Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2021, 13:07   #46

Re: Where/When to set anchor alarm

Our Vespar AIS unit has a anchor alarm function in the app. Since the Vespar is attached to the boat, this has removed the issue of the smartphones placement causing issues as well as issue if the smartphone dies (since the Vespar is using the boats GPS data. I can view it on all our smart devices (phones, iPads, etc.)

Something to keep in mind if you are needing to buy an AIS unit as well.
captNordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 13:58   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
Do you set your anchor alarm at the point where you drop the anchor or do you set it at the point where you would like to be/stay?

I normally set my anchor then drift back to where I would like to be. This is the point of reference I use to set my alarm. As we have a cat that likes to wonder, even with a bridal, I use the mid point of her wondering as my reference for the alarm. I usually place a waypoint where I drop the anchor.

My wife and kids are busy with their skippers tickets and they are being taught to set your anchor alarm at the point you drop your anchor.

I disagree. Am I wrong???

My argument is that I do not drop my anchor where I want to lay. I drop it with the aim of lying where I end up. So I set my alarm to warn me when I move away from where I want to be.
Yes your wrong !
Your wife , kids and the teacher are correct ( for obvious reasons )
riv4pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 15:58   #48
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Here’s some supporting evidence to set the alarm circle centered on anchor position
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D6457034-B076-4F37-B2F3-C5F216F9FB55.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	392.9 KB
ID:	237361  

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 17:52   #49

Like so much of boating, the answer to this is "it depends".

What is it that you want the alarm to tell you?

A) You've dragged the anchor
Set the alarm center point to where you dropped the anchor and the radius to be the amount of scope you've let out. (if you want to be more accurate, set the radius to the square root of rode-length squared minus depth of anchor squared), but that's a bit much. The only way you can go outside that circle is if the anchor moves - i.e. you've dragged it.

B) You are concerned about drifting into something that is within reach of your rhode even if the anchor doesn't move
Set the alarm center point to wherever you come to rest after setting the anchor. Set the radius to the maximum distance towards the _nearest_ object of concern, minus a safety/warning margin. You may get false alarms due to drifting away from your little area (for example towards the anchor) even if the anchor itself remains firmly set.

However, I've been looking for a project and I think I'll make an anchor alarm that will allow me to geofence - i.e. set a random perimeter where, if the boat wanders out of there, I get an alarm. That will let me pull it in close to my stern so I know if I'm dragging anchor, and let me expand the area in other direction to deal with wandering. Maybe add a second mode in which I put a fence around things that are scary so that the alarm goes off if I get near them, plus will alarm if I drag anchor. Hmmmmm
CyKlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 21:11   #50

Just do it right and keep it simple. Mark the anchor where you drop it and make your circle the length of your rode. You shouldn’t be anchoring anywhere where where you cant swing 360 degrees around your anchor.
HansChristian33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 03:47   #51

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansChristian33 View Post
Just do it right and keep it simple. Mark the anchor where you drop it and make your circle the length of your rode. You shouldn’t be anchoring anywhere where where you cant swing 360 degrees around your anchor.
Pretty bold statement. It doesn't match reality when cruising. In tradewind areas, you often anchor with the knowledge you aren't going to swing 180. In other areas, especially places with excessive reefs with steep drop offs, you often have no choice but to find the patch of sand available and hope (and monitor) that you won't get spun around from a squall.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 04:58   #52
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

If hope is all there is between being anchored safely or be grounded on a reef when the wind swings around then you don’t need an alarm either.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 06:22   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansChristian33 View Post
There are multiple circumstances in which you'd want to know if you moved from a local area and simply _shouldn't_ swing more than some number of degrees:

1. Anchoring in a river
2. Anchoring in a lake
3. Stern tied
4. Forked moor

etc. etc. etc.

Admittedly, these are special cases
CyKlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 09:02   #54

Boat: Sunwind 20

Quote:
I normally set my anchor then drift back to where I would like to be.
Also, in the current position of the boat when she takes a more or less stable position. We are interested in where the boat drift. Anchor may be far away.
Grigory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 16:13   #55

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Setting at the drop point is, of course, far more precise, but it all depends how you use it. I don’t use it as a precision tool.
I'm a total novice, but what I've been doing is using Aqua Map. I keep forgetting to use the auto function to record the drop so, I acquire my position with the GPS, point my iPad in the direction of the anchor, and tell it how much rode is out.

This puts the center of the circle where the anchor is. Then I give it some buffer, say 15% and watch it for a while.

As you'll see from a thread I just started, I've drug a few times in the last couple of weeks. This method:

1) Helped me identify a dragging situation before even 10' had drug
2) Doesn't go off when the boat rotates through 180' over night
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 16:36   #56

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
I'm a total novice, but what I've been doing is using Aqua Map. I keep forgetting to use the auto function to record the drop so, I acquire my position with the GPS, point my iPad in the direction of the anchor, and tell it how much rode is out.

This puts the center of the circle where the anchor is. Then I give it some buffer, say 15% and watch it for a while.

As you'll see from a thread I just started, I've drug a few times in the last couple of weeks. This method:

1) Helped me identify a dragging situation before even 10' had drug
2) Doesn't go off when the boat rotates through 180' over night

This is actually pretty cool. I’d use that.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 16:58   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post

I do the same on an Android device with SlimJim's Anchor Alert.
(No connection, just a happy user )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AA1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	239618   Click image for larger version

Name:	aa2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	239619  

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote