Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2015, 05:49   #31

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Storage of fresh provisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by qatharms View Post
I like to keep many items without refrigeration, but here in the states, it is difficult to find anything that has not previously been refrigerated....
I used to shop outside of supermarkets, asked around and always found a farmers market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qatharms View Post
...I use green bags for most of my produce in the fridge. The green bags absorb the ethylene gas, but fresh veg and fruit also sweats....
I didn't have a fridge and these green bags really worked for me. Placed in a dark and cool place they kept everything fresh for much longer, and they can be reused a few times.

Amazon.com: Debbie Meyer GreenBags Freshness-Preserving Food/Flower Storage Bags (Various Sizes, 20-Pack): Kitchen & Dining
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 06:12   #32

Boat: Cheoy Lee 41

Eggs: They don't need to be refrigerated. Don't lube them with any weird stuff or worry about turning if you're going to use them in the next month. We purchased 90 in Mexico at Costco and they lasted more than a month in the original clean cardboard without any special care. In 6 months without refrigeration we had one questionable one that we threw away.
n8kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 12:17   #33

Boat: OEM, proportional

What is the smallest size boat one would dare keep a chicken on? Fresh eggs, laying, for the purpose of?
Old 14-07-2015, 12:27   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8kraft View Post
Eggs: They don't need to be refrigerated. Don't lube them with any weird stuff or worry about turning if you're going to use them in the next month. We purchased 90 in Mexico at Costco and they lasted more than a month in the original clean cardboard without any special care. In 6 months without refrigeration we had one questionable one that we threw away.
Totally agree, eggs in the fridge is a real bugbear for me! However, if you buy them from a source that refrigerates them they will not last as long as the ones kept out of the fridge.
Old 14-07-2015, 12:42   #35

Boat: Liberty 458

Sorry, but I feel that there isn't a boat large enough for me and a chicken, eggs or no.

Love your psalm.
qatharms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 12:46   #36

Boat: OEM, proportional

Yeah, the thrill of a fresh egg would wear off after 5 minutes, especially with 24/7 chicken stench. Just a thought. Followed by the thought that some kind cruiser with a megaboat with miles of room for chickens would at least try, and give me the eggs. Hope springs eternal.
Old 21-07-2015, 00:46   #37

Boat: Ganley Stratos, 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Balme View Post
Pretty definitive discussion on this here: Crystal Blues: When There Are No Shops
Hi Bill, Thanks for picking up our blog and sharing the entry about provisioning and long term storing of food in the tropics without refrigeration.

Happy to answer any questions. Cheers, Ley
Svcrystalblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 03:00   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiter190 View Post
Zooks instead of cukes.Cabbage lasts for a long time, is heartier and can be found everwhere.I agree with all the advice about carrots and such. Seal your rice and troll for weevils.Red spuds cook quicker than big Idahos and, you can get more in the same space. Tiny jars of mayo. Tiny cans of tomato paste. No spoilage. Good beer does' nt need to refrigerated . Good whiskey is made to be sipped at ambient temperature. IMHO, of course.
We were advised years ago about weevils in sealed containers. The advice we received was to use a 35mm film container with a ball of cotton wool soaked in chloroform inside. Punch a few small holes in the film container lid and place upright in the sealed container of flour/grains/rice etc and you shall never have live weevils again. We have never had weevils since using this - although getting the chloroform has often been a challenge. I think getting the film containers these days shall also be a bit harder.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 16:41   #39

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Freezer is for ice making + frozen parsley.

Champagne chilling, on request (F factor rules)

Paper: hateful on board
Thin films: same as above

I buy proper Vegs very unripen. Same as fruit.

Or none at all
Easy way of conduct.....
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage