Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2017, 04:07   #16

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: vacuum sealer for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
Right. Enough with the plastic cup. Stemless wine glasses with a little wrap before a coasting.
As it happens stemless wine glasses are what we use - Riedel crystal. They feel good in hand on on the lip. We store the crystal in the original shipping boxes. No breakage. For general drinking we use heavy pint glasses in the style of British pubs. When conditions get really sporty we have a small collection of spill-proof Nalgene bottles from which we drink. I'm still looking for a container for hot drinks that I'm really happy with; they all seem to leak. The new Yeti mag-lid looks promising but I'm not buying them until someone proves it to me. *grin*

I agree with you about plastic wrap. I do buy it in somewhat smaller rolls than you do. I find it useful for covering plates of leftovers and use plate covers for stacking in my top-loading refrigerator. Plastic wrap is also a good cover for contributions to beach parties and dinghy raft-ups. Unfortunately it is--well--plastic and that has environmental and trash management problems. The value is that you can arrange your serving platter on board and cover it. For my own lunches and other meals afield I use Lock-n-Lock containers.

Foodsaver bags are of course also plastic. With some care in sizing (I buy rolls) you can wash and reuse Foodsaver bags many times.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:49   #17

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

I have a Sinbo DZ-280.

I've been using it daily for six years now, and it's still going strong.

It costs a bit more than the consumer models, but it's much more solidly built, and because it uses a snorkel it will work with ordinary plastic bags, instead of requiring the expensive micro-channel bags that the consumer models do.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:58   #18

Boat: Little Harbor 38

Anyone try the FreshSaver by FoodSaver? It looks perfect for a boat.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:27   #19

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

I have FoodSaver model V4980 and love it. It enables me to buy food when it's on sale and freeze it I also use it to vacuum seal spare boat parts.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:41   #20

Boat: 1996 49' Krogen Express

Foodsaver is great. We buy stuff on sale, then vacuum seal it into helpings for two, and all fits well in our boat freezer when we leave out. I also use it for protecting papers such as the tender registration. I simply seal it in the bag, and it never gets wet. In fact once it somehow blew out of our small whaler, and was found on a beach a couple miles away about a week or so later perfectly intact.
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 13:23   #21

Boat: Lipari 41

For real wine glasses, consider going to place that sells to restaurants. You will find the glasses are heavier to withstand commercial dish washers....has worked for us going on 20 years.
R2boat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food