Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 06:53   #421
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: The Most Basic Essential Foods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Hence the Wassabi, Chili, Curry or cooking process as far as the food goes anyway, nothing lives through that.
you have never found any cases of old ceviche or old sushi making one wish to be dead..i have seen this---these ingredients do NOT kill bacteria.
only heat kills bacteria, and more heat than fish is cooked with.

one learns much while in triage screening patients for possible emergency room admissions....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:41   #422
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Born and bred on vegemite here .

I have had severe withdrawal symptoms the last few months after I ran out on board (what is a lassie supposed to have with her nightcap nip of Scotch?). 12 step programs just don't work for vegemite addiction LOL.

Amazon UK saved the day when I found they not only sell vegemite, but deliver it free to Greece. All my Christmases came at once when this arrived in Crete last week:
WooHoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'm Hardcore.... Marmite
Vegimite is the last resort.. I find it bland and not salty enough for my palate..
Taste buds killed off by too much.................. whatever......

And how about Promite.

And FWIW, Marmite in Oz & NZ is very different than Marmite in the UK but we can get Our Mate if we have to.

See Marmite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seaworthy, I know you are not a peaty fan but pommie marmite does compliment a good smoky SM.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:16   #423

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Not to get off point here but does anyone grow herbs on their boat or do you just get a bottle full of dry and maybe some fresh from the market some place?
Old 08-03-2013, 07:21   #424

i have grown basil and lawn grass--the lawn is for the cat..he loves his greens. i gave basil i was growing to alan on victoria when he left here for panama...keep em out of the sea air somewhat, and dont let salt water get to them....i will grow more basil--isnt difficult...might even add some garlic or onions to the grow list...
Old 08-03-2013, 07:40   #425

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Seaworthy, I know you are not a peaty fan but pommie marmite does compliment a good smoky SM.
Always happy to experiment .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:07   #426

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

With us it's peanut butter and chocolate !! got to have !We have been known to turn hard to port and go an extra 500 miles to replace our peanut butter stash !! some things are just important!! (never tryed the Maramite-Vegimite stuff yet! lol)
Old 08-03-2013, 08:13   #427

no decent pb here---have to make your own ......
pizza. comes fully prepared and cooked---just pick a slice n eat...when it runs out--catch a fishie.....and chocolate, dark, for desert.....
to bad there are no panaderias out in the ocean.....
Old 08-03-2013, 11:31   #428

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

What about Nutella Though I saw on the news here college students are buying it up and hoarding it after stealing it from the school cafeteria. Now the people in the know are worried that they are eating to much Nutella.
Oh would someone stop this crazy ride I want off.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:34   #429
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
What about Nutella Though I saw on the news here college students are buying it up and hoarding it after stealing it from the school cafeteria. Now the people in the know are worried that they are eating to much Nutella.
Oh would someone stop this crazy ride I want off.

i am reminded of my youngest daughter learning to dinghy sail when she was nine, she isnt a breakfast person, but would disappear with a jar of nutella under her arm, the image of her capsized, holding the open Nutella jar above the water has stayed with me these many years !!.

DAve
Old 08-03-2013, 11:35   #430

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
you have never found any cases of old ceviche or old sushi making one wish to be dead..i have seen this---these ingredients do NOT kill bacteria.
only heat kills bacteria, and more heat than fish is cooked with.

one learns much while in triage screening patients for possible emergency room admissions....
Was a jest.....
Old 23-03-2013, 16:04   #431

I wouldn't go so far as some have that you shouldn't eat on your boat what you don't eat at home - moot point for those of us that live aboard - , but I do believe in taste-testing everything before leaving the dock with it.

I had been taste-testing dehydrated milk and found that Nestle Carnation Instant NonFat Dry Milk was far better than anything else I could find locally. Then, I read about Nido here and tried it out - I think it's the same as the former, but, likewise, is better than anything else I've found. Actually drinkable ... I like the larger cans than the smaller plastic bags, but I should have checked the expiration dates of the local cans, which expire at the end of this month. Nestle's FAQ shows the cans should last for 12 months.

I tried the chocolate Nido flavoring (Thought it was chocolate milk, but what I bought was just chocolate flavoring) called "Nestle Milo" and it was so bad I threw it away. I bought Hershey's genuine chocolate syrup and from the date on the bottle, it lasts, at least, a year and a half. Put that in the Nido milk and ... wow, really takes good - honest (I did use a lot of chocolate syrup ... lol). I think the Nido is a great option onboard just for drinking and invaluable for cooking.

I'm going back through the thread from the beginning and copying it as I go. I was just getting to the suggestion for the sun dehydrator, which looks cool, but I would think that humidity on the water would spoil the food before it would dehydrate on the boat. Inland it would probably be fine. Perhaps someone has used these on the water with better results? I have an electric model, but it uses a LOT of power given the time it takes to dehydrate food ...

So many incredible suggestions, I just wanted to say, "Thanks !!!" and I continue to take notes. Great thread !!!
D_e_n_n_i_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 16:13   #432

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

By the way, can I get a booyah for Spagetti O's...?
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 17:36   #433

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

I'm not fond of Spagetti O's. The taste is a little too cloyingly sweet for my palette.
Old 23-03-2013, 18:06   #434
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

dennis, you will find Nido and Klim usually stocked on the shelf next to each other. They are very slightly different, but both are whole milk type products. If you think they taste at all like the US-market nonfat dry milks...lay off the tabasco sauce in your milk! From what I've seen at least one of them also comes in a "high fat" variation also, with even more milkfat product in it, more like half-and-half for your coffee. Nestle is convinced there is no US market for these products, and they are officially not intended for sale in the US. What you find here is (according to them) brought in "gray market" by grocery suppliers from South America and Latin America, where each (one only) is sold to a slightly different market. Which may also explain why you are finding it with a short shelf life.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 18:44   #435

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: The Most Basic Essential Foods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
By the way, can I get a booyah for Spagetti O's...?

Would just a boo! do? I think it's dogfodder.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote