Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2017, 17:59   #1

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon
pressure cooker

What is your favorite pan/pot to cook with? I Like a pressure cooker . I have not been able to find any small stainless steel. Do you know of any stainless steel 3-4 qt pressure cooker to use on propane stove You would recommend? Any Brands or links would be helpful. All the stores have 6 to 8qt. only which is to big for me.
Old 02-10-2017, 18:09   #2

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Re: pressure cooker

have you thought about a multi cooker
have been eyeing this one
looks interesting and is small
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y1YD5W7...=214KEGJLX5WJ6

Instant Pot Duo Mini 3 Qt 7-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 18:15   #3

fissler 2.7 quart "pressure skillet" $179.99

https://fisslerusa.com/products/pres...essure-skillet

we have a small pressure cooker from them, it is very good
swan36doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 18:38   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

James, you could Google it; i got about 15 responses, all from Australia, on the first page. Just put in, "stainless steel pressure cookers." Since you're in the US, if you do it, you'll find some more or less local to you.

Ann
Old 02-10-2017, 18:41   #5

Boat: Spencer 53 Cutter

The instant pot has been a hit here. The model we have will braze meat and brown stuff before you switch to finish pressure cooking if you like. But they are Electric....
SailorSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 21:02   #6

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Fagor do a cupla 4qts... I have a 6qt one... is good...

Duo Pressure Cooker | Fagor

Elite Pressure Cooker | Fagor
Old 02-10-2017, 22:44   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I didn't know they came in anything but stainless Well, okay, I've seen one or two that's aluminum.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 23:23   #8

Boat: Boatless (for now)

I have used a Kuhn Rikon Duromatic s/s pressure cooker, model #3065, for years. I used it in my home kitchen, and brought it with me when we moved aboard. I can't imagine doing without a pressure cooker.

I like the Kuhn Rikon cookers because they use a spring valve, and allow cooking at two different pressures (8psi and 15psi). Lower pressure works great for dried peas, rice, pasta, etc. Higher pressure is good for tough meats, stews, and denser vegetables (e.g. yams). I also use the pressure cooker to put up fish and meats in glass jars for longer-term provisioning.

I cook more than half of our dinners using the pressure cooker. It is a very energy-efficient method. I use less propane, and generate less heat inside the boat. I have replaced the lid gasket once and the release valve once in more than 20 years of service. The Kuhn Rikon Duromatic pressure cookers are of very high quality manufacture and last for years. Whatever pressure cooker you settle on, do not skimp on quality; this is a tool that should last for decades of heavy use.
p.s. I have no commercial relationship with KR; I have just been very satisfied with mine and their customer service and parts availability are excellent.
OZwingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 00:00   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZwingle View Post
I have used a Kuhn Rikon Duromatic s/s pressure cooker, model #3065, for years. I used it in my home kitchen, and brought it with me when we moved aboard. I can't imagine doing without a pressure cooker.

I like the Kuhn Rikon cookers because they use a spring valve, and allow cooking at two different pressures (8psi and 15psi). Lower pressure works great for dried peas, rice, pasta, etc. Higher pressure is good for tough meats, stews, and denser vegetables (e.g. yams). I also use the pressure cooker to put up fish and meats in glass jars for longer-term provisioning.

I cook more than half of our dinners using the pressure cooker. It is a very energy-efficient method. I use less propane, and generate less heat inside the boat. I have replaced the lid gasket once and the release valve once in more than 20 years of service. The Kuhn Rikon Duromatic pressure cookers are of very high quality manufacture and last for years. Whatever pressure cooker you settle on, do not skimp on quality; this is a tool that should last for decades of heavy use.
p.s. I have no commercial relationship with KR; I have just been very satisfied with mine and their customer service and parts availability are excellent.
I'm curious, do you do much cooking in it using salt water? Obviously salt is a component in many recipes. I'm just curious as to whether you find that salt's corrosiveness harms the valve assemblies at all?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:47   #10

Boat: Boatless (for now)

Cooking with sea water: Sea water is too salty to cook with on its own. You have to blend it with potable water to reduce the salt, using mostly fresh water anyway. Also, sea water does tend to be corrosive to stainless steel, even if items are later rinsed in fresh water. On balance, and because we have a desalinator onboard, I don't cook with or wash up in sea water. I may, on occasion and when we're well offshore, add a squirt to rice water or potato water.
OZwingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 13:31   #11

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Aldi cast iron french pan and Dutch oven used daily - same as Le Crusette but a fraction of the price.

240v Tefal minute cook pressure cooker used weekly.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 13:34   #12

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZwingle View Post
Cooking with sea water: Sea water is too salty to cook with on its own.
Far to salty for pasta
But fine for boiling crabs, prawns and potato's
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 13:36   #13

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

Yep, there are several, but I've used the T-Fal without any issues for a few years now. Here's a link to it on Amazon... T-fal 4QT Stainless

regards,
Old 12-10-2017, 17:18   #14

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

I'm very happy with my Fagors. I have a shallow 4-quart that I use as a skillet as much as I use it as a pressure cooker and I have two 6 quarts that I used to constantly use with another bowl inside and I also usually used it with an insulated box. And It's nice to have two 6 quarts when I'm canning. Since I've gotten my solar oven I do almost all my cooking with it.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 19:02   #15

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

Finally I found a Magefasa 3.3 qt stainless steel. At a small shop here in Canton Ohio. I will give it a spin. Only $48.00 usd.