Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2011, 15:41   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
I'm assuming dogs and cats on a boat can't be taken ashore in foreign countries, so if that's the case clearing customs shouldn't be a problem. I am wondering how animals do spending all their time on a boat without ever getting to touch land?
bubba does great--he is afraid of land-- doesnt move right.... he is happy in our formosa-- he was a bit frightened of stuff on the seidelmann we sailed last year, but he is better here on this heavy boat....he knows this is home. he likes it. he has lawn grass to chew on when he needs it and everything a kat needs. especially his human. we leave here mar 1 for sailing his home-- he may not like it at first-- but critters dont mind staying where their human is-- their human is their family, and is their life. i tried sailing without my kat- he was so stressed i had to take him the next time i sailed-- he was a lot better with me than without me. i will never leave him anywhere again
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 16:10   #17

Boat: PAE, Mason, 44 - Music
Agree with Zeehag, I'm the pet, the black schnauzer is the purser and the salt n pepper one is the skipper. Two max... after that, your a crazy pet person.
ardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 16:13   #18

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
I think a goat is the best pet. Goats can't hide in the bilge or engine space.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 16:45   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper
I think a goat is the best pet. Goats can't hide in the bilge or engine space.
Yeah.....and they have purdy eyes
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 08:46   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
I'm assuming dogs and cats on a boat can't be taken ashore in foreign countries, so if that's the case clearing customs shouldn't be a problem. I am wondering how animals do spending all their time on a boat without ever getting to touch land?
I would not assume anything. Check with customs for that particular country long before you plan on arriving.

Large high energy dog breeds that need to get out and run probably do not belong on a boat, for their benefit.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 10:46   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Countries, and Hawaii, that are rabies free have very strict regulations covering foreign animals. That's very few areas covering the Pacific Islands mostly. Each country will have requirements for the types of immunization that they requre for a pet and should be no problem as long as you have the proof that you've complied. You will have to check with each country as regulations will certainly vary. After all, how could Paris Hilton travel around with her purse dog.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 22:50   #22

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
We have to house cats that have hardly ever gone outside, and when they have they're on a harness. One loves it outside, and the other can't wait to get back in the house. When we shove off I'm sure they will never get off the boat, but I'm thinking they can probably deal with that. I wouldn't take an animal along, but my wife "needs" them. Dealing with the litter, food, and hair bug me the most especially in close quarters, but if taking them is what I have to do to get the wife going, then that's what I'll have to do I guess. Marriage is full of trade offs, but so was the single life.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote