Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 06:24   #1

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Reliable Vacuum Food Sealer?

I'm looking for a really reliable vacuum food sealer. Please let me know what you use and your experiences with food sealers.

Susan
Old 06-10-2011, 06:46   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Reliable Vacuum Food Sealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amapola View Post
I'm looking for a really reliable vacuum food sealer. Please let me know what you use and your experiences with food sealers.

Susan
We have been using a "FoodSaver" for the last 6 years and have been very satisfied with the device. We bought the largest one they sold at the time and use it for storing bulk items, for pre-prepared meals that are frozen and then zapped in the microwave when needed; and, for storing spare parts (hence "the largest one"). Bags can be purchased in the after-market and are much less costly than those sold by FoodSaver and can do double duty if one is willing to wash them out. A nice aspect of the machine is the ability to use the heater strip to reseal plastic bags for items such as chips, cookies et al that helps keep things fresh aboard. We also bought a number of the FoodSaver cannisters but discovered that they only remain effective for a few months after which either the seals or the valves become ineffective and they become useless. At one boat-show I saw a handy little item that basically allow one to punch a hole in a lid and insert a little valve such that a typical glass jar could be vacume sealed. We didn't buy one but now wish we had.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:52   #3

I have Swal a Meal, because it has a battery option as well as AC, and it doesn't work as well as it should. Always seals, sometimes doesn't vacuum tight.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:32   #4

Boat: Privilege 37

I have the Andrew James Pro sealer

I have not used it much yet, but has the advantage of being able to use continuous roll of plastic (available in two different widths, and different lengths), and has a very impressive vacuum.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:25   #5

I have a FoodSaver I purchased probably 7 or 8 years ago, I can't remember the model number, but that is irrelevant since they discontinued that model years ago. I have had no issues with it and I use it at least every two weeks.

I'm not sure what I would do without it. I freeze casseroles by refrigerating them, cutting them into individual portions, freezing the portions and then bagging and sealing them...then back to the freezer. Whole grilled, baked or smoked chickens work great, too. Just refrigerate them first so the juices aren't so runny. (The juices will prevent the bags from sealing, as will most liquids.)

The only fresh vegetables I have sealed and frozen are green beans. I just washed and snapped them, allowed them to dry and sealed them. Worked great, tasted fresh when I cooked them.

Raw meat such as steaks work well, too so long as you pat them with a paper towel to remove most of the moisture on them.

There may be other good brands out there other than FoodSaver, but it is the one I have used and I know it is a good buy and will last for years.
easterly38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:58   #6

Boat: Islander 36

We have a Foodsaver. Glad to hear you can buy aftermarket bags.

Recently found out that Ziplock has self sealing vacuum bags and a manual vacuum pump. Foodsaver has these as well and have a battery operated pump. Then I found Reynolds battery operated pumps at Big Lots for $3 (Close out store). Couldn't get the Reynolds pump to work as well on their own bags as well as they did on the Ziplock bags. I win.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:41   #7

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
We have a Foodsaver. Glad to hear you can buy aftermarket bags.

Recently found out that Ziplock has self sealing vacuum bags and a manual vacuum pump. Foodsaver has these as well and have a battery operated pump. Then I found Reynolds battery operated pumps at Big Lots for $3 (Close out store). Couldn't get the Reynolds pump to work as well on their own bags as well as they did on the Ziplock bags. I win.
I have the Ziplock manual vacuum pump which works well. The bags are expensive which is why I'm looking at power food Sealers.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:03   #8

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amapola View Post
I have the Ziplock manual vacuum pump which works well. The bags are expensive which is why I'm looking at power food Sealers.
You can buy a lot of Ziplock bags for the $150 that the Foodsaver cost. and those bags aren't so cheap either. Although since I already own a Foodsaver, I'm glad to hear about the aftermarket bags.

Saw these Ziplock vacuum seal bags on EBay.
ziplock vacuum seal bags | eBay
Old 10-10-2011, 13:23   #9

We have FoodSaver (an older model). I saw a compact FoodSaver model in the stores recently, and I would choose this model over my old one - much easier to store.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food