Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What's your favorite drop?
Bourbon 8 25.81%
Single malt 10 32.26%
Blend 1 3.23%
wait, mine's not on here!! 12 38.71%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2021, 07:45   #76

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Re: What's your drop of choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrydolphin View Post
Wow, I thought that this was a sailing/ cruising forum? No.
Are you a CRUISER or a BOOZER?

Don’t think that this is the place for this discussion.
You could be right.... Hmm, let's check the name of the forum where this thread was started....

"
Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Provisioning: Food & Drink
"

Hmmm...
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 07:54   #77

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Given my genetic heritage, I'm also partial to Irish whiskeys. Tullamore Dew, Connemara, Bushmills (Black Bush) and of course Jameson.

One of the first 'sailboats' I ever sailed was "The Good Ship Jameson." This was on a long canoe trip to James Bay. We made a catamaran out of the two canoes and christened our new vessel with the remains of the bottle.

Good times...
Hey! you look just like this guy i saw up-atop Smuggler's Notch! years ago!
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 08:42   #78

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I think we've just been nattered at:

Merry, this is the perfect place for this discussion. The wonderful thing about forums are that you don't have to read, let alone participate in, threads that you have no interest in.
This is probably the best advice offered, so far. May I suggest the advice be heeded?
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 08:58   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrydolphin View Post
Wow, I thought that this was a sailing/ cruising forum? No.
Are you a CRUISER or a BOOZER?

Don’t think that this is the place for this discussion.
Seriously??! Have you met cruisers? And since it’s in the “Provisioning: Food & Drink” folder, I think we’re satisfactorily within bounds here.

And full respect to non drinkers. Just skip this thread.

Cheers!
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 11:16   #80
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Moody 41

I was a big fan of Lagavulin and Laphroaig for some years. Then I took a trip to Islay for a week and ended up a Bunnahabhain convert. Such a lovely place to watch time tick over and have a few drams. The cask strength versions of any of these peaty mammoths require a little water to get them open. Always a fun time on a cold evening.
dnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 11:27   #81

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Snowed-in North American here.

Enough CF posts mention whiskey that I'm curious, as a bourbon snob always willing to try something new.

So tell me: What's your go to on-board whiskey? (Which you only drink at anchor or on the dock, of course.)

Mine: Elijah Craig Barrel Proof bourbon

As this is a multinational platform, I've added my non-North American top choice, Cao Ila 18.
I'm with you DMF Sailor. I grew up in Southern Ohio, a short drive from the blessed bourbon homeland. I always stock 1792 as a relatively cheap everyday bourbon. I also have some single-barrel four roses that I really like. I don't honestly understand why anyone would drink rye or tennessee whisky when bourbon exists, but I do admit scotch deserves a spot in my liqour locker. I'm not well versed in scotch, though, and don't have a standard I consistently buy. Reading this thread has given me some new ones to try though
Old 26-02-2021, 16:04   #82

Boat: Adams 13, 13.5m

Cheapest malt blend, and because of flavour, not cost!
barryglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 16:14   #83

As a barman when I was young, then later a bar manager, and even later a barman/deckie on a cruise boat I was exposed to a lot of excellent whiskies. My favourites though on board were Cutty Sark or Teachers when it was available. Cheap enopugh to buy in bulk and raw enough for partying guests at the dinghy muster ashore.

For relaxing in the cockpit on a clear starry night though, I'd take a nice aged Aussie Port over a whisky any time :-)
rossdv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 17:45   #84

Send a message via Skype™ to leont

Jameson -3 yrs old
Angel's Envy
Penelope
leont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 18:26   #85

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

That's what I love about CF. Bunch of skippers from all over the world, having a blether over a dram.

Inspired by this thread, I made me a little purchase. A cask-strength, single-malt WhiskY from Islay, and with it, a square foot of peat bog!

Thank you to everyone who has posted so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1629.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	233444  
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
Old 26-02-2021, 20:09   #86

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Is that in the back a telecaster?
Old 26-02-2021, 20:44   #87

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
That's what I love about CF. Bunch of skippers from all over the world, having a blether over a dram.

Inspired by this thread, I made me a little purchase. A cask-strength, single-malt WhiskY from Islay, and with it, a square foot of peat bog!

Thank you to everyone who has posted so far.
Its a meaty number for sure
With hints of dead grandmothers and dinosaurs.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 21:26   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Its a meaty number for sure
With hints of dead grandmothers and dinosaurs.
errrrrhhhhggggg

I drink a lot of cask strength bourbons. ABV doesn't get to me.

This one, I thought I'd slain a dragon and was drinking the charred remains. Or maybe a dragon charred a peat bog, and served me the result...and then charred me.

Add a splash of H2O, and it's a different story. Some of that meat downshifts to peat.

A brave pour. My tongue will be in traction for a week.
Old 27-02-2021, 09:11   #89

Boat: Beneteau, OC461

Currently on board (and on the hard) I have Jefferson's Ocean Voyage #7 and my go to single malt Balvenie Caribbean Cask. Wife won't come near me after a touch of anything peaty (Lagavulin and Laphroaig collecting dust in the basement).

Can't wait to be sitting in the cockpit at sunset with whisky in hand. Some nights I prefer Bourbon, other nights its Single Malt.

Despite having a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle at home, the one bottle I treasure and nurse is the original Midleton Barry Crockett Legacy Whiskey.

As a side note, been reading Cruiser's Forum for many years and this is the first thread to inspire me to contribute. Kudos!!
altvetdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 09:59   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossdv8 View Post
For relaxing in the cockpit on a clear starry night though, I'd take a nice aged Aussie Port over a whisky any time :-)
Aussie Port? Do you have recommendations? Not sure we can get it here but I will look.

Funny story. Wife might kill me for this though....

Back in the 80's, my parents spent a summer in Porto, Portugal. They were telling me how much they loved the place, the seafood, and the Port.

Back here in the US, I went to the local grocery store, , and bought a bottle of "port." It was not really good but I could taste that this should be good. I doubled the price of my next purchase to about $10 and there was huge improvement in taste.

Unfortunately, the more money I spent per bottle, the better the Port tasted. Finally settled on buying $15-25 bottle, which back then was a bunch of money compared to today.

For birthdays, Fathers Day and Christmas, I started buying vintage bottles of Port for my dad. I would spend $35 to $50 so he was getting some really good Port. Over the years, we drank a bottle here and there, but for the most part, he just kept the Port.

A few years ago, when my parents visited for Christmas, my dad gave me the remaining bottles of Port I had bought 30 years ago.

We looked up the value/cost of one of the bottles and it was worth $350-400! We wanted to drink it but we also were thinking of selling.

We decided to drink, not sell, so we decanted the bottle, got out our good Port glasses, and settled in to enjoy. We figured each glass contained about $50 of Port. :eek" My wife can be a bit of a klutz, and I laughing told her, that if she spilled a glass containing $50 of Port, she was going to have to use a straw to drink it up.

She sat the glass of Port down on the end table next to the couch, and before one could say, "oops!", she had knocked over the glass and spilled the Port! She picked up the glass real quick, which saved some Port, and then ran to the kitchen for a straw.

The Port was EXCELLENT. If she had not run for a straw, I would have!

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote