Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2020, 09:52   #1

Boat: Shannon 28
What do you do different offshore?

Question for those with extended offshore experience:

I understand there is a huge difference in offshore passagemaking vs sailing in protected waters when it comes to the following:

-absolute self reliance required (repairs, first aid, etc)
-having 2nd and 3rd backups to critical systems (handheld GPS, sextant, etc)
-preparations and experience jury rigging rudder and standing rigging, etc
-not being able to go home when foul weather approaches.

-sailing in much more significant weather events (utilizing heavy weather tactics)

I'm less curious about those aspects, because they seem fairly clear and are well documented.

But in your experience, what is different about actually sailing and navigating your vessel safely, when you go offshore? How is that different from inshore or protected waters?

Right now, my cruising grounds consist of the Chesapeake. I'll be honest, it's fairly challenging sailing at night because of traffic, and during the day I dont' go below for more than 5-10 minutes, tops. There are always boats hauling ass around me, and fishing areas popping up (in real life, but not on maps) that I need to keep wary of. The situation changes rapidly sometimes. There's a lot of things that appeal to me about heading out to less congested waters than this bay (ie the Atlantic). What things should I worry about? What things can I train and prepare for?

Thank you for sharing your experience!
ArmySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 09:56   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1
Re: What do you do different offshore?

I do not have any comments to make, as I am in the same situation as you. I have been sailing on the Chesapeake Bay for a few years and it is most enjoyable. But I am planning to go off shore at some point. Hope this thread gets lots of posts!
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 10:03   #3

Boat: Hylas 49

I'm also based in the Chesapeake, but prefer being offshore.

The big difference is getting into a watch schedule with your crew. Everyone onboard must be capable of taking the helm for several hours by themselves.

I recommend the Safety at Sea course held at the Naval Academy every spring.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 10:04   #4

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Managed a whole month in the Atlantic without seeing or speaking with another person.Daily navigation didn’t need to be too exact as nothing to hit.Got lucky,nothing broke.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 10:06   #5

The one thing always is that I am always clipped in offshore, when above decks. I can’t imagine a worse feeling than watching your boat keep going from the water, hoping my wife comes up and checks on me before I get out of sight.
Old 25-08-2020, 10:10   #6

As a bonus, here is some offshore planning / prep I've done. Please shoot it full of holes.

Here are things I'm prepared for:

-Diesel trouble shooting / basic repairs
-reefing, heaving to, using sea anchor, using storm sail
-night light identification drills and practice
-tested sailing / nav / commo for 48 with no power (and food prep) all ok.

-AIS (transponder, not just receiver) and radar familiarization and functioning (proximity alarms and weather)
-celestial nav: competent in noon shots, getting there with star shots dusk/dawn

things I know I need to work on:
-using a drogue
-using anchor to kedge off if grounded (I know, not offshore, but still need to learn this)
-retrieving anchor under sail alone (ditto, above)
-learn how to climb the mast (would only be done absolute emergency off shore)

I also replaced all standing rigging last year, every single part, and now can inspect all chain plates easily. New furling jib. Stay'sl will remain hank on - do not want furling.

I need to find a way to get weather offshore. Maybe a sat phone and subscription to simple GRIB file service. View on ipad? I still haven't figured this part out.

Please red-team this, salty sailors
Old 25-08-2020, 10:11   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

My offshore is far less than many here, but we've done many 24hr+ sails, and a few longer. My longest has been three days crossing the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

Offshore is far easier navigation wise. Inshore is where the hazards are; boats, ships, fishing vessels, nets, and all the rocky bits. Offshore you're away from most of that. Issues are weather systems, prevailing winds and currents, and where you want to go.

Most of the places we've cruised, and 'offshored' there is little chance of meeting anyone, but a steady lookout is still required. For us, the biggest challenge is maintaining a viable watch system with only two of us on board. Our boat really isn't large enough to bring on unknown crew. We could sail with a good friend/family member, but so far it's always been just the two of us. Unfortunately we have different sleeping patterns/needs, so finding the right watch rotation has been a challenge.
Old 25-08-2020, 10:12   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
The one thing always is that I am always clipped in offshore, when above decks. I can’t imagine a worse feeling than watching your boat keep going from the water, hoping my wife comes up and checks on me before I get out of sight.

Thank you! Concur. I'm always clipped on when alone. (well....ok...ok...not when sitting in the cockpit going .5 knots. I do unsnap then. just being honest)

But I forgot that. yes, I have jacklines rigged, amidships, NOT on the sides. I physically cannot fall of the boat if clipped in. (unless something fails).
Old 25-08-2020, 10:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
My offshore is far less than many here, but we've done many 24hr+ sails, and a few longer. My longest has been three days crossing the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

Offshore is far easier navigation wise. Inshore is where the hazards are; boats, ships, fishing vessels, nets, and all the rocky bits. Offshore you're away from most of that. Issues are weather systems, prevailing winds and currents, and where you want to go.

Most of the places we've cruised, and 'offshored' there is little chance of meeting anyone, but a steady lookout is still required. For us, the biggest challenge is maintaining a viable watch system with only two of us on board. Our boat really isn't large enough to bring on unknown crew. We could sail with a good friend/family member, but so far it's always been just the two of us. Unfortunately we have different sleeping patterns/needs, so finding the right watch rotation has been a challenge.

Thanks for your input. I've seen your posts over the years here and I value your opinion. Ditto on longest passage, mine was 5 days straight up the Chessie. I was alone, and anchored at night. And boy, was I sleepy and tired most of the time SO I need to add "figure out how to maintain an acceptable balance of risk vs watch time" for myself. I will be solo. Watch rotation challenge, noted!

I also look forward to fewer navigation (piloting?) challenges

I plan to follow prevailing winds during the appropriate seasons. I shouldn't be going head into wind for weeks. hopeully
Old 25-08-2020, 10:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
I'm also based in the Chesapeake, but prefer being offshore.

The big difference is getting into a watch schedule with your crew. Everyone onboard must be capable of taking the helm for several hours by themselves.

I recommend the Safety at Sea course held at the Naval Academy every spring.

I will be solo. But definitely am looking up the course. THANK YOU.
Old 25-08-2020, 10:18   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

Everything is different. You are asking too broad a question to address sensibly.

If I were to sum up our ocean experience in very few words, I would try like this:

- it is easier (compared to coasting),
- it is safer (again vs. coasting),
- it is more fun (to us, but not so to most).

Otherwise its (technically) like any other sailing, but mentally it is completely the opposite of coastal or day sailing.

Technically it is not, well, maybe except for water tank capacity, and general storage capacity. Heading offshore you need to carry drinkable water for the whole passage - and many offshore passages will last 14 - 40 days (and more, ours longest was 72 days). So you need drinking WATER and then also some amount off food to last the passage.

To sum up, I think the biggest difference is the mental one. Most people get very very bored, but those few who like being offshore actually love it. Psychology, not technology is where the biggest difference is, imho, between shore sailing and offshore sailing.

Technically, you need a strong, well sailing and safe boat - identical requirements inshore and offshore.

Repairs you will do if you have too, but your aim is to have a strong, well prepared boat, and break nothing. Mind if a repair is major, it may be impossible offshore. Hence, the same attitude is required inshore and offshore.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 10:24   #12

Boat: Morgan 382

When offshore, you spend much less time "sailing" and more time "living." I have gone 10 days with not so much as touching sheet trim. The boat sailed, conditions didn't change, and I just ignored it and did other things. That was probably a less common length of time, but it's common to only make a small adjustment three times a day, morning/afternoon/night for example. The difficult conditions we spend so much time worrying about rarely happen with good planning (but we still need to be capable of dealing with them).

So it becomes finding ways to pass the time. Books, movies, cooking, cleaning, boat maintenance. Sailing inshore or nearshore those "living" things are usually done in port or at anchor. And sailing is more demanding of attention and doesn't leave as much time to just relax.
Old 25-08-2020, 10:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Everything is different. You are asking too broad a question to address sensibly.

If I were to sum up our ocean experience in very few words, I would try like this:

- it is easier (compared to coasting),
- it is safer (again vs. coasting),
- it is more fun (to us, but not so to most).

Otherwise its (technically) like any other sailing, but mentally it is completely the opposite of coastal or day sailing.

Technically it is not, well, maybe except for water tank capacity, and general storage capacity. Heading offshore you need to carry drinkable water for the whole passage - and many offshore passages will last 14 - 40 days (and more, ours longest was 72 days). So you need drinking WATER and then also some amount off food to last the passage.

To sum up, I think the biggest difference is the mental one. Most people get very very bored, but those few who like being offshore actually love it. Psychology, not technology is where the biggest difference is, imho, between shore sailing and offshore sailing.

Technically, you need a strong, well sailing and safe boat - identical requirements inshore and offshore.

Repairs you will do if you have too, but your aim is to have a strong, well prepared boat, and break nothing. Mind if a repair is major, it may be impossible offshore. Hence, the same attitude is required inshore and offshore.

barnakiel

This is AWESOME. Thank you. This is very helpful and was basically what I was looking for from somebody with your experience. Confirming that there isn't anything technically that will confound me, but focus on the mental preparation (and provisioning for longer periods...which is something I'm not experienced in)
Old 25-08-2020, 10:41   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySailor View Post
Thanks for your input. I've seen your posts over the years here and I value your opinion. Ditto on longest passage, mine was 5 days straight up the Chessie. I was alone, and anchored at night. And boy, was I sleepy and tired most of the time SO I need to add "figure out how to maintain an acceptable balance of risk vs watch time" for myself. I will be solo. Watch rotation challenge, noted!
Very kind of you to say Army. Thanks .

Soloing while passage making is not something I've done. Soloing coastal (anchoring every night), for sure. But many do solo while passage making. I'm happy (and lucky) not to have to. Personally, I find that doing anything solo on the boat is not just twice as hard, it's usually three or four times as difficult. I'm happy to be part of a cruising couple .

I would think a solo sailor has to focus on remaining rested, while also attending to all the necessities of maintaining a decent watch. Here's where technology helps (RADAR, AIS).

Don't underestimate or undervalue the need for good, yummy food while underway. We continue to cook full meals as long as conditions allow. But cooking while the boat is under hard press can be a challenge. This means having a good, functional galley that is usable in a wide range of angles.
Old 25-08-2020, 10:44   #15

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Question for those with extended offshore experience:

I understand there is a huge difference in offshore passagemaking vs sailing in protected waters when it comes to the following:

-absolute self reliance required (repairs, first aid, etc)
-having 2nd and 3rd backups to critical systems (handheld GPS, sextant, etc)
-preparations and experience jury rigging rudder and standing rigging, etc
-not being able to go home when foul weather approaches.

-sailing in much more significant weather events (utilizing heavy weather tactics)

I'm less curious about those aspects, because they seem fairly clear and are well documented.

But in your experience, what is different about actually sailing and navigating your vessel safely, when you go offshore? How is that different from inshore or protected waters?

Right now, my cruising grounds consist of the Chesapeake. I'll be honest, it's fairly challenging sailing at night because of traffic, and during the day I dont' go below for more than 5-10 minutes, tops. There are always boats hauling ass around me, and fishing areas popping up (in real life, but not on maps) that I need to keep wary of. The situation changes rapidly sometimes. There's a lot of things that appeal to me about heading out to less congested waters than this bay (ie the Atlantic). What things should I worry about? What things can I train and prepare for?

Thank you for sharing your experience!
Quote:
As a bonus, here is some offshore planning / prep I've done. Please shoot it full of holes.

Here are things I'm prepared for:

-Diesel trouble shooting / basic repairs
-reefing, heaving to, using sea anchor, using storm sail
-night light identification drills and practice
-tested sailing / nav / commo for 48 with no power (and food prep) all ok.

-AIS (transponder, not just receiver) and radar familiarization and functioning (proximity alarms and weather)
-celestial nav: competent in noon shots, getting there with star shots dusk/dawn

things I know I need to work on:
-using a drogue
-using anchor to kedge off if grounded (I know, not offshore, but still need to learn this)
-retrieving anchor under sail alone (ditto, above)
-learn how to climb the mast (would only be done absolute emergency off shore)

I also replaced all standing rigging last year, every single part, and now can inspect all chain plates easily. New furling jib. Stay'sl will remain hank on - do not want furling.

I need to find a way to get weather offshore. Maybe a sat phone and subscription to simple GRIB file service. View on ipad? I still haven't figured this part out.

Please red-team this, salty sailors
ArmySailor, good work and good thinking trying to prepare yourself for offshore sailing.

Many of the items on your lists have to do with self sufficiency and contingency.

However, you probably won't need them all the time, or maybe even very often.

But sailing offshore presents some real and ongoing differences and challenges.

In many ways it is easier; you have less worry about running aground and traffic is often less in the ocean (but not always, there are shipping lanes).

After sailing inshore for many years we were excited to go offshore and out of sight of land the first time. Then we discovered it was just like sailing inshore.

On the other hand you are going to be out there longer, so weather changes can be expected. Yes, you need to have a way to obtain weather forecasts. Grib files are excellent.

You need a way to maintain a proper lookout, not only for other vessels but for changing weather and sea conditions as well. If there is more than one person on board you need a good watch schedule. If you are alone then fatigue must be dealt with. Single handers usually take rests in the cockpit with some timing device to wake them every few minutes. Even then fatigue can cause errors in judgement.

Personal safety is an issue. You have to develop a routine and discipline for use of safety devices such as harnesses and tethers.

Self steering is important, either with autopilot or windvane, You won't be steering for the duration of an offshore passage.

You vessel must be equipped to operate for extended lengths of time. This usually means electrical power but other systems may also become stressed if in use for days. You will have to monitor lines and sails for wear and chafe. Check bilges, fluid levels, and batteries. Generally you need to stay ahead of everything, because you will not be able to go ashore and come back next weekend to deal with things left unfixed.

Redundancy of essential equipment is critical. You must think through how you will deal with failures, if they occur, of every system on the boat. Either with spare parts or work arounds.

And you must develop the skills an confidence to deal with the rough weather and usually bigger seas that you can encounter offshore.

For me, I have to deal with boredom and a sore bottom from sitting all the time, and without Internet, I do more reading.

Tags
offshore