Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2020, 01:19   #1

Type 2 Diabetes - drinks

Being Type 2 Diabetic, finding sugar free drinks, that's not plain water, can be difficult at times. Just wondering what others do to help get around the issue??

Thanks
Shane_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 04:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Type 2 Diabetes - drinks

Club soda. Available everywhere and doesn't have all the chemical sweeteners and flavors of diet sodas. Add a squeeze of lime or lemon if you like.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 05:54   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Amen on Skipmac and the club soda. Also tonic water (sometimes diet -there is sugar in the other stuff) with bottled lime juice added. If you don't mind the chemicals, there are bunches of artificially sweetened drink powders that are easy to store for long periods.
Old 17-01-2020, 05:59   #4

A soda stream with lime juice works for me.
mikemr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 06:46   #5

Artificial sweeteners, with emphasis on the "sugar free" type, are associated with increased prevalence of type 2 diabetes and invariably should be understood to complicate control of blood sugar, weight, etc...with or without diabetes.

The tongue sensation associated with fizzy drinks can be an addiction in it's own right. Consider cutting out the fizz...saving money, improving health, etc.

Otherwise consider figuring out how to get by on plain water, tea, maybe coffee, and certainly a little lemon-lime added to water and tea. By historic/evolutionary measure, drinking sweet liquids and fizzy drinks is a very recent development that is heavily associated with multiple deleterious health consequences. If one is an alcoholic, "light beer" is probably not a good idea...same logic with sweets and diabetes.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 07:21   #6

Boat: 2008 Nordic Tug 37

I have T1 diabetes and cruise with a Sodastream and carry several flavors of their sugar free flavors. I particularly like their diet tonic. I have not found the CO2 refills or flavors in British Columbia so I stock up before I leave WA. One CO2 cart lasts us about 3 weeks @ 2 bottles fizzed per day.
Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 08:10   #7
rbk

Boat: T37

When cruising I generally drink rum straight up little bit of lime and ice if I want something fancy. We stopped drinking beer years ago (still get the occasional six pack of something good but flats of cheap beer flavoured water are out) In place of beer we get the flavoured soda water, no sugars or sweeteners, natural flavour, mix well with a variety of sprite. Gin and grapefruit are my go to with those.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 08:50   #8

Quote:
Artificial sweeteners, with emphasis on the "sugar free" type...
The above is misstated; it should read "calorie free" sweeteners [are problematic]. The basic rule of thumb is...if you're routinely drinking (or eating for that matter) something sweet then you're probably doing something wrong (at least from an evolutionary and/or health standpoint).

An important gestalt distinction between type 1 and type 2 diabetics. Type 1 diabetics, in order to survive, must learn the 24/7/365 cause-effect consequences of all the components of their diet and activity level early in life. It's not an exaggeration to say that they become functional experts on sugar metabolism. Unfortunately the supermajority of type 2 diabetics never develop this highly attentive second-nature perspective on diet/sugar/activity control, and when they do, it's typically only after insulin is started. And otherwise the underlying physiology between T1 and T2 is such that type 1 people can do things T2 people should not assume is healthy, unless the T2 person too is as exceedingly conscienscious about the diet and lifestyle as the T1 is.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 08:53   #9

Boat: 30 feet sailboat, 1991

I'm a 73 year old type 2 diabetic with no major complications after 15 years. Water with a slice of lime, one beer a day, and red wine. I put a quarter of a teaspoon of sugar in my coffee. I've tried honey for this, tastes fine, but doesn't keep on board. Beware of light, low fat and sugar free anything , they're full of noxious chemicals which have significant adverse effects
peter loveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 08:58   #10

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

There are adapters that will allow you to for a standard paint ball canister into a Soda Stream.

They're a little pricy, but refilling a paint ball can is a lot cheaper than buying Soda Stream refills.

(Some will point out that commercial CO2 isn't food grade. That's true. It's generally welding grade. 99.5% pure. But the truth is that the only contaminant you need be concerned with is hydrogen sulfide - which you will not find in welding grade CO2, and which the human nose is incredibly sensitive to. We can smell it at concentrations far below dangerous levels.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterford View Post
I have T1 diabetes and cruise with a Sodastream and carry several flavors of their sugar free flavors. I particularly like their diet tonic. I have not found the CO2 refills or flavors in British Columbia so I stock up before I leave WA. One CO2 cart lasts us about 3 weeks @ 2 bottles fizzed per day.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 09:06   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterford View Post
Lots of stores in BC have them. Walmart for sure. London drugs. Canadian tire. Etc.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 09:23   #12

Boat: 1964 MORGAN COLUMBIA 40

Aspartame Patent reveals it is made from POOP E coli Bacteria. Very BAD. DRINK WATER. Aspartame has KILLED 2 of my best friends. Given another one MS.....Just Google ASPARTAME is poison. It ALSO GIVES you Diabetes....NEVER PUT that POISON in your mouth.
Thoth al Khem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 09:25   #13

Boat: Contest 50CS

does not anyone just drink water or tea any more?
sailone3032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 09:25   #14

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
There are adapters that will allow you to for a standard paint ball canister into a Soda Stream.

They're a little pricy, but refilling a paint ball can is a lot cheaper than buying Soda Stream refills.

(Some will point out that commercial CO2 isn't food grade. That's true. It's generally welding grade. 99.5% pure. But the truth is that the only contaminant you need be concerned with is hydrogen sulfide - which you will not find in welding grade CO2, and which the human nose is incredibly sensitive to. We can smell it at concentrations far below dangerous levels.)
Lots of home brew places can fill (or direct you to a place that will fill) CO2 canisters with food-grade CO2. I don't know if they will fill a paint ball canister, but they also sell CO2 canisters like this one https://tinyurl.com/sdpcbvm. It looks like there are lots of adapters available, too.

Tom
Tom_F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 09:30   #15

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_V View Post
Being Type 2 Diabetic, finding sugar free drinks, that's not plain water, can be difficult at times. Just wondering what others do to help get around the issue??

Thanks
I've found this. As soon as I step outside the UK the options become full fat coke/pepsi, or Coke Zero. Continental Europe, North africa, and South America seems to like the feeling of the sugar on their teeth.

Beer is often much much cheaper than other drinks. I mostly drink water, but I'm loathe to pay what can be up to €3 for a bottle when I sit down to eat.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote