:43   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Two words:
Cruise Suicide.

If they are into the Cruising dream, let them get their own boat and buddy boat with them, but it would insanity (in my view as a cruising family and 7yr live aboard with kids) to put together two families on a boat. But it would make for a good reality show.

Do a week long charter with them and see how that goes.
or better yet, have them move into your house NOW and see how that goes, see how they would handle taking directives from the Captain...aka....you the boat/house owner.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 21:55   #5
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Haha reality show/YouTube channel, sounds like a great idea. I can imagine the close up head shots in the head, in the dark with sis in law whispering, "Neil pisses me off so much, he's always leaving his crap laying around AND when we have hot water he's always the first one in the shower and there's none left for us AND ..... etc etc
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 22:12   #6
cruiser

You're traveling into uncharted territory. I can't think of a more effective way to suck all the fun out of cruising.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:42   #7

It's a fair way off and we're only starting to think about serious plans and budget - if we were to try it though I'd be looking for a 40ft+ cat.

Buddy boat was my first thought when this came up, but I doubt they would be ready experience wise, or even desire to run their own boat.

We've planned an adults week in the med together next year, followed by 2 weeks all of us together in UK. If all was well we would then spend 2 - 3 months in the Med before making a final call on whether to go further.

I can see some advantages of having extra adults around, but clearly some potential problems - hopefully a few cruises together will give us a better idea. For now I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Love the reality show idea!
terah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:54   #8

Well, buy a Catamaran and set up one side for one family and the other side for the other family. If it does not work out then cut the catamaran in half (separate the hulls) to become 2 monohulls and go in different directions. You will need to cut the mast in half so each of you has a short rig. And no tip toeing between cabins at night, unless you are all just swinging anyway. Do not carry weapons.

I lived aboard and sailed for 5 years with a wife, 3 kids, 2 cats, and the occasional guest and think you idea might work on something larger than say 100' but nothing less than than. However if you time-share the boat that could work.

Good luck, I look forward to reading about your experience in the Daily Mail or a reality TV show.
Pirate007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:59   #9

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

We cruised the Bahamas with the Admiral's 83 year old mother with us, for 6 months a couple of years back.

That's not nearly the same as two families, but the experience might have been instructive...

We got along famously. We each had our cabin, and, while we had to train her that if we were reading, it wasn't because we were bored, but wanted to read that book (she's loquacious), and a few other things, it all worked well.

We quickly settled into a pattern of her being able to do those sorts of things she really enjoyed (cleaning and cooking - the stainless got microscopic attention, and we grew slowly heavier!) while we tended to the more critical elements of cruising.

If you haven't spent a lot of time in a confined space with your prospective guests, that would be a good start; whether they are real sailor material is only marginally important (we couldn't expect much from our 83yo, for example); whether you'll get along is the bigger question. However, your toes-in-the-water approach should tell you whether it will work out. If your boat can accommodate the personnel comfortably, it might be a great partnership.

L8R

Skip
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:14   #10

We've gone on from two to four week cruises with my wife's family (mother, father & brother). We all got along quite well and had great times.

We also have spent single weeks at Xmas together and had miserable times.

A cruise for a few weeks is NOT an indicator of how a LIFESTYLE can be shared.

Your "trial trips" will not indicate, in any meaningful way, how the dynamics of two families will actually work. You said: "...but I doubt they would be ready experience wise, or even desire to run their own boat."

If YOU have to "run the boat" then they become passengers, a whole different dynamic.

Have you considered asking them to sell their house and move in with you for a year or two?

Unless you would, then this is a BAD idea.

Who would own the boat? Who would be the final arbiter of everything that came up?

If they're not compleat sailors, then you'll be "teaching as you go," which may not be what you signed up for.

If they are, then you'll have conflicts and they should get their own boat.

Unless you can afford the Queen Mary.

You really need to think this through. Completely.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:09   #11
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I remember hearing of a couple of guys that had a cat. They crossed the Atlantic together but after a short time they couldn't stand to even talk to each other. They took a hull each and passed notes to each other on the end of the boat hook to communicate watch details etc. fun!
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:38   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Cruising in the manner you are thinking of is a recipe for disaster and the beginning of a classic family feud. Might want to start the gun debate right now.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:16   #13

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

I cruised between Trinidad and Newfoundland for six years with multiple families with kids. We had four kids of our own. Even on that sailing ship, the 94' LOD, 135' LOA, the Unicorn of St Helier, it was a challenge.

Always great to see the guest come and always greater to see them go.

If after reading all these posts, you still feel as though this is a good direction for you, have a lawyer write up an iron clad boat partnership agreement for you, concentrating especially on the paragraphs relating to dissolution or what happens when one couple wants off. I guarantee one couple will want off sooner than later.

On second thought, just forget about this whole idea. Even a time sharing arrangement is rife with built-in trouble, such as destinations and maintenance issues.

Just have them over for a weekend where everyone stands in a cold shower stall together for 48-hours and see who comes out alive or just charter for two weeks and see how this idea feels at the end.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:38   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Looks like you plan on alienating friends and family. Two families under one roof isn't good, two in one hull sounds like real problems.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:00   #15

My mother's sister, a lovely person, and her daughter moved in with my family when her husband died.

Horrible, horrible, horrible.

And we were in a house, each one with their own bedroom, plenty of room.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote