Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2009, 12:22   #1

Lightbulb Bizzare Foods

I was watching Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern on the Travel Channel the other night and there were some truly bizarre items being consumed!

That man must have a stomach made of iron! I have seen him eat everything from bull unmentionables to fish unmentionables!

From all the forum members that travel the globe, what is the most bizarre food you have seen and/or tried while on your journeys?

If you have any pictures, all the better!

Thanks!
Old 29-09-2009, 12:31   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Tiger balls in Rangoon!! Don't really know what they were but in the open air food market where they wander around the tables shouting out the names of the delicious delights we always had an order of tiger balls!!
Old 29-09-2009, 13:12   #3

Chicken McNuggets!:>(
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 13:22   #4

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
chicken feet as part of dim-sum (chinese)? no, it's got to be bulls balls and horsemeat, in that order, courtesy of slowenian cuisine!
idpnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 18:14   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
We do not do weird food!
Strange little 'foreigners' serve up revolting offel to make tourists cringe!

Anyways... when we were in the Galapagos Islands we walked past this restaurant that said Chicken Dinner with Beer $4.

So we went in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The main course was a huge 1/4 chicken & rice with a large bottle of beer Fine.....

But the Starter was a chicken soup.... of 4 chicken feet, upright. So you could just see the stumps sticking out of the soup and the outlines of the feet in the 'shallows' LOL At least the main course got eaten

About 15 years ago about 6 of us backpackers were in China at this restaurant famous for snake. Someone says Lets Try Snake! On the menu snake was (say) $2 per 100 grams. So we ask for 100 grams. and confirmed back the price (as one does when travelling) "Ahh Price $20." "No, No we just want 100 grams, $2"
So yelling match in Engrish V's Chinese develops.
Until the chef comes out with meat cleaver and this LIVE snake curled up his arm: "Which 100 grams you want?"

LOL like whole fish they sell by the 100 grams but you have to take the whole thing.

We declined!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 18:26   #6

I had dog in China, and it was very good, a cross between beef and chicken. They did not want to serve westerners dog but I persisted.

Also beef calves roast testicles here in Australia very good, prairie oysters as they say. They are not sold, you have to get your own.

I have heard salt water turtle is one of the best, but I haven't been able to try that yet, but I will someday.
We used to be able to buy turtle meat back in the 1960's out of Cairns Northern Australia, but I don't remember what it tasted like, I was just a kid.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 19:00   #7

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Three dishes I had stand out, In the Sudan at the home of an important client I was served the following as appetizers there was no way of getting out of having some: a bloody bowl of sliced raw camel liver, then a plate of chopped raw goat tripe. Thankfully they were both loaded with "Chatta" hot peppers which numbed my taste buds instantly I did manage to choke down several bites of each which satisfied my hosts.
Another was in a Japanese restaurant in Peito, Taiwan where a Sashimi Boat platter included a live fish which had been filleted without damaging the organs. He was the star of the platter, the fillets had been sliced and stacked back on the fish which gasped and watched as our chopsticks went to work. kind of cruel I thought but tasted fine.
Bon appetite

Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 09:27   #8

Mark - I think the sight of 4 chicken feet in my soup would be enough to turn me off of any soup for a while....

Stevensc - I have seen the sashimi boat platter before, didn't have the guts (no pun intended) to dig in and give it a try...seeing the fish's mouth moving and twitch is something I just couldn't handle. I need my food dead before digging in!

Thanks. Looking forward to hearing more reports!
Old 30-09-2009, 10:27   #9

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
While in China, I had duck feet, duck tongue, cubes of coagulated cow blood, frog sperm in warm papaya juice (a type of soup), pig throat, seahorse and something that didn't have an English name but translated to "lives in mud and reprocesses things" (it was a 4-6" eel/fish looking thing brought out live and dunked in boiling broth to kill/cook it. One then eats it whole).

Picture is "lives in mud and reprocesses things"

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	063.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	10232  

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 10:46   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
While in China, I had duck feet, duck tongue, cubes of coagulated cow blood, frog sperm in warm papaya juice (a type of soup), pig throat, seahorse and something that didn't have an English name but translated to "lives in mud and reprocesses things" (it was a 4-6" eel/fish looking thing brought out live and dunked in boiling broth to kill/cook it. One then eats it whole).

Picture is "lives in mud and reprocesses things"

Mark
I see you sail a cat. That answers my question, yep the man's crazy......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 12:50   #11

Boat: A Lido 14 (for now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
We do not do weird food!
Strange little 'foreigners' serve up revolting offel to make tourists cringe!

Who is the "foreigner?" LOL!

Actually, the most truly bizarre and unpalatable food I have ever eaten was probably a stir fry. My co-worker was a recent immigrant from China, and alone in Chicago, and I often accompanied her to lunch, and was always curious about her food. Once she included Western ingredients, among which were hot dogs and ketchup.

Another example: I worked with a woman from India, who often brought Indian dishes to potlucks, which were truly delicious, but often were left untouched by many, likely because of the color. I once asked her what she though of American food, she confided that she had once tried to eat chicken. She described it as being "too white."

I have given up trying to cook with unfamiliar ingredients, because I once had a BF who was putting powdered kelp into EVERYTHING for awhile, and it was truly nasty tasting. But when I finally ate kelp prepared as a vegetable at a Japanese buffet, I really enjoyed it.

For myself, I have a frugal bent. While organ meats, and strange animals and their parts make me squeamish, I figure that part of my training for cruising is to try a taste of whatever unfamiliar foods I have an opportunity for.

I also am interested in foraging for wild foods, and I have just rejoined a local mushroom club. Mainstream US cuisine tends to be rather "mycophobic." But yet, the current food industry has developed very effective and ingenous ways for poisioning people en masse! (Salmonella bacteria are now conveniently delivered within the shell of the egg, and complimentary fecal bacteria included with your raw spinach salad! JUST YUMMY!

PL
planetluvver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 13:10   #12

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
I worked as a Nurse in Saudi Arabia quite a few years ago and I was once served Dhub
reptile factfiles: dhub. The men got the body but the senior wife insisted I had the tail. It was delicious.
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 13:44   #13

I have also had the coagulated blood. It was quite good. I think mine was duck blood.

On the not so good side, in Xiamen China a local delicacy is earthworm dumplings. Just whole earthworms wrapped in dough and steamed.

In Malaysia, we ate in the food court of the mall. My hosts tried to steer me toward the eyeball soup. I asked if they liked and they all said no. I passed and had an astoundingly good curry soup instead.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 13:54   #14
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
I had lamb testicles, fried, recently and they were delicious... but that isn't sounding very strange compared to some of the offerings here!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 14:25   #15

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I have also had the coagulated blood. It was quite good. I think mine was duck blood.

Coagulated blood is not that uncommon. Ask any Brit if they've ever had black pudding.