Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2018, 18:29   #16

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Bread making

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
You can also make bread in a pressure cooker. Fast, uses only a very little LP, and doesn't heat up the inside of your boat quite so bad in a hot climate like using the oven does. There are a few recipes online if you are interested. I tried it a few times and it's pretty good. I need to find a better inner canister. I've been told that a metal coffee can works well.

+1 on using a pressure cooker for baking bread.

BUT, pressure cooker bread does not have a proper crust, particularly on top. So if that’s one of your favourite parts of a loaf, whether appearance and/or texture, bake in an oven.

Since I don’t like kneading I’ve been making overnight no-knead dough. Sweet as, as I like denser breads. Also seems to be a bit more tolerant of stale yeast.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 18:34   #17

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

For homemade bread, especially first timers;-) This is a really good,simple,and almost foolproof method.Click image for larger version

Name:	1521768636673.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	166835Click image for larger version

Name:	1521768714140.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	166837
It just takes time, which most cruisers have.
I have done the last proof in a loaf pan to get the more traditional shape instead of the Dutch oven, and it turned out well.
I've also added cheese, which turned out very good.
Edit, sorry about my dogs nose in the first pic. I guess even the recipe smells good
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 18:48   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbeachbum View Post
Few things are sweeter than the smell of freshly baked bread. A breadmaker, though .. that's a one-trick pony, a uni-tasker, as Alton Brown would say. !
We use our breadmaker to bake cakes and make jam as well as for bread.

We quite often get a loaf going in the morning, go out fishing or crabbing for 3 hours, and come back to a freshly baked loaf.

Fresh caught crab on still warm fresh bread sandwiches for lunch, take some beating.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 19:40   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
You can also make bread in a pressure cooker. Fast, uses only a very little LP, and doesn't heat up the inside of your boat quite so bad in a hot climate like using the oven does. There are a few recipes online if you are interested. I tried it a few times and it's pretty good. I need to find a better inner canister. I've been told that a metal coffee can works well.
Fwiw, I just grease the cooker itself, and bake, not using an inner canister--just remember to remove the gasket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attikos View Post
Pressure cooker breads all are quickbreads, aren't they? Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just different from yeast breads.
No, regular yeast breads, one, two, or three risings. The tops of the loaves require lightly browning as an after-step, for aesthetics. And, of course, the breads are round. It worked fine in the Solomon Is., where I did it most, and wanted relief from the heat.

Ann
Old 23-03-2018, 01:59   #20

Boat: Oyster 66

In my house I use a bread maker. The Sage aka Breville. It’s the only one with full custom programs. It works really well and so much better than others I had. On the boat I have much more free time and make by hand. I enjoy it too and the result is much nicer and better for you than store bread. Less salt, no sugar or preservatives and more fibre if you want. Better texture too.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 04:27   #21

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Fwiw, I just grease the cooker itself, and bake, not using an inner canister--just remember to remove the gasket.

No, regular yeast breads, one, two, or three risings. The tops of the loaves require lightly browning as an after-step, for aesthetics. And, of course, the breads are round. It worked fine in the Solomon Is., where I did it most, and wanted relief from the heat.

Ann
I'm going to have to read up on that and give it a try, then. Thanks for the info!
Attikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 05:45   #22

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoPaul View Post
Apologies if this has been dealt with before. I'm new here and not sure how to search for previous topics. But does anyone have any tips for making bread on board? Thinking about buying a breadmaker but not sure if it will run under 9 volt power? Thanks!
No tips to speak of, other than; skip the "breadmaker"!
But seriously, those things use a boatload of electricity!

Assuming you have an oven onboard, just make your bread the old-fashioned way! It's really very easy and incredibly satisfying... we've been making all our own bread for the last 10+ years!

In case you need a starting point, here's a great recipe for simple "sandwich" bread.

Enjoy!
Old 23-03-2018, 06:00   #23

Boat: Valiant 40

A friend of mine turned me on to the “artisan bread in five minutes a day” concept. You can google it for details. In a nutshell, it’s a no knead one rise approach. You make a big bunch of dough and store it in the fridge and tear off a softball of it everyday to bake. It works based on one bake and the dough in my fridge.

In lieu of an oven stone a cast iron skillet works well. Preheat it in the oven then put your boule in it and off you go.
Old 23-03-2018, 07:26   #24

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Works well, 10 minutes to throw the ingredients in, the machine does the rest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25.10.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	166855  
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 08:10   #25

Boat: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
A friend of mine turned me on to the “artisan bread in five minutes a day” concept. You can google it for details. In a nutshell, it’s a no knead one rise approach. You make a big bunch of dough and store it in the fridge and tear off a softball of it everyday to bake. It works based on one bake and the dough in my fridge
Based on this book: Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day

It's a good book (I have it), and the method works well. But I know people who chuckle at the use of "artisan."

-
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 09:46   #26

Boat: Sabre 38

We do breads onboard once or twice a week. Half are quick breads that only take an hour or so to rise. My favorite is a sourdough, but it takes 24 hours and requires a starter, which I grew in Florida and is still kicking in PR.

I cook in an electric oven using a genny and inverter. Sourdough goes into a Dutch oven, which then goes into the electric oven. This allows me to steam the bread at 450 degrees, which is needed for a crusty bread.

Cheers

sailingcity2sea.com

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 09:55   #27

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
We do breads onboard once or twice a week. Half are quick breads that only take an hour or so to rise. My favorite is a sourdough, but it takes 24 hours and requires a starter, which I grew in Florida and is still kicking in PR.
Where/how do you store your starter on board?

I had a starter for years while on land, but sadly let it die one time when I left it too long.
Old 23-03-2018, 10:00   #28

Boat: Hunter 386

+1 for no knead breads. The buns were made in a more traditional fashion and weren't half as good as the boule! They are almost foolproof. And the dough is great for pizzas as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6515.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	419.0 KB
ID:	166858   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6954.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	166859  

Old 23-03-2018, 10:07   #29

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Publix sells sprouted bread for $4 a loaf so that's my main stay. I put half a loaf in a half-gallon mason jar and vacuum seal so it doesn't get moldy. But when I run out I make a flat bread (no yeast)with all sorts of flour. cornmeal- Masa, almond, coconut, rolled oatmeal etc etc and one of my favorites is to cook several pounds of potatoes in my solar oven and mash them and add some (50/50) to the flour and make flat potato bread in my Skillet. 5 minutes or less on one side and three minutes on the other sideClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180321_131952.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	166860
I know a few more ingredients are in the photo than mentioned but that's what makes it awesome! PS mashing up sweet potatoes and steamed cauliflower with the potatoes makes it even more nutritious 😎PSS I make up a big batch and put it in my fridge and within minutes I have a meal 🤔 that's meant to be an emoji of a guy burping politely
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 11:42   #30

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

If cooking method or fuel usage is an issue, most bread doughs, including the one I listed above, can be cooked as a flathead or naan on the bbq.
For last rise make into golf ball sized balls.
After rising, stretch flat like a pizza dough and place on hot grill. Brush with butter(and garlic if you like) flip after 45-60 seconds. Brush that side too. Done in another 45-60 seconds.
Very quick and easy if you are already grilling dinner.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote