Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15-01-2016, 23:17   #1

Question Kitty+Wasp Spray+Firecrackers = Perfect Security System? [Kinda Long]

Hi everyone!

Been a really long time since I've posted, but I just had to talk about some interesting things I've learned lately.

The other day I became curious (again) about which animals make the best cruising pets for circumnavigating or long trips. After watching several entertaining videos on youtube about cats I read somewhere that Manx cats are territorial and that Siamese cats have been used as guards by monks in Nepal and to help protect the king in ancient Siam.

This blew my mind a little because I've certainly heard about guard dogs but never guard cats. I know that cats can be very protective (A few video examples below, 2nd one is graphic) but I wonder if they would really be like that on a boat with thieves or uninvited guests.

As for the second part of the title; Instead of Mace or Pepper Spray, I've heard where people have used wasp or bug spray as an effective deterrent. Aerosol bug spray can be shot up to 20 feet but isn't something that would ever be confiscated in international waters.

I'm not sure about the firecrackers bit, but I thought it might be a good idea to get really loud ones, (Like in the video below) since stun grenades are harder to come by...

I know that there have been a lot of security related posts before and that bright lights and flares are great deterrents, I've just never really thought of a cat as being a good addition for so many reasons: They love to take care of flying fish, mice and other critters that end up onboard, they are pretty easy to take care of compared to larger animals, they actually help owners live longer (Google it ) and they might even be really good guards if you get the right type.

Anyone have a guard cat, used wasp spray to effectively deter unwelcome guests or used firecrackers in this manner? Ever heard of someone else using these things as such?

-PK
PlumKrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
security