Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2003, 12:11   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Quincofish
Lightbulb BBQ's

I have recently acquired a "Cobb BBQ". Very interesting, made in Sth Africa, came with a rail mount. The BBQ has a plastic insulated outer which means it is cool to touch even when operating. Uses heat beads for fuel, or corn cobbs, hence the name. Has a dome lid and also a "moat" under the grill for water, vegetables, stock etc. Works brilliantly, can also be used as a smoker.
http://www.cobbamerica.com/?http://w.../aboutmain.htm

The distributor in Melbourne Australia sells it as a marine BBQ and provides a Stainless Steel mount complete with small "work surface". He also provides, as well as the grill a solid "frying pan" top. All up with a bag, mount, frying pan and cook book around $400 AUS.
Quincofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2003, 08:39   #2

A friend gave me a Magma less the regulator ($22.50 U.S.) and I really like it. The small bottles of propane are safe and easy to store on my boat. Also, there is no mess from charcoal and such. I put davit like rails over the transom and mounted the solar panel and the grill on them.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:43   #3

Charcoal on a boat is a high-risk item. It has been known to spontaneous combust. The moisture can be a problem unless you can keep it in a sealed metal container. The regulator that you fine on the Magma BBQ is the same one used on the $8-9 BBQ’s that Wal-Mart and Riteaid stores sell. Just buy one of these and toss the bbq, but keep the reg.

Pete
S/V Murphy’s Lawyer
kd7lmq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 20:36   #4

Damn, ya live and learn.
thanks, good to know :cubalibre
Old 03-10-2003, 08:03   #5

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Expensive BBQs?

I was set to buy a Force 10 or equivalent marine BBQ, when an old and experienced fellow said that the $9-19 Canadian Tire or Walmart ones work better, and last almost as long. When it isn't working, go get another. None of them work well in a windstorm anyway.

Luckily, I have a multihull with lots of room. I can set up the cheapo anywhere.

Still, gotta think that we ought to try out the cheapo before laying out the coin for the deluxe.

Get to the hook, and get everything (and everybody) properly cooked.

Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 03:52   #6

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS
Re: BBQ's

For those using the Cobb, has anyone found a grill that cn be used over the heat rather than fry? We've just bought one and I think it will work for us, but I'd like the ability to grill.

Any other wisdom from experienced users would be appreciated too.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 19:08   #7

Obviously none of y'all are from the south. BBQ is something you eat, not something you cook on.
bgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 19:34   #8

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgriffin View Post
Obviously none of y'all are from the south. BBQ is something you eat, not something you cook on.
I'm a Northerner and I even know that!! The knowledge came from cooking in BBQ contests in the South.

BTW, had alot of trouble keeping a Force 10 grill, transon rail mounted, lit in anything over 5 knots. Someone should engineer a bullit proof gas grill for a boat. Also, the Force 10 rusted out in one year of sailing on salt water.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 20:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
For those using the Cobb, has anyone found a grill that cn be used over the heat rather than fry? We've just bought one and I think it will work for us, but I'd like the ability to grill.

Any other wisdom from experienced users would be appreciated too.
Cobb Premier Portable Grill Store - The Cobb Fenced Roasting Rack for the Cobb Portable Charcoal Grill and Cooking System

Things I have learned using the Cobb:

- one load of charcoal will give you about 60 minutes of heat
- For high heat (steaks, etc) do not add water to the well
- For low heat (whole chicken, etc) add water to the well

I have done tri-tip, whole chickens, pork tenderloins, steaks, vegetables, and many others on the included grill plate, but I agree the rack would be nice.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:43   #10

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

FYI, Cobb makes a rack now for direct-heat grilling. We found it at a Cobb store this fall. We haven't tried it yet though; got busy with other things.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 17:29   #11

Boat: Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7lmq View Post
Charcoal on a boat is a high-risk item. It has been known to spontaneous combust. The moisture can be a problem unless you can keep it in a sealed metal container. The regulator that you fine on the Magma BBQ is the same one used on the $8-9 BBQ’s that Wal-Mart and Riteaid stores sell. Just buy one of these and toss the bbq, but keep the reg.

Pete
S/V Murphy’s Lawyer
Any references to this 'spontaneous combustion' ? Maybe adding a bit of water to the charcoal storage would stop this. The starter brick/lighter in the stove should evaporate the water in the charcoal as it heats up the charcoal.

Thoughts ?
cruisingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 17:28   #12

Boat: Still building

For those on a budget and perhaps unable (or unwilling) to shell out for one of those swingeingly expensive S/S marine BBQs, this is a usable and cost-effective alternative.

The 'briefcase-style' butane stove cost me AUD$25, and the BBQ plate a further $25. Only ever seen them the once, in one of those market stalls that sell everything, but search around....

As an aside and seriously off topic, I also use the stove for my car travel 'picnic box', as I am unable to go more than an hour or two without a cup of Twinings Orange Pekoe and an Arnotts Ginger Nut biscuit. I also carry a small cooler with freezer 'bricks' to keep fresh milk cool.

Note the 'Chinese Hoodlum Gangs' (billy lifters), so named by my wise-cracking father who heard that 'tongs' were a name for gangs of Chinese hoodlums....
....and the William Canister (billy) which was actually owned by my father and was used by him exclusively for tea making. In the bush you add the tea to the billy of boiling water, but never swing it around your head - inviting trouble - simply tap the side of the billy with the hoodlum gangs to settle the tea leaves.

NB: If searching for the Arnotts Ginger Nuts be SURE to buy only those made in the Sydney NSW factory, as the same-packaged item elsewhere in Oz is a poor imitation and at best should be called Ginger Snaps, which is what they do as soon as you attempt to dunk them , unlike the NSW ones.

I have a pommie mate who, having discovered them whilst here, requests regular shipments of them to him in the UK. They are more-ish indeed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Butane BBQ.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	71015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picnic box.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	415.1 KB
ID:	71016  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ginger Nuts.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	71017  
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 17:45   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i use charcoal. good ol' mexican mesquite -- bits of tree limbs. awesome stuff.
i have never known charcoal to spontaneously ignite--hell i cant always get it to light with boom juice and persistence and matches!!
keep it in water tight containers and it is just fine n dandy.

i use the charcoal preferably in a weber smokey joe kettle bbq. i use a flooring tile under the kettle to prevent deck problems.
i do not bbq under way.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 17:51   #14

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i use the charcoal preferably in a weber smokey joe kettle bbq..
...and presumably on deck or in the cockpit, rather than in the galley...???
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 17:57   #15

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post

BTW, had alot of trouble keeping a Force 10 grill, transon rail mounted, lit in anything over 5 knots. Someone should engineer a bullit proof gas grill for a boat. Also, the Force 10 rusted out in one year of sailing on salt water.
Magmas do pretty well in windy conditions. My grill use wind limit (Magma Kettle Grill) is about 20 knots.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barbecue

« Toaster | Garbage »