Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 01:34   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Camelot
Lifeline Without Life Vest ?

“I am taking my iPod with me to the pulpit”. “Ok, but don’t forget your life west”. “Oh no! Do I need to wear the vest? Nothing will happen”.
This is a never ending dialogue at our boat due to sailing around with our two teenagers. In a hot summer day, I can perfectly understand them. But when it is 15 metres between the cockpit and the pulpit it is quite important to focus on security. The important thing is that the kids stay connected to the boat if something should happen. I have plenty of life vests with integrated belts, but my question is as follows:
Have anyone seen “vests” to connect life lines without the floating material (permanent or inflatable). The Spinlock vests are quite heavy for the “small peoples”. In a warm and nice trade wind I would like the kids to be safe AND comfortable.
Fair winds,
Gunnar
Camelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:45   #2

Boat: Peterson 46
You can always harness up with short enough tether so you cannot go over.

Unfortunately teenagers expect you to lead by example.
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:30   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I have a Plastimo harness--just webbing, no inflatable life vest. It's definitely a lot more comfortable than the integrated vest/harness. Maybe the kids would be willing to compromise with one of those.

They make one with a leg strap, which I think would be the best choice, since it wouldn't slip up and off if the wearer's arms go straight up over his head in a spill.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2010, 05:21   #4

Boat: PETERSON 44
the plastimo hud suggests is great. I have a few of the inflatable vests with the integrated d ring and thats a nice easy fit alternative. getting the harness on can be a bit of a pain but more secure, my thinking with the inflatable is easy so it happens
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:03   #5

The best recourse would be a climbing harness. Check out REI or other stores that have harnesses. Very comfortable and one size fits all. Or do a google search on how to make a harness from about 25" webbing yourself. Takes about 2 minutes.
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:00   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dofthesea View Post
The best recourse would be a climbing harness. Check out REI or other stores that have harnesses. Very comfortable and one size fits all. Or do a google search on how to make a harness from about 25" webbing yourself. Takes about 2 minutes.
If you mean a chest harness, please show the suggestion.

If you mean a seat harness, that is a very dangerous idea, because the the way it will drag you through the water. Only chest harnesses are suitable. Seat harnesses are ONLY for mast climbing.

I don't believe crotch strap is needed if the harness fits properly, and the one in the illustration above is NOT fit properly. It should be high in the armpits and tighter (not so easy for girls). It is loose and fitted at break-ribs height. A crotch strap is also not going to build popularity. Crotch straps are required for small children (no shoulders).

A comfortable harness also has the advantage that you can put it on in the morning, on a hot day, and not be inclined to take it off every time you go below.

We use harnesses FAR more than we use vests, and the heat was a big part of it. But really, unless you are racing in a fleet, staying on-board is a FAR better focus than floating.

Yes, I lead by example, and that is key.

Sail Delmarva: Climbing Gear for Sailors; or Jacklines and Harnesses for the Unemployed
Old 04-12-2010, 09:05   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
They are available, mostly for commercial adult use, and very expensive.

ie ➥ Rescue Vests - Commercial Lifejackets - SOLAS, DOT, CE ISO and MCA - Products - Marine Warehouse Ltd

Note the "D" ring, for lanyard attachment, near the bottom buckle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hybrid-rib-lifejacket-vest.jpg.gif
Views:	703
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	21689  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:26   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
alternative approach

I've recently switched to an Astral V-eight for my own use. It's super light and it's vented. I use it sea kayaking in southern Baja where I have to be in a vest for 6-8 hours a day. in the hot. A lot easier putting one of those on than a harness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	42103_front_O_051408_400x400.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	21690  
Old 04-12-2010, 09:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
They are available, mostly for commercial adult use, and very expensive.

ie ➥ Rescue Vests - Commercial Lifejackets - SOLAS, DOT, CE ISO and MCA - Products - Marine Warehouse Ltd

Note the "D" ring, for lanyard attachment, near the bottom buckle.

Thread drift!

I think the OP was looking for economical non-heavy weather solutions. Just something to keep kids around in the summer.

For little kids. We used one of these from ~ 4-12. When she was younger I had hand-sewn a copy.
Flotation Safety - Cal-June Child Safety Harness

I have used this one and it is find for all but serious off-shore work. It is very light and VERY easy to put on. One motion, on clip.
Flotation Safety - Cal-June Jim-Buoy Economy Crew Safety Harness

For actually use, since we use them yearly every trip, we have a custom fit harness for each person. When we have to wear more clothes, we all trade up one size. This is fast and convenient.

We keep jacklines up 365.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:30   #10

Thin water I meant a chest harness.
Option one
Rock Climbing Tech Tips: Improvising A Chest Harness

Option two for kids adjustable OUISTITI | Petzl

Option three
for adults. VOLTIGE | Petzl
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:40   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dofthesea View Post
Thin water I meant a chest harness.
Option one
Rock Climbing Tech Tips: Improvising A Chest Harness

Option two for kids adjustable OUISTITI | Petzl

Option three
for adults. VOLTIGE | Petzl
I thought so. But I had to say it, because seat harnesses have been suggested many times.

Still, the chest harnesses you've selected are unsuitable. Look at the way the straps cross in the back, rather than using a single wide horizontal belt; they are meant to be used ONLY in combination with a seat harness for holding a climbers weight in towards a rope and not to hang from. They are not safe for any other purpose. If you hang from one, it goes slack and comes off over the shoulders. Sorry, but this is not a healthy choice. I have climbed thousands of days over 30 years, have used all sorts of harnesses, and I recognize that some gear is single-purpose.

A chest harness for sailing can be very cheap to make. A simple band of seat belt or 20" climbing webbing around the chest, high under the arms, with 2 rings in the front will do. Add shoulder straps, only to keep it at the right height, and you have a custom fit harness for peanuts. I've even tied harnesses of this sort from rope, when a crewman didn't have one. It is all about the fit. But I would NEVER cross the straps in the back, as climbers do (I have used that style climbing).

The kids climbing harness would certainly work. I used a very similar one with my daughter, rock climbing and ice climbing, until she grew. Perhaps it is overkill, not very comfortable, and prone to rejection by the kids.

I should add, I suppose, that I used to run a small company making climbing hardware and webbing gear.

Tags
lifevest, lifelines