Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2023, 19:51   #31

Re: Winter Sailing in Alaska

Na, To cold, to wet, to windy. Far to often.

There are some nice days but most aren’t at this time of year.
Is it possible, yeah I guess so, if you know the area and the weather.
I don’t sail in Alaska. I am bit further south in Northern BC. I would think it’s much the same.

Is all well and good talking about the storms. Ect.
The outflows are the worst. When you think the weather will be good.

Personally I wouldn’t. I’d wait until spring.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2023, 19:17   #32

Boat: Hans Christian 41
Re: Winter Sailing in Alaska

You have a beautiful boat! I just found your post. We are currently at Hoonah, living aboard. We have sailed between AK and New Zealand as well has commercial fished SE Alaska for many years. Ketchikan is doable in the winter IF… you take your time and plan on being stuck for a week at a time or more waiting for weather. Why in the winter? It definitely would not be a “pleasure cruise” by any stretch of the imagination. Here are the challenges:
1. It’s stormy, and even the inner channels can really be challenging. It’s not just the seas, but going against current/tide will make travel a nightmare. Lows and fronts trot one after another. Right now there is only 6.5 hours of daylight, but much darker when you add in low clouds. You will have to navigate in the dark for parts of your trip. Plan on being stuck in an anchorage for a week at a time… or if your are lucky, on a dock. Many transit docks have no water or electricity in the winter, so you will have to really plan out your power needs and water. Plan on ice building up around your anchor/dock lines.
2. When the weather is settled, there is still possibility of sloppy chop… and the possibility of icing conditions… really bad scene on any boat.
3. Good luck getting cell/VHF in many of the areas you will be holed up in. Winter is really no other boats around, so you will have to be very independent and will be totally on your own.
4. About the time you think you have a weather window… the weather report is wrong, and another gale/storm moves in. The weather reports are often accurate to only about 24 hours out.
5. Between Juneau and KTN, you need to transit Chatham, Lynn Canal, Frederick Sound, and oh… Sumner…. These areas are notorious for seas piling up and when you do get into narrow passages, the squirrely current and wind can really push you around… not good when entering or leaving a narrow section.

That being said, short trips are very doable. It’s a day trip from Auk Bay to Hoonah. From Hoonah to Sitka is an over-nighter by the time you time Peril Straits. Popping into Tracy Arm for an overnighter would be fun in the right weather. You may be able to hop around to Bartlett Cove (Glacier Bay) but plan on ice. As spring rolls around, there will be better opportunities to get out especially in late March and April when the daylight improves.

I wish you the best of luck and happy sailing!
Tender Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, sail, sailing, winter