Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2017, 00:45   #1

Boat: Lagoon 420
Whale Dangers?

We are new to the Cruising lifestyle and currently making our way up the East Australian Coast for the first time. We are very much enjoying sightings of whales, some up quite close, that makes me wonder about the safety of being near them! Difficult to avoid as sometime they can be spotted all around. They seem faster than our 6-7 knots so not sure how I can keep out of their way! Seems not many reports of collisions, so am I overly worrying about a low risk situation? Are they trying to keep out of my way, or is that my job? If under power should I dethrottle when they are near, or keep going so they can hear me? Enjoying the encounters but they are a lot bigger than us! Would love to hear others thoughts or experiences.
PiratePete56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 01:00   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Whale Dangers ?

For the most part they know where you are, & where you're headed, especially under power. And I've been within rock throwing distance of them more times than I've had birthdays, without incident. Knock on wood. But as with anything, avoid a mother with a baby if you can. Although at times they may take a passing interest in you. Just enjoy their company, & respect them as you would anything, or anyone, else.

Also, if you're truly concerned, you can study up on their behavior. But signs of agitation are pretty much universal, regardless of species. In the water or on land. 2 legs, or 4.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 01:59   #3

Boat: currently boatless

G'day Pirate Pete,

Last year we has so many close calls during an overnight trip from Coffs Harbour Southport we vowed never to do a night sail in whale migration season. We had whales breaching all around us at one stage in total darkness scaring the crap out of me. All you see is a black mass exploding out of the water. One breached within 20 metres off our stern. It was spectacular but unerving at the same time.
A short time later on the same night I had just changed over watch with the wife when I heard commontion and when I went to investigate Sue advised me a juvenile whale surfaced right behind the boat and it was so close she could have stepped off the boat onto the nead of the whale.
During the day we came acorss a whale asleep on the surface with her calf. It was only the water breaking over her that I spotted her on the surface.
I keep a much better watch now and still happy to do nightime trips provided I have at least half a moon for light.

Greg and Sue
Sunshine
Lagoon 410 S2
Lake Macquarie NSW
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 02:55   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

I was at Airlie Beach about 10 years ago when there was an incident with a broaching whale landing on a charter boat. I seem to recall the mast came down and part of the deck was collapsed but no one was injured. However, if I now sail up to broaching whales or mothers with calves I start the engine and let it idle until clear of them.

They are a wonderful sight and I always enjoy seeing them.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 04:25   #5

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Re: Whale Dangers?

A couple of years ago, I was helping my brother bring his boat up the Baja coast and we were following the rescue of a single-handed sailor on the VHF who was abandoning ship because of hitting a whale. We offered our assistance but the rescue was taking place about 60 miles away.

This is another account of a serious contact with a whale: Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 05:38   #6

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

If you are motoring, they know you are there..

If not, put the stereo on...

..now, do i know for 100% that it works?.. nope, but seems plausible andhumpbacks keeping to 5 boat lengths away was certainly close enough
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 07:36   #7

Mystic38, I would definitely not recommend turning on the stereo. I met two different people from trimarans that were holed by whales between Mexico and the Marquesas. The first person told me they were sailing along with whales and a crew member turned the stereo up loud and they were quickly hit and holed. It took them 3 weeks to stagger back to the Mexican coast. I had doubts about his story, but a few years later I was talking to an old friend and he told me that on the way to the Marquesas they had been sailing in a pod of Pilot whales for a couple of hours when a crew member came on deck and started playing a flute. They were almost immediately rammed and holed and the whole pod disappeared . Being young Santa Cruz sailors and surfers, they went over the side and put a patch over the hole and carried on with their passage. I trust this mans word completely. He is a calm, rational, no B.S. sort of guy. I also was surrounded by pilot whales (at least I think thats what they were) on the way to the Marquesas, but the girlfriend and I just sat near the bow and enjoyed the incredible sight. Being a small slow monohull, we only kept their attention for about 20 minutes and then they headed off away from us. Motor sounds or maybe turn on the depth sounder, but I would be careful about music. Just my thoughts. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 07:54   #8

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Run your depth sounder at all times while under sail only
Old 20-06-2017, 08:02   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

We mainly have Orcas (I know they are not whales) and Humpbacks around here.

The Orcas don't worry me at all (they seem very switched on) but the Humpbacks seem really kinda dozy
Old 20-06-2017, 08:03   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

Also statistically red bottoms are hit a bunch more than other colours for some reason
Old 20-06-2017, 08:33   #11

Boat: Catalina 320

For the most part they know exactly where you are, the one under water behind the boat, came over to us and swam in the shade under the boat, he'd come out to the side to blow then go back under the boat. Once in awhile I've had an alarming moment where you are cruising along at speed and they come up to blow right in front of you. Humpbacks however are kinda unpredictable and really rambunctious, lots of breaching in different directions and I've seen 6 breach in a circle very close to small boats, give them room.
Click image for larger version

Name:	above.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	150251

Click image for larger version

Name:	under.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	150252
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 14:57   #12

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

A local whalewatch tour co. with 40+ yrs experience.
Pics & videos
Enjoy
https://www.facebook.com/Seawatchtours/

https://www.facebook.com/whalesnsails/?hc_location=ufi
Old 20-06-2017, 15:14   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Run your depth sounder at all times while under sail only
That doesn't seem to make much difference. Coming in and out of San Francisco we see lots of whales and they get *very* close sometimes. I know a couple of boats that were hit or ran into whales, and we had a glancing blow from a surfacing humpback ourselves. All boats had their nav electronics turned on, including sonar.

In our case we were sailing towards the Golden Gate coming home from Hawaii, and about 50 miles offshore two humpbacks surfaced in front of us. We were able to veer enough that it was a glancing blow. As we hit, the whale slapped us with its flukes and dove. We got a video of the encounter:

Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 15:27   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Mystic38, I would definitely not recommend turning on the stereo. I met two different people from trimarans that were holed by whales between Mexico and the Marquesas. The first person told me they were sailing along with whales and a crew member turned the stereo up loud and they were quickly hit and holed. It took them 3 weeks to stagger back to the Mexican coast. I had doubts about his story, but a few years later I was talking to an old friend and he told me that on the way to the Marquesas they had been sailing in a pod of Pilot whales for a couple of hours when a crew member came on deck and started playing a flute. They were almost immediately rammed and holed and the whole pod disappeared . Being young Santa Cruz sailors and surfers, they went over the side and put a patch over the hole and carried on with their passage. I trust this mans word completely. He is a calm, rational, no B.S. sort of guy. I also was surrounded by pilot whales (at least I think thats what they were) on the way to the Marquesas, but the girlfriend and I just sat near the bow and enjoyed the incredible sight. Being a small slow monohull, we only kept their attention for about 20 minutes and then they headed off away from us. Motor sounds or maybe turn on the depth sounder, but I would be careful about music. Just my thoughts. _____Grant.
Hmm. I know my daughter slugs me when I turn on what she considers offensive music... (Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett?) Maybe try playing Jimmy Buffett? My daughter recommends "Besame Mucho." Ok, that's a joke.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 17:59   #15

Boat: Lagoon 420

Wow ! Great range of stories there, some I wish I hadn't heard !! Traveling mostly during the day I feel safe just keep a watch out and avoid getting in the middle of a Pod. Great advice and a range of things to think about. Confused about the music, but think Beatles should be OK? Love the collective wisdom of this forum.
Thanks Everyone,
Pirate Pete
PiratePete56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
danger