Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2022, 18:09   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1
What to cook in the oven?

I use the stovetop burners often when on the boat. After three years I have yet to use the oven.

OK, what are some simple oven recipes? Please skip the “I bake bread daily” as I’m not going to do that.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 18:21   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: What to cook in the oven?

At the house, certain things like pork chops and some kinds of fish can be cooked very nicely in the oven. No oven on the boat for us, unfortunately.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 18:32   #3

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
I use the stovetop burners often when on the boat. After three years I have yet to use the oven.

OK, what are some simple oven recipes? Please skip the “I bake bread daily” as I’m not going to do that.
Start by warming up an already made/frozen lasagna. Then, once you know your oven, bake your own. After that let out the Chef in you.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 18:34   #4

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Roasts - chicken beef pork or in the piccy lamb - including spuds and veg, fish pies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F1000003.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	441.1 KB
ID:	258099  
Old 20-05-2022, 18:39   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

How do you use an oven on land? That's your answer for how to use your oven on board.

We use the oven like we do as if on land. We bake chickens, fish, pork, pasta dishes, casseroles. We make pizzas, and other 'melts.' We roast veggies, potatoes squash, etc. We back cookies, granola-type snacks, kale chips, and a host of other snacks.

But seriously... bread is very easy. It's one of the easier things to make, and it's actually pretty hard to completely screw up. Give it a try. You'll be pleasantly surprised. I usually bake bread weekly. Even in my small oven, I can do three smaller loafs.
Old 20-05-2022, 18:59   #6

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

https://www.pillsbury.com/products/b...-butter-tastin

https://www.pillsbury.com/products/c...lls-with-icing

https://www.amazon.com/NESTLE-HOUSE-...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I'm quite the chef!
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 19:02   #7

Boat: Tartan 3800
Cool Re: What to cook in the oven?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post

Common topic on boat and RV forums. I have made the oven an integral part of my cooking for decades... Here is my advice for starting out:

Anything you cook in a pan on the stovetop on low/medium heat that has to be "babysat" can be cooked in the oven. Fried potatoes, fried chicken and other meats, sauces like gravy and (with care) custards.

Pizza is a classic dish best cooked in the oven, as are scalloped potatoes, desserts like cakes and pies. Cornbread. Biscuits. Roasts, whether beef or chicken. Roasted vegetables, asparagas, sweet potatoes. Baked potatoes. Some kinds of fish bake well though we usually fry them.

I would say that beef rib roast, whether a standing rib roast or a (boneless) rolled rib roast, are probably my favorite things that can be cooked in the oven, and are not especially difficult. Use a meat thermometer.

We roast whole chickens from time to time by cutting down the back and flattening the meat in a pan with olive oil, garlic, and rosemary. There are many recipes out there that have details.

We don't bake bread daily but we do bake bread from time to time, mainly using a bread machine to make the dough and then putting it in a proper pan in the oven.

Becker and Rombauer's "Joy of Cooking" has recipes for all this stuff, you should get a copy if you don't have one.

Enjoy the journey
Old 20-05-2022, 19:17   #8

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
We roast whole chickens from time to time by cutting down the back and flattening the meat in a pan with olive oil, garlic, and rosemary. There are many recipes out there that have details.
Known in some quarters as 'butterflying' it and you can buy it that way.

In other parts know as 'road kill'.
Old 20-05-2022, 19:31   #9

Boat: Looking to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
How do you use an oven on land? That's your answer for how to use your oven on board.

We use the oven like we do as if on land. We bake chickens, fish, pork, pasta dishes, casseroles. We make pizzas, and other 'melts.' We roast veggies, potatoes squash, etc. We back cookies, granola-type snacks, kale chips, and a host of other snacks.

But seriously... bread is very easy. It's one of the easier things to make, and it's actually pretty hard to completely screw up. Give it a try. You'll be pleasantly surprised. I usually bake bread weekly. Even in my small oven, I can do three smaller loafs.
I don't yet have my boat, but I do agree with Mike's post 100%, an oven is an oven, I would not recommend to do Rouladen very often, since it might kill your propane tank.

https://www.daringgourmet.com/rouladen-recipe/

P.S. I use mushrooms instead of pickles and use Dijon mustard, my Mom's recipe.
Drek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 19:32   #10

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Seems to me the oven would use up more propane/energy.We use a toaster oven on board or convection microwave. Much faster faster.Thoughts?
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 19:42   #11

Boat: Looking to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsend View Post
Seems to me the oven would use up more propane/energy.We use a toaster oven on board or convection microwave. Much faster faster.Thoughts?
Even in my house I use a toaster oven or convection oven more often.
It all depend on the meal and it's size.
Drek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 20:50   #12

Boat: Volkscruiser

Dr D, we often cook a frozen pie or pizza in our oven. The supermarket also has pre-made lasagnes, quiches etc. The usual routine for us depending on time of day 90 minutes before anchoring I will put a lasagne etc in the oven. By the time the anchor is down, dinner is cooked and I just need to make a salad.
I met a single hander who leaves port with a freezer full of frozen pies and a bag of potatoes. He was saying that his usual meal was a pie and cooked potatoe. No dishes and you can can just hold them in your hand when cooled down.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 21:45   #13

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

mushrooms and asparagus. I use a solar oven.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 21:56   #14

Boat: Columbia 50

Casseroles! You can’t do a casserole on the stovetop.

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 21:57   #15

Boat: Columbia 50

Casseroles! You can’t do a casserole on the stovetop.

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven