Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 23:43   #301

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: A Woman's Needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
gotta admit clean facilities make me melt ; -)
And Sara... you were the classy exception back then and you've still got it now

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 09:17   #302

Boat: many, in my DREAMS

Hard to find, but Christian Dior's "Diorella" perfume hides a multitude of sins. No daily shower needed here. Also, ditch the makeup, save the sunscreen.
LauraReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 17:16   #303
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ho', or navy, bath is less stinky for those who have perfume allergies and cannot tolerate fragrances....even cleans parts that should be cleansed daily.....in less time than takes to find the skunkwaterjuice....as my grandfather used to call it--LOL
sorry-- i know many sailors and ladies of the sea who arent able to tolerate fragrances.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 20:35   #304

Boat: 74 Westsail 32'
Talking Re: A Woman's Needs

I'm just speaking for myself. I haven't been cruising extensively before but I have taken many long camping trips and enjoy it very much.

We aren't putting any AC power on our boat so hair dryers and curling irons are out (I have long hair and will probably put a screen on the drain to catch the hair)

No A/c or hot water but, that's cool too, there will be Sun showers. A shower everyday or so would be nice. Baby wipes and baby powder would be a must. A place/way to shave would be important on deck in the cockpit near drains would be ok.

Toilet paper would be important, I don't mind carrying out bags of of it when needed.

We are younger than most and can experience some inconvenience to make our dream happen.

One of the MOST important things for me will be organization, I don't deal with messes very well, I like to have everything ship shape when I can (excluding long passages). Having enough space to store things properly would be important.

I will definitely be looking forward to hot showers when we get the chance.

And remember, compliments on how nice she looks (even if its been a rough few days) means the world..especially when she doesnt have the resources to "look her best".

hope this helps.

https://sundownersailsagain.com
Danibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 16:22   #305

brush the mane in the cockpit-- even with my long hair, i dont have any hairs in sink or shower, as i dont wash mine htere--i use cockpit when i can---is nice....shave on deck also-- not upwind from helmsman, however.....
Old 14-07-2011, 18:09   #306

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"

In Re: the daily scrub...keep a couple packs of baby wipes around for the in between times, and when water is low..get the aloe vera ones, doubles as first aid for cooling sun, and other mild burns...soldiers in the field swear by them...
Old 14-07-2011, 18:40   #307

baby wipes dont keep mosquitos and stickiness and flies and no see-ums away in high temp and high humidity situations. had to break down and use real water. bugs ar attracted to your sweat and carbon dioxide .
Old 08-12-2011, 00:12   #308

I don't know if you're still looking for ideas Greg, but FWIW:

- Fresh water is nice for washing one's hair but not essential. I'd prefer to have it on hand for drinking. My advice? She could just put her hair up in a bun or tie it with a bandana for 7-10 days w/out washing it. It's no hardship. I kept 2 litres aside just in case but didn't need to use it.

- No shower? That's what the sea and buckets are for.

- Two BIG luxuries for me were ladies shaving cream from a can (mm, smells great) and a couple of small bottles of Evian water spray.

- A few bars of goat's milk soap (or any other soap high in moisturiser).

- Lots of paper hand towels (I used them for everything from cleaning the stove to wiping my face - not in that order).

- Baby Wipes, tea tree oil or eucalyptus oil, roll on insect repellant, spare sorbolene moisturiser, spare sunscreen, spare lip salve, spare sunglasses & peeper keepers, spare sea sick tabs, spare sailing gloves.

- A medium sized waterproof Pelikan case for her jewellery, precious goodies, contraception, medication & tampons if you're going for a few months.

- Does she have allergies? Make sure you have on board things to counteract the unexpected (Epipens, medication etc).

- It might sound silly, but a little soft blanket that she can either put on top of her pillow to rest her heard or even to sit on on deck. Sometimes it can be harsh sailing day in day out without seeing another soul & in the scorching sun, it can be comforting to have something small and soft to call your own. You can find those blankies in baby shops. And no, it doesn't have to be pink! Go for light blue.

Good luck It's nice that you're keeping an ear out for what a gal might appreciate.
Old 08-12-2011, 00:16   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danibug View Post
We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Fantastic quote! I'd nearly forgotten it, good choice.

"You drive. You drive. I think there's something wrong with me."
Old 08-12-2011, 03:33   #310
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena

Fantastic quote! I'd nearly forgotten it, good choice.

"You drive. You drive. I think there's something wrong with me."
Thanks for reviving this thread. What a read!

Here is what I would like on a boat.

The Boat - Assurance and confidence I am on a safe and well found boat. Going to sea is a bit scary
A voice - I'd like to share in the decisions of the boat. Like where it goes and how it works and what gadget I might save up for and add on next. If I don't know how something works and she does I'd like her to explain it to me on equal terms and teach me, not lecture me. And I don't want her to assume I don't know what she is talking about. I'd like to drive half the time pulling sheets is half the fun! And I am pretty sure the more I drive the better I get at it.
Duties - I am not the mechanic and fixer of all things. I'd like her to learn some maintenance stuff. Electics aren't that hard or maybe head maintenance or oil changes. I'll teach her. In exchange for her doing crapper maintenance I have no issues cooking and cleaning and doing laundry. As long as we keep communicating and both of us feel we are sharing the work. I like a happy boat.
The Head - A comfortable and clean place to take my daily dump. I don't mind pumping a handle so it need not be electric. And I use as much paper as I need. I dont need anyone nagging me about that. My plumbing is different than a girls plumbing - thank God!
Watermaker - I like a daily shower in fresh water usually in the evening so I am fresh in bed. I hate sleeping sticky. I like to shave, never liked wearing the bearded salty sailor look, and have no problem with a FPC (face, pits, crotch) sponge bath in the morning - if the day goes right I'll be swimming soon anyway. I am not opposed to skipping a day especially if passage making. Make me 20-30 liters a day and let's move on to other issues.
Storage - I'd like a place to store my gear. I realize that space is limited so I will be creative with wardrobe and shoes to give various looks and minimize what I bring along. I'd like to dress up for my significant other, especially if we go to a beach party so I need a couple sets of "go to town" clothes.
Personal Care - I have some personal body care items that make me presentable - especially if we get invited to a beach party. Beard trimmer, nose hair trrimmer and of course a dop kit with all the toiletries I like, shampoo, after shave, nail clippers etc. I'd like my own space to store this stuff
Stores - I like milk, meat and the occasional chocolate sweet. Cool drinks and some ice are heavenly so a freezer/reefer would be awesome!
Communication - I'd like to be able to easily keep up with friends and family. I realize we will be on the hook in fantastic places at times and out of touch but I wanna skype, upload pictures, facebook and email when we are in marina range and I don't wanna have to be a rocket scientist to make it work.
Entertainment - I'd like to snuggle up with my SO and watch a movie once in a while. I am not an idiot, I can run laptop movies when not in port or stream movies when we have a connection. I'd like to play them on a nice 30 inch lcd but not mandatory. Tunes and speakers are vital. Oh and I shouldn't have to be a computer programmer to watch a movie. Divx, drivers and all that stuff is Greek to me. I love books. EBooks are cool but some things just work better on paper. Need a bookshelf to call my own
Partner - I like my partner to be clean and fresh and when she dresses up for a party I love it when the Salty Dogs stuck in the 60's gape and wonder how in the hell I got so lucky. I am a "western" guy and don't like stinky, hairy, "boat" women. I sat next to one on a shuttle and that gal, while pleasant could gag a maggot. My SO is a natural beauty and when she puts the "warpaint" on its just another level. The good news is her warpaint takes up two boxes the size of a spare inverter. Hair, nails, face - the whole drama. Its a fair trtade of space. In regards to nails, Anjou is right. Nothing precludes her doing her nails. She keeps them a bit shorter than she likes because nothing hurts like breaking a nail off at the root while sheeting. Long hair? Love it! She does too. Nothing I can think of precludes it.

There are probably a couple things I have left out. All of the above is a personal thing. Basically, I personally don't want to grow my beard long, smell like an animal and live like a homeless person.

I shared this list with my SO. She wanted everything on the list too - except maybe the last item. She never reacts well when I cross dress. - especially in stinky, hairy "boat woman" mode. If we want the same things on the list he only conclusion I can reach is that I am a woman. And more astonishing to me is that I am a lesbian!

Emotional needs -

So the fly in the ointment is that my SO is the most complex system on the boat. But then again so am I. I hope I have a lifetime to study and improve my interactions with this system. I know I will never master it in any sense of the word.

Oh and to the neanderthals. If you think finding the perfect partner is about finding the unspoiled country where "women" are domesticated, think again. One post said something like, "a country where a woman will appciate being rescued into a liveaboard lifestyle..." That just translates to, "currently lives as a despereate homeless person and would appreciate the upgrade to slightly less desparate, slighlty less homeless person." Trust me. Find her, bring her aboard. Don't expect it to last.

As far as finding the flower in the crabgrass comment in regards to American women? The better hunting grounds are not delineated by country. They are delineated by proximity to boating. Hang out a lot where boaters hang out. At least you will find women that share a boating interest.

Verbosely yours (as always)
Dan
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:15   #311

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

I love a guy who dreams big with small resources. Although getting a woman to fit his list of permissible attributes is more akin to finding a earth-like planet in this cosmos.
Here are the listed sizes of a "Maxi-77" which is definitely a boat that solidly qualifies as a "minimalist budget" cruiser - another thread, another time.

Maxi 77 - specifications
Length: 7,70m - 25.3 ft
Length in waterline: 6,75m - 22 ft
Beam: 2,50m = 8.2 ft
Draft: 1,45m = 4.7 ft
Displacement: 2000 kg = 4400 lb.
Keel weight: 900 kg = 1980 lb.
Keel-percentage: 45

Mainsail: 10 m2
Jib: 15 m2
Genoa: 24 m2
Spinnaker: 50 m2

Inboard motor: 7,5 hk diesel
Cockpit: 2,00 x 1,84 m = 6.6 x 6 ft
Cabin: 1,85 x 2,00m = 6 x 6.6 ft
Cabin height: 1,77m = 5.8 ft
Berth in salon: 225/178 x 68 cm = 89/70 x 27 inches
Berth in forepeak: 190cm = 75 inches
Extra berth in salon: 190 x 68 cm = 75 x 27 inches

Number of boats produced: 3900
Designer: Pelle Petterson, Sverige

I suppose that small a boat has a (1) head - but like the boat it would be critically small - and a shower would be "on-deck/cockpit" or sitting on the toilet holding a handheld water sprayer.

Watermaker - where could it be possible put and running it would take considerable power which is most probably not available from the little 7.5 horsepower diesel. Not to mention the current price tag of a new unit probably exceeds the value of the boat. At the listed attribute of 8 gallons of water a day she could use, that is 56 gallons/week or 245 gallons per month - that is going to be a definite storage challenge on a Maxi-77 or at least a trip to shore everyday for her two jerry cans of water.

Storage, personal cares and stores most probably are at minimal for just one person on board - for a guy and gal - ????? Cosmetics on a sailing boat - that is normally a rule #1 forbidden situation if it involves any form of water down the plumbing. It is normally almost totally animal fat with some color and perfume added. Wouldn't take very long to clog the little hoses and pipes in the waste water system.

A 30 inch LCD TV/Monitor would take up near half of the length of the cabin interior. Oh, and snuggling up - two folks on a 27 inch wide berth - now that's togetherness.

All of this boils down to finding a woman with good boat sense like "Serena" - and if not successful, doing the best thing - getting a woman from a "frontier" society in a country where the women are not already thoroughly indoctrinated in vanity and consumerism's - e.g., major western society countries. There is nothing "flower in crabgrass" about it, sensible, organically orientated, practical women are not to be found in more than "needle in a haystack" supply except in more sensible, places beyond the borders of major western countries.

Bottom line, dreaming big on a minimalist suitable boat is fine, but finding a woman with the parameters listed would first require a boat twice the size and multiple times the "minimalist budget" cruiser's. But you can always dream . . .

Here is a neat YouTube of the Maxi-77 in moderate sailing conditions - notice the white knuckles grip the young lady has on the companionway.
Maxi 77 sailing ijsselmeer - rough weather - YouTube
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:30   #312
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A Woman's Needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Maxi 77 - specifications
Length: 7,70m - 25.3 ft
Length in waterline: 6,75m - 22 ft
Beam: 2,50m = 8.2 ft
Draft: 1,45m = 4.7 ft
Displacement: 2000 kg = 4400 lb.
Keel weight: 900 kg = 1980 lb.
Keel-percentage: 45

Mainsail: 10 m2
Jib: 15 m2
Genoa: 24 m2
Spinnaker: 50 m2

Inboard motor: 7,5 hk diesel
Cockpit: 2,00 x 1,84 m = 6.6 x 6 ft
Cabin: 1,85 x 2,00m = 6 x 6.6 ft
Cabin height: 1,77m = 5.8 ft
Berth in salon: 225/178 x 68 cm = 89/70 x 27 inches
Berth in forepeak: 190cm = 75 inches
Extra berth in salon: 190 x 68 cm = 75 x 27 inches

Number of boats produced: 3900
Designer: Pelle Petterson, Sverige
Sigh..... must be nice having a 'Big Boat'... one can stretch in this one...
I keep banging my elbows...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
While the 'useful idiots' of the West pay to dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:41   #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I am a "western" guy and don't like stinky, hairy, "boat" women.

Basically, I personally don't want to grow my beard long, smell like an animal and live like a homeless person.

Oh and to the neanderthals. If you think finding the perfect partner is about finding the unspoiled country where "women" are domesticated, think again. One post said something like, "a country where a woman will appciate being rescued into a liveaboard lifestyle..." That just translates to, "currently lives as a despereate homeless person and would appreciate the upgrade to slightly less desparate, slighlty less homeless person." Trust me. Find her, bring her aboard. Don't expect it to last.

As far as finding the flower in the crabgrass comment in regards to American women? The better hunting grounds are not delineated by country. They are delineated by proximity to boating. Hang out a lot where boaters hang out. At least you will find women that share a boating interest.
Ahh, fabulous post, verbose Dan ~

1. Stinky, hairy boat women...They exist? I have been on the wrong end of the stick all this time, not knowing what I could get away with? Drats.

2a. Beards, correct. Ohh, noh noh to the growing of them until one resembles Robinson Crusoe or someone who cannot count to 3 in rocks. Beards are scratchy to the SO, alienating to strangers, and they sometimes catch food which is .... well.

2b. For man folk out there reading this who are tempted to beard-up, please do not, under any circumstances add an earring to the grown beard scenario. I don't care how many sailors' tales attribute good fortune to the earring thing, it does not bode well with many a sailin' gal.

3. Allegedly domesticated women who sail. Who is this as yet undiscovered species? Are they in the same gene pool as allegedly domesticated men who sail? Wow, imagine that!

4. What is crabgrass? If it is related to catfish, I'll pass.

The most beneficial that 2 people of the opposite sex can do on a boat, esp on a long sail and *particularly* in a liveaboard situation is communicate, communicate, communicate.

Don't assume either one of you is right all the time. Accept that you both have faults. Negotiate, compromise and don't arm wrestle over who will take the wheel b/c the man will always win

Good luck out there
S
Old 08-12-2011, 07:01   #314
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
Don't assume either one of you is right all the time. Accept that you both have faults.
Nicely put

and that you love 'em because of those faults, not in spite of them - because it's part of what makes them "them".
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:08   #315
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
....... and don't arm wrestle over who will take the wheel b/c the man will always win

Good luck out there
S
Hahaha....well leaving aside all the rest of the comments and concepts in this thread, I am happy to report that I WILL loose any wrestling over the wheel / tiller, always, intentionally always.

Man or woman, if they can steer a reasonable course, they can have the helm as long as they can stand and I will pass up hot or cold food / drinks as often as they desire.

Navigation on the other hand ........
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote