Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2013, 18:01   #16

Boat: Still building
Re: BBQ's

Mine works in the galley with the companion door closed.....what wind???
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 18:06   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Personally really don't like solid fuels like charcoal aboard. Can be a big mess and storage problem. Once helping clean up a boat after a charter. Guests had brought aboard a huge bag (paper) of charcoal, used a few ozs and left the other 25lbs in the bag down in a lazarette. When we started lifting the bag, the bottom failed and dumped 25lbs of charcoal and charcoal dust into the lazarette.

Charcoal was baned aboard all boats in the fleet after that.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 18:23   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincofish View Post
I have recently acquired a "Cobb BBQ". Very interesting, made in Sth Africa, came with a rail mount. The BBQ has a plastic insulated outer which means it is cool to touch even when operating. Uses heat beads for fuel, or corn cobbs, hence the name. Has a dome lid and also a "moat" under the grill for water, vegetables, stock etc. Works brilliantly, can also be used as a smoker.
http://www.cobbamerica.com/?http://w.../aboutmain.htm

The distributor in Melbourne Australia sells it as a marine BBQ and provides a Stainless Steel mount complete with small "work surface". He also provides, as well as the grill a solid "frying pan" top. All up with a bag, mount, frying pan and cook book around $400 AUS.
What the hell, Dave... fancy meeting you here! Hope all is well with you and Rose.

As far as grills go, gas is so much easier for this lazy old fart that there is no choice. When I really want some smoke I throw in some chips... it is kinda messy but works ok for us.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 24-11-2013, 19:25   #19

Boat: Swarbrick 40

I am currently selling my 2 year old Gas Magma BBQ with rail mounts. Its on Gumtree if your interested.
I am replacing it with a Baby Weber Q. There are a couple of things on it that I will change to stainless but mostly I think its allready made for the boat, apart from the legs which pose a bit of a challenge.
I have designed a mounting system for it here are some pics if your interested. Its currently being made up and should be ready in a week or so.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket2a.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	71022
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket3.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	71023
Old 24-11-2013, 20:47   #20

About the charcoal spontaneous combustion I picked up a bag of charcoal that the bottom was wet when the bottom fell out I started scooping the mess it was so hot it was burning my hands and steaming which mad me think the water heater had a leak which was not leaking and surrounding water was cold this was a puzzler until I found out about it being possible to spontaneous combust
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 04:50   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

mebbe i am just smarter and keep my mesquite charcoal in a cool dark DRY place in a water pruf bag....lol...is easily purchased here and is mesquite. i use no briquettes impregnated with bs....i will not use kingsford briquets.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barbecue

« Toaster | Garbage »