Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 08:12   #1

Gas Grills

I have had several magma gas grills, round ones and rectangle ones. I hated everyone. The the stainless discolors quickly, the regulators fail and leak. Is there a better Gas grill available? What are you using?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:26   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: gas grills

A cast iron pan. Gave up on barbecues on boats. My old Magma is in my basement. Have yet to see a boat barbecue that's worth the trouble, and I have seen many of them.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:33   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
A cast iron pan. Gave up on barbecues on boats. My old Magma is in my basement. Have yet to see a boat barbecue that's worth the trouble, and I have seen many of them.
Snap, ours will be on e bay come the Spring.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:49   #4

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

On my 2nd Magma Cabo. The first one replaced an 8 year old Force 10 (no longer in production) and lasted about 4 years. There are several companies in Oz that make very fancy gas grills, but they cost (last time I checked) more than twice what WM charges for the Cabo.
I'm with Vasco in that I'd prefer cooking on a stove top to using a gas grill, but the summers in FL make an outside grill a necessary appliance.
Until I find an alternative I will continue to buy cheap (Magma) and buy often.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:37   #5

Boat: Morris Justine 36'

I chose to go with the Magma without the gas. I use charcoal and love it. Use it all the time. Can cook the usual burgers, steak, chicken, pork chops and also do corn on the cob, grilled vegetables and potatoes. I use Match Light charcoal and sometimes have trouble getting it lit in the wind, so sometimes I borrow a sprinkle of gas from the outboard. I do not have a stove on my boat (J/27) so the bbq is all I have to cook with except a little Jetboil that I use to make french press coffee in the morning.
FecklessDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:51   #6

Re: Gas Grills

I love the BBQ on a boat. I thought my Magmas were as good as any. Better than the Rectangular one I had.. why? because you can put the lid on any side of the BBQ (part open) and protect from the wind. The rectangular unit you cant do that. When the wind blows right into your BBQ ... it doesn't cook!
But... BBQ's get real dirty and messy and are not easily cleaned. Sometimes I think buying the $25 SS cheap unit and deep sixing it when it gets too dirty is the answer! Just put another $25 unit on then!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:54   #7

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

I currently use a gas magma that came with the boat. It's still in good condition and works great after 10 yrs plus. Then again it only seems 4months out of the year use on the weekends. That being said the day it stops working good it will become a charcoal grill, problem solved.

As to stainless discoloring there isn't much you can do about that one, any stainless when heated will do this. I work in a food production plant and any of our high quality food grade 316 stainless does the same thing. If you're really concerned about it you can use abrasives, vinegar, or lemon juice to clean it off but it will just happen again. Either you have to get used to it, or pretend it doesn't exist and put the cover on it.

Leaking regulators on the other hand are kind of scary. What did their customer service say about the leaking regulators? Are they leaking while in use? Or are you storing them with the propane bottle still attached? Seems like they'd at least be able to sell you just the regulator.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:06   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Cobb GB

We have a charcoal Cobb, they do a gas version. Takes a bit of getting used to but well worth the effort.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:45   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

I've got a Magma charcoal grill on one boat, and it works great except for being too small ...

On the Morgan I have an old cast aluminum one that looks like the attached picture... I LOVE IT! It's made by "swing...... " something or other... Left out in the weather for better than10 yrs, looks like hell... but cooks WAY better than a propane Magma-crap...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Springfield-Marine-Co.-Barbecue-Grill-with-Rail-Mount.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	87622  

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:58   #10

This is a little on the heavy side, but I like the Weber Q200 grill. They're fairly thick cast aluminum with a thick cast iron grate, no bare metal except the grate. It has 2 side tables that fold in, you can store a couple of the propane bottles and grill brush/scraper under there as well.

The Q220 has a thermometer and a slightly larger lid, I was limited on space so I bought the 200 and added the thermometer. It can hold the heat well and get fairly hot, the flame is very controllable. I have 2 of them, the first one was about $200 new, the 2nd one I got on craigslist for $50, it looked like it had only been used once.

Another option is the Solaire line of grills, with infrared burners. They're pretty pricey at over $400 for the smallest one, but if you like chicken breasts, nothing seals in the flavor and moisture like an infrared grill. I've had carne asada, tritip and chicken breasts cooked on one, and while everything was very tasty and juicy, the really surprising meal was the chicken. I don't usually like white meat, especially dried out on a grill. This was seared, dripping with juice, the best grilled chicken breast ever.

I was interested in them, until I saw the price. But if you're serious about juicy seared food, check out infrared grills. Char-broil also has home versions with 2 regular burners and 2 infrared burners for a reasonable price. Just have to disassemble it a little and figure out how to mount it.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 13:08   #11

You can buy the Magma valve/regulator for about $30 online. My boat came with a Magma BBQ with a worn out regulator - bought a new one. Easy.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 13:11   #12

PS, I just assumed no-one would be crazy enough to store a camping propane bottle with the regulator attached, in a boat.

The little bottles go in the locker with the large bottles, in case they leak. I keep the regulator in a bag where it can't get damaged.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 13:30   #13

My grill lives on the deck, it hangs outside the rail. I use it most everyday. When I leave the gas bottle on it usually leaks out in a few days. I have replaced 4 regulators already. I my opinion they are junk. On a $65 grill from home depot one can leave the gas connected and it does not leak out
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 13:45   #14

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

We have one of these, made our own brackets to clip it on to the pushpit.
The burner lasts about 2 years, but costs about $15 to replace.
Aluminum cast housing. cost us 99 Euros.
http://www.alperk.com/barbacoas/barbacoasgas.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	portatilgas.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	87623  
Old 03-09-2014, 20:28   #15

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We use a 75 dollar master forge grill from lowes slightly modified to use the magma rail mounts. It had a problem with wind so I bought some aluminized tape and closed up half the air slots. Now she cooks like a dream!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_304040-10792...Master%20Forge

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grill