Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2016, 17:25   #31
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Zeppelin bend - dissimilar sized ropes?

The zeppelin is very *airy which means it's easy to snag an open accidentally. This is why the Alpine Butterfly is a superior knot and why climbers prefer it over the Zeppelin.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 22:33   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
SWL,
I just couldn't do it myself and probably won't put that much time into learning the knot in the future. With our boat I haven't in the past had a situation which would lead to needing this knot.

The need to tie two lines together is not a daily or even weekly thing, but when required, it may be in an emergency and will occasionally then be underwater (extending med mooring lines etc).

Other than the Alpine Butterfly (and that be slow to dress in thick stiff line, as was used in this example) nothing else comes close. Bowlines can shake loose underwater when load is continually applied and released (that is often the situation with underwater uses).

It is well worth adding to the knots you know, but if we ever meet I promise there will not be an exam .

Quote:
With respect to the bowlines though, I do disagree. I'm pretty fast at tying them, never had one even come close to slipping, always been easy to untie, and if the last 5% of rope strength is lost in the selection of knot, I chose the wrong rope to begin with.
This is an example of a bowline binding when a sudden load had been applied. I had to cut this off. I know it looks nothing like a bowline, but this is how it appears if it capsizes:

Quote:
It's crazy how with your zep bend that it doesn't tighten more though. I'd have thought after a night of snubbing that the gaps would have pulled closed.
After 2-3 days the collar was still "open" (a hole is visible in the nylon portion if you enlarge the image). You can see by the thinning of the nylon standing part that considerable load is being applied here:

It undid easily with one hand after holding our boat. It is an absolutely brilliant knot. I would not trust our boat to anything else:

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:36   #33

Boat: Club Sailor; various

The Zeppelin bend, like many sailing knots, would be a lot easier to tie with 3 hands.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope, size