Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2008, 02:31   #1

Boat: Pearson Ariel 264
Rinse free Shampoo/soap?

Anyone ever give this stuff a try. Seems like a great alternative when trying to conserve fresh water. I`m a nurse and have used it on patients ofte and it seems to do a pretty good job. Just thought it might be an idea and useful product to keep on the boat.

http://www.americarx.com/Products/16...mpaign=product
Chattcatdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:53   #2

This product is great for a use in a pinch. If someone is to use it with long hair, it dries it out and leaves a weird residue (kindda like the feeling a hand sanitizer leaves). It needs to be used with a really good leave in conditioner.

Baby wipes are a captain's best friend for saving water on long trips
Old 01-01-2009, 08:03   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
If you're cruising in warm water, which is typical for us, you can conserve fresh wash by bathing and washing your hair overboard. "Joy" dishwashing detergent lathers in salt water and does a fine job. We follow this with a quick rise with a small amount of fresh water. This allows the 200 gallons we carry last us six weeks for the two of us if we are careful. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 13:38   #4

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Not a water saver, but a HUGE space saver... we love shampoo bars. Even with long hair you rub it on your hair just 1-2 times and they lather like crazy! They last for months and no plastic to throw away when you are finished.

There are many out there, but if you want to spoil yourself get a few from LUSH. Mmmmmm!

(Schooner-dog's wife)
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 13:55   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Try not washing your hair.
Nicoole and I have the most soft, shiny hair after a few weeks at sea.
We wash it in sea baths with regular soft soap but no where near as often as on land. Both skin and hair seem much much healthier since we left home and reduced the washing.

Whoever invented humans did a good job in the clensing department. Its all automatic. No detergents needed just some pure fresh or salt water every few days!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 14:55   #6

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Kids say the darndest things

My youngest is a corker..

Aboat two years ago my sister-in-law got engaged..she asked my daughter what she thought of her intended she replied "Well he seems like a nice guy but he dosent smell like a nice guy"

This year while shopping with mom for dad's Christmas gift they passed the mens calone department in Macyes, stopping and testing out a few...She proceeded to tell my wife it would be a waste of money and she wanted to get me something else because I dont use the calone I was given already and I always smell like dirt.... we had a big laugh... (Im and excavation contractor)...I have been putting extra heavy doses on latly and during hugging her the other day she noticed... looked up and gave me a big grin..I guess I smell like a "nice" guy now...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 18:18   #7

Boat: Pearson Ariel 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Try not washing your hair.
Nicoole and I have the most soft, shiny hair after a few weeks at sea.
We wash it in sea baths with regular soft soap but no where near as often as on land. Both skin and hair seem much much healthier since we left home and reduced the washing.

Whoever invented humans did a good job in the clensing department. Its all automatic. No detergents needed just some pure fresh or salt water every few days!

Mark

I wish I could go a longtime without washing my hair. If I go more than a day I start to look like a circus freak from the oil/fuzz. I think I will just give myself a buzz cut so I don`t scare small children.
Chattcatdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 18:37   #8

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up

We use it, my wife has long hair that takes a fair amount of water to clean.

One thing to consider is that the oil/dirt that is in your hair has to go somewhere. If you use the waterless shampoo as advertised, and then towel your hair dry you are going to wind up with another dirty towel that needs to be washed and you are not going to want to reuse it until you do.

What she wound up doing was using the waterless shampoo, and then rinsing it out with water. Still use some water, but very little... and you don't add to your laundry list too much.

Oh yea, another thing to get is that spray in conditioner, some times labeled as tangle remover. Works great to get the tangles out when you don't have enough water to use regular conditioner.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:17   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chattcatdaddy View Post
I wish I could go a longtime without washing my hair. If I go more than a day I start to look like a circus freak from the oil/fuzz.
Yes, but then a day or 2 later it all comes back to life and looks like fresh washed hair! Thats what I am trying to say Go for a 20 day cruise where you can't wash properly and you will be a New You! A convert! You will be able to enter beauty contests again! LOL

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote