Your problem was due to insuffient air
Originally Posted by jwidahonurse
I had a propane cookstove on my 64' schooner. It is messier than alcohol. It creates a film on the galley bulkheads. Also, it smells bad and has a potential for leaking where my alcohol stove doesn't.
(a rich fuel/air mix), not the propane fuel
itself. The film could have been prevented by cleaning
your stove, or adjusting the orifaces.
In the presence of sufficient oxygen, propane burns to form water
and carbon dioxide. Complete combustion of propane is evident by a blue burning flame.
When not enough oxygen is present for complete combustion, incomplete combustion occurs when propane burns and forms water, carbon monoxide (which can kill you), carbon dioxide, and carbon (which will form a carbon soot overhead).
Incomplete combustion is defined as within the limits of flammability but higher or lower than the ideal ratio of 4 parts
propane 96 parts
air. Incomplete propane combustion can occur in one of two ways:
- The ratio of propane to air is less than 4 parts propane. 2.5 parts propane to 97.5 parts air would produce a lean burn. A lean burn can be recognized when flames appear to lift
away from the burner and can potentially go out.
- A ratio of propane to air is more than 4 parts propane. 8.5 parts propane to 91.5 parts air would produce a rich burn. Recognizing a rich burn is very simple as the flames are much larger than they are supposed to be and are largely yellow in colour.
Visible signs of incomplete combustion include burner flame appearance (as listed above), soot collecting above appliances
and on appliance windows (such as a space heater) and excessive water vapours forming on windows and cool surfaces during appliance operation. Appliance service
and adjustment is needed if any of these visible signs of incomplete combustion are noticed.