Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 00:25   #136

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Most efficient way to boil water on a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
With enough solar panels and LFPs, you can have it today: electric outboard, main engine, cooking, heating! Too easy... or not?
Yep, as long as you don't need a main engine with any sort of real power and endurance.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 00:28   #137

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
OK I read that as exactly what it says don't use portable gas appliances with integral( built in/ large tanks) instead of the disposable cylinders that they are designed to be used with.
And be careful about using the ones with disposable cylinders:

NSW, VIC, QLD, WA, SA & NT Ban Butane Cookers | Lunchbox Cookers | Video | ELGAS - LPG Gas for Home & Business

ACCC Recalls Portable Butane Stove Cookers | Lunchbox Cookers | ELGAS - LPG Gas for Home & Business
Old 10-10-2016, 00:36   #138

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
OK I read that as exactly what it says don't use portable gas appliances with integral( built in/ large tanks) instead of the disposable cylinders that they are designed to be used with.
I think you misread that. "integral" doesn't mean "built in/large tanks"

If you read the precautions about storing and changing cylinders it is apparent that "integral gas canisters" in this case means the small removable/disposable cylinders positioned inside the appliance.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:52   #139

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
With enough solar panels and LFPs, you can have it today: electric outboard, main engine, cooking, heating! Too easy... or not?
Main propulsion powered by solar is not really feasible for a largish cruising boat. 700 liters of diesel fuel -- what I keep on board my boat --contains 7.8 megawatt/hours of heat energy, which can be converted to more than 2 megawatt/hours of propulsion energy. What kind of solar installation/battery installation would be required to come even within an order of magnitude of that?

Electric outboard is actually an intriguing idea, and I do know some people who are using Torqueedos. But if you need to be able to plane a RIB and have a few hours of range, also not really realistic.

And in general, "enough" solar panels for all that -- where would you put them? It's hard to find space for ANY solar panels on a low windage boat, intended to be capable of making long distances upwind.

Solar is wonderful if you have room for it and/or don't care about windage, but the power density of diesel fuel can't be beat except by nuclear (which is not yet available to us ). A small, very light, diesel fuel burning (not necessarily diesel cycle) outboard would be terrific. There's another thread on here somewhere, about that.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:55   #140

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

If you read the precautions about storing and changing cylinders it is apparent that "integral gas canisters" in this case means the small removable/disposable cylinders positioned inside the appliance.
Exactly.

The disposable cylinders are much more susceptible to leaks than normal cylinders. Fine on land, but really dangerous on a boat where the gas can't escape downward. The amount of gas contained within one of those small disposable gas cans is more than enough to blow your boat to smithereens.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 10-10-2016, 05:56   #141
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

That is possible. All of my smallportable propane fueled appliances don't have the bottle inside of the unit. The bottle is outside and fully vissable.( leak testable )
I bet everyone would go just nuts if they knew what different stoves I actually have onboard and use on my boat. They are all safe to a point. As long as you pay attention to details.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:45   #142

Small thin anodized aluminum pot with a lid is fastest. Quick heat transfer, I use the same for camping when gas has to be carried. Always use a lid, it speeds boiling up something like 3 times..
fstarocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:37   #143
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Back when I was Army camping, I always kept a Svea stove with me, mine would burn either kerosene or Diesel. Either was as hot or hotter than butane or propane, but Diesel did have to be preheated more.
I don't like propane in the boat.
This weekend I discovered that the cockpit locker I had been keeping the little 1 lb bottles in, has a drain, connected to the bilge.
Now I need to find another place to keep those little rusting Fatherless things.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 10:22   #144

Origo heat pal, baby. Definitely some of the best $50 spent to date.

I use it almost year round. It meets the kiss and two or more uses rules. It is safe and very stable. It works well as a stove in the cockpit for soup or coffee underway to making a bbq dinner w/o running down below all the time to make carbs.
Also, it serves as an excellent heater below. Along with gimbaled lamps it was nice and dry and toasty at angel island on a mooring for a big rainy December storm.
It's fun too. We sometimes use it for a slow dinner as a hibachi grill (using the skillet) around the salon table or when its in lounge mode while watching a movie. On a cold, rainy evening you can even roast marshmallows below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1479924628088.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	136682
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 11:06   #145

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

10 pages and 143 posts on how to boil water on a boat. Unbelievable.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 12:00   #146

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JstaRebel View Post
10 pages and 143 posts on how to boil water on a boat. Unbelievable.
I agree. ONLY 143 posts on the number one in priority domestic job on board. Come on, people!

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Walt Whitman
Old 23-11-2016, 16:37   #147

Boat: Valiant 40

I dunno. I live aboard and carry 40 lbs of propane. Each tank lasts me about 3-5 months, and that's boiling water to make coffee at least once a day. My kettle has a whistle, and the only moving part is the spout cap.

On the other hand, do I really want to add another gizmo to my boat, that I have to plug in to the inverter, and that in truth won't last that long? (Used to buy electric kettles for my mom. Tried every one. Researching and ordering them was close to a full time job).

Whenever some well-meaning family member asks me what I need for my boat I tell them "A dumpster" as a way of putting a fine point on the fact that less is more.

My sister proposed getting me a cozy for my french press. I told her no, that is what dish towels are for.

One of the great joys of living on a boat is stripping down and simplifying, in the ways that have very little impact on your daily routine or comfort.

ixnay on the electric kettleay. Yes, it means I have to buy an extra 10 lbs of propane once every two years. BFD. I get the efficiency numbers. Don't care. Other considerations trump navel-gazing math.

As an aside, I'm heartened to see that CF's can argue over anything, even boiling water. It's just so...CF.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 17:00   #148
txg

Boat: Dufour 35

We have an electric kettle that was on the boat when we bought it (probably about 20 years old and still working fine) and also an electric plate that was about 20€. we use both all the time when the sun is shining (280wp of solar) or the engine is running or when we are in a marina. Cuts down or ethanol usage for the cooker a lot, at least half than before we installed the 1500w inverter to use electricity for cooking without shorepower.

Boiling a cup of water uses only about 4Ah, and it's a lot easier than with a pot.
txg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 17:03   #149

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Other considerations trump navel-gazing math..
Careful - don't want to turn this into a political thread.
Old 24-11-2016, 02:59   #150

I've already been scolded for commenting on the aburdity of this thread. Let's see how much water does someone need to boil? On a boat or on dirt... for personal or family use?

We boiler water to make a few cups of coffee or tea, some pasta occasionally or maybe a hard boiled egg or some ramen. Whatever the cost... it pales in comparison to all other operating costs related to our boat. We have an LPG stove and use it for cooking and have two 10 # bottles which will easily last us the 6th month season we sail. The refill costs about $20 IIRC... How much could possibly be saved and why would we introduce more things to take care of and replace and so on?

It probably costs us about $5,000 a year to run our 36' fully paid off sailboat. This includes winter and summer storage/mooring, fuel, repairs to such things as engine, electronics, plumbing, heating system, AP... rigging... the entire ball of wax. I consider this a very good value considering what it would cost to rent a weekend place for the summer... in our area. Just driving to the boat is 100mi RT with $15 in bridge tolls. We spend about $25 / visit for auto costs.

Why would I be concerned to save or waste $.001 cents when I boil some water to make a cup of coffee?

I suppose for *big* yachts with large electrical storage, or using shore power at a slip it may make sense to be all electric. I suspect this does not apply to 99.9% of the boats out there... even those in slips... maybe for the floating condo types.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, water