Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 11:15   #16

You don't say where you're going;or for how long, so the following are just some generic thoughts from our travels in the Caribbean & Bahamas:

I don't bring anything white - poor quality water in many places will stain it grungy rust-color; and some kinds of sunscreen will also stain it orange.

I bring one conservative outfit - long pants & shirt with sleeves for meeting customs agents and the like; and one nice outfit for going out in the evening. Otherwise, t-shirts, hawaiian-style shirts, shorts etc that don't need special care or can be hand-washed in a minimum of water (think synthetics instead of cotton). One pair of tennies, one pair of watersport sandals with toe protection, one pair of pretty shoes, one pair of sea boots.

I keep my hair low-maintenance; so no blow-dryer etc (depending on the boat, it may not be able to support the power needs anyway) - just wash & wear, with leave-in conditioner with UV protection. Bring several pairs of cheap sunglasses; that way if the wind takes one, as it inevitably will, you won't mind so much. If you wear perscription, keep them on a safety strap or something.
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 14:57   #17

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Thanks for reminding me--yes sea boots.
Old 09-06-2010, 15:19   #18

Astrid, I just looked at your list (which pretty closely matches mine, it seems everyone gravitates to the same solution to the what to bring when you're crew problem) but ... how do you keep your whites white? As I mentioned water quality and sunscreen seem to cause problems. I do try to keep everything light or medium colored so I don't have to sort lights and darks in the laundromat.
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 15:31   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
What not to bring?

A restaurant in Alameda, CA once had upon one of its walls.....
"The three most worthless things on a boat are a wheelbarrow, a dairy cow and a naval officer.

I'm not sure but I think that quote is attributable to Spike Africa - The President of the Pacific Ocean.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 16:07   #20

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Quote:
how do you keep your whites white?
I wash the clothes in salt water using Joy dish detergent--wring them out, soak in fresh water and ammonia to get the salt out. Salt actually whitens your whites and prevents yellowing, while the Joy helps remove stains and dirt. Seems to work reasonably well for me when I don't have a decent laundromat around.
Old 09-06-2010, 16:42   #21

Boat: CT54
I am shocked how many crew we have had aboard that have a unbelievable amount of cloths, etc (both men and women). One of our crew actually had a yoga mat and a large bag filled with every vitamin known to man (that would be on my list of what not to bring for sure). She also had no less than 50 books that she brought (to be fair she was out for the entire season but still??) I remember one person that brought a suit (tie and all) on a 5 day trip to Catalina (again on my do not bring list).
Jackie
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 19:46   #22

How much do some of them bring on board, say compared to my list. My list was drawn up with an extended cruise in mind rather than a short hop
Old 09-06-2010, 20:07   #23
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
As a crew member on a Yacht, I had one drawer and had to share a hanging locker.

In addition to Khakis/work jeans/shorts.....I had a Blue Blazer/Grey slacks and dress shoes and ties.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:59   #24

Boat: Kolibri 12'
Thanks everyone!
Once I see how much room I'll actually have, or how little room i should say, I will have a better idea of what I still need to shop for.
I see a trip to the Columbia store in my future!
Julie Poch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:26   #25

Boat: Boatless
Since we are cruisers every possible space is filled with tools, parts and food so we have a simple rule for visitors ...

You can bring anything you want...the problem is you have to keep it in your bunk and sleep with it...all floor space must be clear and we have no spare locker space.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:43   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Poch View Post
Once I see how much room I'll actually have, or how little room i should say,
ooops! Forgot to mention! There is some ideal secret space on boats! I put dress trousers under the matteress. My fat ass smoothes out the wrinkles and it doesnt take cupboard space.
Only problem: I can never find my trousers

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 18:33   #27

Boat: 52' Endeavor sloop
Too many jeans! I made that mistake and it really made laundry and storage more of a hassle.
Dream In Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 23:17   #28

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36 (#111) - Vaya Con Dios
The most useful item to me is a sarong. It can be a towel, scarf, something to picnic on, can wet it and put it over you when it's really really hot for sleeping, can peg it up in a pinch for some shade, washes and dries very quick, use it as a skirt with a tank top, half it and it's a short skirt, shall when it's cool. I have 3 and use one of them every day for something.
I brought to many shoes, only need flip flops, and your feet get blisters if you haven't worn shoes for a while and try to. Lots of undies, and light tank tops are good for cruising in the tropics, staying in bathing suits usually made of nylon is not good for your body. In muslim countries, I always covered my legs, (with a sarong), wore a shirt that covered my shoulders and half my arms, and wore a hat and sunglasses. I got negative reaction when looking people in the eye so I'm glad I realised that.
vayacondios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 04:19   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
In addition to Khakis/work jeans/shorts.....I had a Blue Blazer/Grey slacks and dress shoes and ties.
Absolutely, one should dress when going ashore or visiting a local yacht club. The tie should be from your own yacht club

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 04:35   #30
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
The tie should be from your own yacht club

Pete
The more mold on the club tie the better. If I pay those ludicrous fees when I am 10,000 miles away I want some currency for it!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote