Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2022, 13:58   #166

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Gas v Electric Galley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grith View Post
PS What do you guys run to need that much power on tap and wouldn’t occasionally running something like our Honda eu2.2 generator be more weight and cost effective than all those batteries?
We are fitting all our stuff on a lightweight exceptionally low draft 28 foot trailable power sailer being used for long and unusual, shallow water, extreme tidal flow coastal expeditions amongst our more regular cruising use. .
Both our yachts together are still shorter than either Jedi or Simi's yachts. We also want to be reasonably self reliant, but if there is a week of rain and heavy cloud we are going to be in a harbour or marina and probably plug in too. Whilst Jedi may need 10Kw, we can manage on much less, never mind were we would put 10Kw on a 31ft yacht. Our hybrid 205Ah bank is a little too small, but we will increase this to achieve a sensible balance to meet our needs. If we occasionally need to top up the bank with the alternator as you do with a genny, that's fine. Indeed we did have to use the engine twice in a 3 week cruise last year, so not too shabby.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2022, 14:07   #167
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Both our yachts together are still shorter than either Jedi or Simi's yachts. We also want to be reasonably self reliant, but if there is a week of rain and heavy cloud we are going to be in a harbour or marina and probably plug in too. Whilst Jedi may need 10Kw, we can manage on much less, never mind were we would put 10Kw on a 31ft yacht. Our hybrid 205Ah bank is a little too small, but we will increase this to achieve a sensible balance to meet our needs. If we occasionally need to top up the bank with the alternator as you do with a genny, that's fine. Indeed we did have to use the engine twice in a 3 week cruise last year, so not too shabby.

Pete
Sounds a lot like me but i am contemplating putting the 1000 watt predator gas generator back on for long cruises . it will run my charger at about 50 amps for a lot cheaper than my main when taking maintenance into account . but that's lazzerette room taken up when I could carry another spare propane tank
Old 19-08-2022, 14:13   #168

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The big advantage is if you don't use it, then its costing you nothing. We did have a Honda 20i but sold it after we started increasing our solar capacity and yes gained space in the cockpit locker.
Old 19-08-2022, 14:36   #169
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The big advantage is if you don't use it, then its costing you nothing. We did have a Honda 20i but sold it after we started increasing our solar capacity and yes gained space in the cockpit locker.
True and I carry a 1 gallon and and a 2.5 gallon tanks as it is . About a years worth with induction capability . Also same fuel mix as tender motor.
A new one costs about $125 here so not really a hard to justify cost when I need to replace it .
Old 19-08-2022, 18:23   #170
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I think you guys are confusing kW with kWh. We have a 10kWh battery but can only deliver around 5kW inverter power or 6kW generator power or 11kW by running the generator and inverters in power assist mode.

Our 10kWh battery has 8 LiFePO4 cells (24V) of each 400Ah.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 04:35   #171

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Actually, thinking about it, 10Kwh isn't that much particularly on a large yacht. Having spent the weekend re-configuring our house bank to make use of a spare lead acid battery in the hybrid LFP-LA mix we now have 3500Kwh, all be it we really don't want to use it all by draining the LA.

I also did a test to see what the Remoska actually uses and it's 512w. Turns out ours is a slightly older model compared to the standard and grand models currently on the market, but works nicely.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Remoska.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	263210  
Old 22-08-2022, 04:53   #172

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Actually, thinking about it, 10Kwh isn't that much particularly on a large yacht. Having spent the weekend re-configuring our house bank to make use of a spare lead acid battery in the hybrid LFP-LA mix we now have 3500Kwh, all be it we really don't want to use it all by draining the LA.

Pete
When you take 12V 100Ah batteries, eight of them is about 10kWh.

When you take 6V 400Ah L16 batteries, two of them (in series for 12V) is about 5kWh so only four of them make 10kWh.

Old 22-08-2022, 06:36   #173
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I also did a test to see what the Remoska actually uses and it's 512w. Turns out ours is a slightly older model compared to the standard and grand models currently on the market, but works nicely.

Pete
Did the calculations and I have 3kwh on my 29 (a single 250ah lfp .)
The information shared here gives me real hope for a fully electric galley.
Now to figure where to add more solar to support it .
Old 22-08-2022, 06:49   #174

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Did the calculations and I have 3kwh on my 29 (a single 250ah lfp .)
The information shared here gives me real hope for a fully electric galley.
Now to figure where to add more solar to support it .
With 3.2kWh you can replace the propane stove with induction and make it through the night comfortably. It only becomes problematic if adding an electric oven for the night meal or when the battery isn’t fully charged due to a cloudy low solar day or insufficient solar panels.

If you could add a second, similar battery you would enable all that but I recommend to wait and install a second lfp battery at least a number of years after the first one so that they don’t simultaneously approach end of life

Old 22-08-2022, 07:42   #175
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
With 3.2kWh you can replace the propane stove with induction and make it through the night comfortably. It only becomes problematic if adding an electric oven for the night meal or when the battery isn’t fully charged due to a cloudy low solar day or insufficient solar panels.

If you could add a second, similar battery you would enable all that but I recommend to wait and install a second lfp battery at least a number of years after the first one so that they don’t simultaneously approach end of life
Oh I'm keeping the propane stove . Just installed a new to me force 10 2 burner cook top . I have no oven and no need for same. I can bake bread on stove top in my cast iron cooking gear..
The LFP is fully expected to reach end of life long after I do . But have a 100 ah suitcase for electric outboard . That's my backup .

As we both agree currently I have 200 watts solar and 400 wind so need more solar before adding more battery capacity.
Old 22-08-2022, 09:04   #176

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Oh I'm keeping the propane stove . Just installed a new to me force 10 2 burner cook top . I have no oven and no need for same. I can bake bread on stove top in my cast iron cooking gear..
The LFP is fully expected to reach end of life long after I do . But have a 100 ah suitcase for electric outboard . That's my backup .

As we both agree currently I have 200 watts solar and 400 wind so need more solar before adding more battery capacity.
Us too. When the 300w panel was delivered I did wonder if this is too big. Now I am planning to add a second 300w panel, to cover times when its cloudy or raining as its want to do in England

The butane hob and grill can stay to help us cook in the winter time or whilst sailing in > F4 when thing get bouncy in a 31ft yacht.

This is interesting. Data points seem about right but the drop all most a cliff edge in reduction of solar energy as Autumn draws in, is also a problem for us.

https://en.sunware.solar/systemsize/daily_yield#tabelle
Old 22-08-2022, 09:47   #177
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Us too. When the 300w panel was delivered I did wonder if this is too big. Now I am planning to add a second 300w panel, to cover times when its cloudy or raining as its want to do in England

The butane hob and grill can stay to help us cook in the winter time or whilst sailing in > F4 when thing get bouncy in a 31ft yacht.

This is interesting. Data points seem about right but the drop all most a cliff edge in reduction of solar energy as Autumn draws in, is also a problem for us.

https://en.sunware.solar/systemsize/daily_yield#tabelle
Similar here at my marina

Latitude: 47° 32′ 23.7″ N
Longitude: 122° 38′ 32.7" W
Winters = long nights like 16 hours night. Just like you.
That's when I expect to either hit a marina ( member of yacht club ) for reciprocal to charge on shore every few days or run generator every 3 days.
Most of my cruising is winter time
Old 22-08-2022, 18:43   #178

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What kind of lifespan do you guys expect?

Old 22-08-2022, 19:29   #179
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
What kind of lifespan do you guys expect?
Myself I actually fully expect my current bank to last st a minimum 20 years before its no longer usable . My current usage before I start induction cooking I use about 2pah per night out of the bank and charged during the day. This usage should drop even more once I install the wind turbine . My 250ah bank currently tests out with iirc 265ah and I won't consider it end of life untill I'm down to 150ah available or possibly a bit lower . Annual tests over the last 3 years has shown no loss in ah capacity
Old 22-08-2022, 20:13   #180

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Myself I actually fully expect my current bank to last st a minimum 20 years before its no longer usable . My current usage before I start induction cooking I use about 2pah per night out of the bank and charged during the day. This usage should drop even more once I install the wind turbine . My 250ah bank currently tests out with iirc 265ah and I won't consider it end of life untill I'm down to 150ah available or possibly a bit lower . Annual tests over the last 3 years has shown no loss in ah capacity
That’s a 40% reduction of rated capacity. I believe accepted standard is 20% reduction and calendar aging of LiFePO4 is 2% per year, so that makes 10 years regardless of cycles.

Tags
electric