Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2018, 15:18   #106
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Don't Bogart that Joint... Eh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
We've been quietly buying Fla. for some time now.
We only need it during the winter,so should be no problem,eh!
We send the french speakers in first as spies. They are like "code talkers".
Len

according to a Chief that i know most canadians and americans are immigrants anyway..they just had the bible and more guns
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 16:17   #107

Regarding USCG interdictions off the coast of Maine, here are some words from a Maine lobsterman who was also stopped. Its not just CDN boats.

Drouin said his two sons were also recently stopped when they were fishing in the contentious area around Machias Seal Island, which is about 19 kilometres southwest of Grand Manan Island and east of Maine. It is in a disputed area known as the Grey Zone, where lobster fishermen from both Canada and the United States have long fished side by side.

Drouin, a member of Maine's lobster advisory council, said he witnessed three other vessels that were also stopped and questioned, and has seen several Border Patrol vessels in the area over the last month.

"I honestly do not know what's going on," he said, adding that a directive to patrol the area may be linked to a broader culture change with the election of U.S. President Donald Trump. "We're in a different time. We know he's doing a wonderful job pissing off the rest of the world."
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:20   #108
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
really does america have anything that canada needs that would justify invading
Yes! Canada needs to develop self confidence, (which Americans have an abundance of)
If Canada invaded the USA, it would be most helpful! [emoji111]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:14   #109

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
according to a Chief that i know most canadians and americans are immigrants anyway..they just had the bible and more guns

History repeats itself-if we allow it. / L
Old 25-07-2018, 11:23   #110

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

A well known Canadian business man, when asked at a border crossing what he does admitted to being an investor including marijuana growing companies and he managed his stocks through the Internet, he was turned around and given a 5 year ban from going to his second home in Florida.......so at the border when asked just say NO about anything to do with pot.......
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 11:43   #111

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
A well known Canadian business man, when asked at a border crossing what he does admitted to being an investor including marijuana growing companies and he managed his stocks through the Internet, he was turned around and given a 5 year ban from going to his second home in Florida.......so at the border when asked just say NO about anything to do with pot.......
There have been a few stories like that in the Canadian media of late. It seems that unless the US and Canada governments can get it together, and give clear direction to their respective border guards, that the best advice come October 17th, is to lie when crossing into the USA.

Of course THAT is an offence in itself. But what else is an otherwise law-abiding Canadian citizen or visitor to do?
Old 25-07-2018, 11:44   #112

[QUOTE=Jd1;2656439]

BTW, the Canadian border agent might ask you about smoking pot too but he doesn't care about the answer unless you are impaired at the time (he will seize the pot based on current law). I have never heard of any person being refused entry when they do not have drugs on them but smoked a joint when Jesus was a baby.

But you have heard of Canadian boarder agents refusing entry to a US citizen for being charged with OWI ten years prior haven’t you? I have.
Iaangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 13:19   #113

Boat: Irwin MK III 43ft

Sorry to bust your bubbles, even if cannabis is legal like in Washington state and in Canada ( to be soon) unfortunately, to cross an international border with it is still totally illegal. It falls under the federal statute. The result would be confiscation of the mean of transportation, boat, car, bicycle, horse or mule. Second a criminal charge with incarceration until a trial or bail depending on the amount. So I am asking you ? Do you really want to risk it ??? If you are intent of doing so, please get in touch with a criminal lawyer first.
Riggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 15:08   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggerman View Post
Sorry to bust your bubbles, even if cannabis is legal like in Washington state and in Canada ( to be soon) unfortunately, to cross an international border with it is still totally illegal. It falls under the federal statute. The result would be confiscation of the mean of transportation, boat, car, bicycle, horse or mule. Second a criminal charge with incarceration until a trial or bail depending on the amount. So I am asking you ? Do you really want to risk it ??? If you are intent of doing so, please get in touch with a criminal lawyer first.

Yes... This point was made early on in the thread. My comment refers to the issue about being turned away for admitting you've used cannabis, which after Oct. 17, will be a perfectly legal activity in Canada. It appears the only reasonable approach is to lie about any legal use, which is a ridiculous position to be in.

Obviously it will still be illegal to carry it into the USA.
Old 25-07-2018, 15:38   #115

Boat: Irwin MK III 43ft

Unfortunately border crossing are manned by people with preconceptions. Thus what might be acceptable to one, might not be the same for an other person. In your friend's situation there was an assumption that there might be the possibility of future criminal activity. Confessing to growing cannabis (more then 3 plants, will still be illegal in Canada, and in Quebec there will be no one allowed to grow it) Thus making it a possible future criminal activity. 2 of My friends where turned away at the US border simply because they confessed of smoking grass in the 60's. I was almost got turned away after been asked if I ever was finger printed, until I showed My safety clearance which required the finger printing in question. Crossing a border is also subject with mood swing, I would not want to cross the border when an agent would have just found his wife cheating. I once had to empty food in My motor-home because of food restrictions, never mind that most of the food came from the US in the first place. So yes lying is not a nice thing to do, but those guys have way too much power and there are almost no recourse to their decisions. Border crossing is a serious business.
Riggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 18:55   #116

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Cannabis @ the borders of Canada- FYI-frowned upon. / Len

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...nabis-eng.html
Old 25-07-2018, 19:22   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
My comment refers to the issue about being turned away for admitting you've used cannabis, which after Oct. 17, will be a perfectly legal activity in Canada. It appears the only reasonable approach is to lie about any legal use, which is a ridiculous position to be in.
It's legal NOW, if you have a prescription for medical marijuana... but I don't know whether the US border guards would care about that distinction.

I heard a recent interview on CBC with a Seattle lawyer whose main business is fixing border-crossing problems of Canadians.

The loaded question at the border is "Have you ever consumed cannabis?" (or some variant). Answering 'yes' is sufficient grounds to bar entry, though it's not automatic.

Usually, the question is prompted by other factors - personal appearance, age, dope smell.... but it can also come out of the blue.

His first advice was: don't lie. Lying to a border official, in and of itself, is an offense; it will be recorded if they can catch you in a lie, and that will be a black mark on your file that could take a thousand or more in fees etc to erase.

He said that the best approach is to politely decline to answer that question. The worst that can happen is to be denied entry at that time, but refusing to answer such a question isn't itself a crime, and doesn't automatically block you from trying to cross again at a later time.

Once the novelty of legalization has died down, I expect (hope) that the US will deal with it pragmatically.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 05:50   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
His first advice was: don't lie. Lying to a border official, in and of itself, is an offense; it will be recorded if they can catch you in a lie, and that will be a black mark on your file that could take a thousand or more in fees etc to erase.

He said that the best approach is to politely decline to answer that question. The worst that can happen is to be denied entry at that time, but refusing to answer such a question isn't itself a crime, and doesn't automatically block you from trying to cross again at a later time.

Once the novelty of legalization has died down, I expect (hope) that the US will deal with it pragmatically.
That’s the point… it’s utterly ridiculous to place law abiding citizens in this Catch-22 position. Don’t lie and run the very real risk of being barred entry to the USA, perhaps for life. OR, lie and run the risk of being caught, and then possibly being barred for life.

It’s like we’re in some dystopian novel where it doesn’t matter what you say, you are wrong.
Old 26-07-2018, 08:47   #119
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
But what else is an otherwise law-abiding Canadian citizen or visitor to do?
Stay out of the US, is the answer of those on one side of these culture wars think is perfectly appropriate.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 08:54   #120
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
It's legal NOW, if you have a prescription for medical marijuana...
It most definitely is **not** legal to the Feds, and they are in charge of national border crossings.

Only legal wrt individual State authorities, but DEA/FBI/Homeland can override them and start throwing possessors and sellers in jail wherever and whenever they feel like it.

The "don't lie" advice I would amend with "if there is any objective evidence to the contrary out there that they could ever obtain to contradict your claim"
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote